Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Is Freddy Sanchez done?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17

    Is Freddy Sanchez done?

    Is Freddy Sanchez done?

    Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Sanchez had a setback while rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder in the minors, with manager Bruce Bochy describing it as “a little tightness in the shoulder.”

    Bochy classified the situation as “a setback” but also added that “we’re hoping it’s a minor one.”

    Come on guys is any setback with Sanchez minor? He has not even been on the field on defense yet. If the Giants feel he is need him to get into the playoffs or even past the first round they need to act now. I am not sure they can't do with what they have, but that is management's call.

    Your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,416
    It's troubling that Sanchez can't seem to rehab the shoulder. It's been quite a while since he's injured it, and one would think that if it was going to have healed, it would have done so by now. I think Sabes and Boch are pretty much thinking that Freddy will be a no-show for 2012 and are moving on from there.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    It's troubling that Sanchez can't seem to rehab the shoulder. It's been quite a while since he's injured it, and one would think that if it was going to have healed, it would have done so by now. I think Sabes and Boch are pretty much thinking that Freddy will be a no-show for 2012 and are moving on from there.
    If Sanchez is done for 2012 I hope Burriss gets the lion share of the time at second. I think he will surprise management with his play.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    If Sanchez is done for 2012 I hope Burriss gets the lion share of the time at second. I think he will surprise management with his play.
    Evidently Freddy had a setback, he wont even attempt to play for another week. Ya gotta feel sorry for him...
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    At this point I don't believe the Giants think there is much chance he will return. I really feel sorry for Freddy as he gave all he had to the game, and when healthy he was one great player.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,217
    Blog Entries
    1
    I can think of few guys who have been given as many chances as Burriss has over the years...its almost like the Giants see something in him that they do not want to give up on...however, in the end, rarely produces...I am not a Giants fan either...the Giants need players to fit their stadium and the lack of home runs the stadium produces...they need some pop and some speed, and they do not seem to address that very much...Cabrera was an decent pick up, but Pagan was a head-scratcher in my opinion...Sanchez may not be back in the near future, but may want to start looking to address the position in trade somehow

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    I can think of few guys who have been given as many chances as Burriss has over the years...its almost like the Giants see something in him that they do not want to give up on...however, in the end, rarely produces...I am not a Giants fan either...the Giants need players to fit their stadium and the lack of home runs the stadium produces...they need some pop and some speed, and they do not seem to address that very much...Cabrera was an decent pick up, but Pagan was a head-scratcher in my opinion...Sanchez may not be back in the near future, but may want to start looking to address the position in trade somehow
    What Burriss has is speed, and a fair glove. I think he could be a .260 to .270 hitter, and I think the Giants would be happy with that as long as he plays defense. They do need a power hitter that will give them 35 to 40 HR'S. Where they find this player I have no clue.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    Sanchez may not be back in the near future, but may want to start looking to address the position in trade somehow
    What you may not know is that the Giants have their 2Bman of the future in A ball right now, so I doubt they want to commit long term to someone at that position.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,217
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    What you may not know is that the Giants have their 2Bman of the future in A ball right now, so I doubt they want to commit long term to someone at that position.
    A ball? Can't count on that...looking perhaps at best two years then before he come up

  10. #10
    I really feel bad for Freddy. He was always one of my favorite players. He was injured a couple of times in the minors and that slowed him down- but, he ALWAYS hit. He didn't get a break with the Pirates until he was 27- he hit well and played really good defense at 3rd base. Won a BA title the next year- really hit the ball well. Freddy never walked much, but he was an excellent contact hitter who had quite a few line drives for extra base hits. Arm/shoulder problems made it tough for him at 2B, but overall he did a good job there. Without injuries, I believe Freddy would have been an all star at least 2 or 3 additional times. It's really going to be hard for him to come back at age 34, but I'm rooting for him.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    What you may not know is that the Giants have their 2Bman of the future in A ball right now, so I doubt they want to commit long term to someone at that position.
    Do you mean Joe P.? Many things can happen on the way to the show so excuse me if I need to wait a bit longer before I will agree.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    I really feel bad for Freddy. He was always one of my favorite players. He was injured a couple of times in the minors and that slowed him down- but, he ALWAYS hit. He didn't get a break with the Pirates until he was 27- he hit well and played really good defense at 3rd base. Won a BA title the next year- really hit the ball well. Freddy never walked much, but he was an excellent contact hitter who had quite a few line drives for extra base hits. Arm/shoulder problems made it tough for him at 2B, but overall he did a good job there. Without injuries, I believe Freddy would have been an all star at least 2 or 3 additional times. It's really going to be hard for him to come back at age 34, but I'm rooting for him.
    I agree Ron, but I fear we may have seen the last of a useful Freddy Sanchez. I hope I am wrong, but I think it is over for him.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,779
    I think, and have thought for a while, that Freddy is likely done. I don't think his shoulder can take the rigors of MLB anymore. I hope he proves me wrong, as that would benefit the team greatly. However, I do believe in Burriss. I don't agree that he's been given many undue chances, either. His first year in the majors he hit .283, warrenting more playing time, but instead saw less his second year, struggling in the face of inconsistent playing time. The next season he spent the majority of in the minors. Then last season they were forced to turn to him in the absence of Sanchez, so Cap78, I really don't agree with you. He's a former first round pick so it's clear that management believes he has some measure of talent, so you can't blame them for giving him a chance in spring training, where he earned his chance to play now. He's done ok so far, better than Ryan Theriot. I like his speed and his glove, as well as his energy level.

    However, while I really like Panik, I don't agree that he is the clear cut 2B of the future, or that A-ball is as far as they need to look. Charlie Culberson has been playing quite well so far in Fresno (Triple-A ball, of course), and I really like Double-A 2B Ryan Cavan. Conor Gillaspie has played mostly 3B (and a little 1B this year) in the minors but I believe he could probably make the conversion to 2B as well, and he's hitting the ball real well too.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    I think, and have thought for a while, that Freddy is likely done. I don't think his shoulder can take the rigors of MLB anymore. I hope he proves me wrong, as that would benefit the team greatly. However, I do believe in Burriss. I don't agree that he's been given many undue chances, either. His first year in the majors he hit .283, warrenting more playing time, but instead saw less his second year, struggling in the face of inconsistent playing time. The next season he spent the majority of in the minors. Then last season they were forced to turn to him in the absence of Sanchez, so Cap78, I really don't agree with you. He's a former first round pick so it's clear that management believes he has some measure of talent, so you can't blame them for giving him a chance in spring training, where he earned his chance to play now. He's done ok so far, better than Ryan Theriot. I like his speed and his glove, as well as his energy level.

    However, while I really like Panik, I don't agree that he is the clear cut 2B of the future, or that A-ball is as far as they need to look. Charlie Culberson has been playing quite well so far in Fresno (Triple-A ball, of course), and I really like Double-A 2B Ryan Cavan. Conor Gillaspie has played mostly 3B (and a little 1B this year) in the minors but I believe he could probably make the conversion to 2B as well, and he's hitting the ball real well too.
    Don't forget Buster. He would not be the first catcher to switch to 2B. I also believe he player some second in college. The day will come when the Giants will move Posey to another position to help give him a longer career.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Don't forget Buster. He would not be the first catcher to switch to 2B. I also believe he player some second in college. The day will come when the Giants will move Posey to another position to help give him a longer career.
    Buster is not moving to 2B.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Buster is not moving to 2B.
    Interesting! Do you have some inside information? You say that like a person who can back that up with a fact, and not like a wild personal opinion.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,416
    More likely by far is a permanent move of Buster to 1B, because H. Sanchez seems to be the real deal both behind the plate and at the bat. Hector is putting Boch and Sabes on the spot with his play, and may force some moves down the line. And shoot, even Brett Pill is pushing for more playing time by his play. This may get complecated!

    Which also means that Brandon Belt better get used to playing LF if he wants to play.

    For the record, while I do believe that Joe Panik will eventually be the long term solution at 2B, I don't honsetly think that that will happed before the ASG in 2014. My point is that I don't want the team to get tied down to a long term contract at that position, because I am very optimistic that Panik will turn out to be something special. But obviously we are a ways away from knowing whether that will happen or not.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,779
    Let's not forget, Panik has still never played a game at second base in his professional career.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Let's not forget, Panik has still never played a game at second base in his professional career.
    Now we have a fact that everyone can agree upon if by professional you mean major league baseball? On this point we are on the same page.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Interesting! Do you have some inside information? You say that like a person who can back that up with a fact, and not like a wild personal opinion.
    No, I just even fathom him moving to 2B, that's all. First base, sure, second base? No way.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Now we have a fact that everyone can agree upon if by professional you mean major league baseball? On this point we are on the same page.
    No, I mean as a paid professional. He hasn't playing an inning at 2B in the minors. I suppose you could count the AFL last fall, but statistically, he has no actual innings played as a professional. He has played 91 games as a SS and 1 as a DH in his brief pro career.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    No, I just even fathom him moving to 2B, that's all. First base, sure, second base? No way.
    It would not be the first time. Buster played second in college and as far as it could not happen tell that to Craig Biggio.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    No, I mean as a paid professional. He hasn't playing an inning at 2B in the minors. I suppose you could count the AFL last fall, but statistically, he has no actual innings played as a professional. He has played 91 games as a SS and 1 as a DH in his brief pro career.
    Brief pro career are the key words. There is plenty of time to make the switch.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    It would not be the first time. Buster played second in college and as far as it could not happen tell that to Craig Biggio.




    Brief pro career are the key words. There is plenty of time to make the switch.
    Yes, and had Buster stayed at SS in college, he would have quickly been moved away from there as a pro. He has not got the range for 2B. Biggio had speed, Posey does not. I could see him at 3B, though with Sandoval an all-star and Gillaspie on the outside looking in, I think 1B is the most likely destination if he were to be moved from behind the plate. On the other hand, he's such a good defensive catcher that I would hesitate to move permanently.

    Of course there is time for Panik to make the switch to 2B, but I am merely stating that people need to remember that he is still a SS, not a 2B as yet. Most people, myself included, expect that he will eventually make the transistion to the other side of the infield, but as of now he has yet to play a single inning there as a pro.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    21,087
    I still don't understand this all this talk about Posey moving to first base base? First base is a slugger's position and Posey is not a slugger. Plus, a lot of Posey's value is tied to him being a great defensive catcher. Besides I am still a Brandon Belt fan and I believe Belt will hit like Justin Morneau when he gets it going.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I still don't understand this all this talk about Posey moving to first base base? First base is a slugger's position and Posey is not a slugger. Plus, a lot of Posey's value is tied to him being a great defensive catcher. Besides I am still a Brandon Belt fan and I believe Belt will hit like Justin Morneau with he gets it going.
    I'm with you on this, 100%.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •