Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Did Fans Stop Running on the Field When The Home Team Wins the World Series?

When Did Fans Stop Running on the Field When The Home Team Wins the World Series?

I have no idea. I'm guessing the early '90's.

I dont remember fans runnning onto the field in the 80's. I think the Phillies in 1980 with those police dogs put a stop to it. Thats a good question though. I wonder when fans last ran onto the field. I would think the 80's may have had some.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Blog Entries
    Very very few fans went out onto the field after Carter's shot to win it in Game 6 of the 1993 WS. Security got onto the field pretty quick and had it empty of anybody who wasn't supposed to be there very quickly.

I could be wrong but didnt the Tiger fans run on the field in 84.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Blog Entries
    A very small handful of fans got onto the field after the final out in 1986 but then they sent in the cavalry and I doubt anyone wanted to risk getting trampled by horses so they stayed in the stands.

St. Louis did in 1982.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

I believe I read that when the Twins won the World Series in 1987, there were some incidents of fans running on the field and stealing pieces of turf.

Blog Entries
    I think Chris Chambliss's series winning home run in the 1976 ALCS, was the last time that there was total chaos on the field, with thousands of fans spilling onto the diamond.

The fans charged the field at the end of the 1977 World Series. Reggie Jackson was seen knocking two fans over as he ran to the dugout. Earlier in the inning fans were shown with their legs over the wall in right field and Jackson had to go to the dugout for a batting helmet because fans in right were throwing fire crackers on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    I could be wrong but didnt the Tiger fans run on the field in 84.
    Yes, they did.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Yes, they did.
    Unless somebody has a more recent one, this appears to be the answer.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I think Chris Chambliss's series winning home run in the 1976 ALCS, was the last time that there was total chaos on the field, with thousands of fans spilling onto the diamond.
    Since you're including a non-WS game, then so am I (1986)...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPp57...eature=related

That would be something fun to organize.
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

Never in my lifetime saw fans get onto the field on the World Series, now its more about security on the players so they can only celebrate also that right now, the home team that wins the World Series they get the trophy presented onto the field and not in the clubhouse like in the old days.
    Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Michael Cuddyer, Colorado Rockies (August 17, 2014)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Jordan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals (September 28, 2014)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Blog Entries
    After the Tigers won the Series in 1984 the fans rioted in Detroit and it was a huge black eye for MLB.

But I believe this clip of the 1985 series shows fans running onto the field.

They should do that again, it looks fun
    Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Michael Cuddyer, Colorado Rockies (August 17, 2014)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Jordan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals (September 28, 2014)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    St. Louis did in 1982.
    Yes they did. I have pitchers mound dirt.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    The fans charged the field at the end of the 1977 World Series. Reggie Jackson was seen knocking two fans over as he ran to the dugout. Earlier in the inning fans were shown with their legs over the wall in right field and Jackson had to go to the dugout for a batting helmet because fans in right were throwing fire crackers on the field.
    That game was on ESPN Classic today, Reggie went out of his way to knock two guys over - typical Reggie.

I don't remember it ever happening in the 90s. After the 80s baseball crowds seemed to be pretty much beaten into observance of the law. To the point nowadays if a fan even reaches over the fence at a ballgame to touch a bit of dirt, he has security all over his ass. It's the same in all sports, it's the same in European football which once had a massive culture of fans flooding the field after almost every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
    That game was on ESPN Classic today, Reggie went out of his way to knock two guys over - typical Reggie.

I don't remember it ever happening in the 90s. After the 80s baseball crowds seemed to be pretty much beaten into observance of the law. To the point nowadays if a fan even reaches over the fence at a ballgame to touch a bit of dirt, he has security all over his ass. It's the same in all sports, it's the same in European football which once had a massive culture of fans flooding the field after almost every game.
    I'm no fan of Reggie Jackson, but watching that game makes me think that all he wanted to go was get off the field as quickly as he could.

I'm a fan of secutiry all over people who reach over the railing. I don't think fans ever have an excuse to encroach the field of play.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    I'm no fan of Reggie Jackson, but watching that game makes me think that all he wanted to go was get off the field as quickly as he could.

I'm a fan of secutiry all over people who reach over the railing. I don't think fans ever have an excuse to encroach the field of play.
    They're definitely over zealous with keeping fans in line. As long as it's not interfering with the actual game, I'm a fan of a bit of ballpark rowdiness. There's no harm in it.

They're definitely over zealous with keeping fans in line. As long as it's not interfering with the actual game, I'm a fan of a bit of ballpark rowdiness. There's no harm in it.
    After what happened with that Giant fan last year, I doubt MLB would agree with you. It's not worth the risk.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

I'm no fan of ballpark rowdiness. I remember it from the 70s and 80s and have no desire to see it again.

After the 80s baseball crowds seemed to be pretty much beaten into observance of the law. To the point nowadays if a fan even reaches over the fence at a ballgame to touch a bit of dirt, he has security all over his ass.
    During a tour of Yankee Stadium in 2008 - a tour, mind you, not an actual game - I saw a couple of fans scoop up some dirt from the warning track. "Security" made them dump it back on the ground.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

I know some Royals fans took to the field in 1985. They mainly just milled around in shock. I thought the Mets fans went crazy in 1986 though. Could be a false memory.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    I know some Royals fans took to the field in 1985. They mainly just milled around in shock. I thought the Mets fans went crazy in 1986 though. Could be a false memory.
    The Mets celebration was controversial at the time because several Mets players were drinking champagne on the mound after game 7. I don't think the fans went on the field after the game though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast