Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum of ten years experience

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    which are those players with less than 10 years that should be in the HOF? even sandy koufax, the prime example of a short career had 12 seasons (not all of them great of course). I cannot think of a player with less than 10 years who should be in.
    Perhaps you need to re-read the post of mine you quoted?

You're AGREEING with me...
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Dizzy Dean had his ten years. You may not think he warrants induction based on his low career totals (innings pitched, etc), but he meets the criteria

The only real was Joss, who played 9 years and then died before the 10th season started. Dying in your prime is a good enough reason for me for an excpetion to be made to add him to the list of eligible candidates - it would then be up to the voters to decide if he did enough in his short career to warrant induction - which you may or may not agree with - but I have no problem with him being included as eligible
    You're right, Dean had 12 years.

Of course, here are his IP totals in some of them:
    1930 - 9
    1941 - 1
    1947 - 4

Anyone could accumulate numbers like this. Though he may have appeared in 12 seasons, he did not play 12 seasons -- he played 6.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    which are those players with less than 10 years that should be in the HOF? even sandy koufax, the prime example of a short career had 12 seasons (not all of them great of course). I cannot think of a player with less than 10 years who should be in.
    This guy was pretty good in 8 seasons:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl.../orrda01.shtml

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    If the current system could be improved with 100 different eligibility rules, ALL of them an improvement, then Would the HOF not have serious membership issues? Significant and numerous election errors?
    Yes and It does. One-quarter of the players in the HOF are mistakes, meaning they are not among the best 236 players they could have elected. About half of these are gross errors, meaning they are no better qualified than a couple hundred overlooked players. We have had a lot of threads over the years here at BBF addressing this topic, and those are the general conclusions.
    A long list of players with LESS than 10 years who are clearly HOF worthy but were not eligible, much less elected?
    Better to say a long list of players who were clearly HOF worthy before they had played in ten years.
    Eradicate, wipe out and abolish redundancy.

Free El Duque!(and Mark Mulder) -- discover how the HOF rules are cheating this renowned member of Torre's Yankees dynasty and ask the HOF to include him on the ballot for the next BBWAA election.

I don't think the ten season cut-off has anything to do with plate appearances or innings pitched.

I think they (insert your own definition of "they" here) wish to see what kind of impact a player had when at least ten different World Championships were up for grabs and the guy played well enough to have SOME impact on those races.

Maybe I am wrong, but as each season starts a new run for the title I would think a player's total impact on individual seasons is at least as important as how much he played in any one of them.

"They" must believe there is more historical significance in playing ten years averaging 420 plate appearances compared to seven seasons at 600 plate appearances. That makes no sense to me either, but my opinion does not matter.

Another thing to consider. Imagine the old guy in the corner saying "If he were any dang good, he would have played AT LEAST ten years!"

Maybe that guy's voice is louder than you think.
    Your Second Base Coach
    If Rfield was a better stat, and actually measured fielding ability, we would not need Rpos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

According to Addie Joss' wiki bio, the NBHOFM did not waive the 10 year rule for him. They justified his inclusion by pointing out that he started out the spring of a 10th year on a roster and as such qualified under the 10 year rule.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    According to Addie Joss' wiki bio, the NBHOFM did not waive the 10 year rule for him. They justified his inclusion by pointing out that he started out the spring of a 10th year on a roster and as such qualified under the 10 year rule.
    That is a creative and unique application of the 10 year rule. IOW they waived the rule for Joss.

Free El Duque!(and Mark Mulder) -- discover how the HOF rules are cheating this renowned member of Torre's Yankees dynasty and ask the HOF to include him on the ballot for the next BBWAA election.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
    One-quarter of the players in the HOF are mistakes....... We have had a lot of threads over the years here at BBF addressing this topic, and those are the general conclusions. Better to say a long list of players who were clearly HOF worthy before they had played in ten years.
    The online posts of .000000000000000001% of baseball fans does not a concensus make.

If you or anyone truly feel 25% of an institution is in error, then it's easy, simply ignore it. Same with music/art/motion pictures, and all other entertainment.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Blog Entries
    The online posts of .000000000000000001% of baseball fans does not a concensus make.
    True, but we're not talking about a consensus of random fans. We're talking about the scholars here at BBF.

If you or anyone truly feel 25% of an institution is in error, then it's easy, simply ignore it.
    That's one option, but not at all helpful. You can be happy with the status quo, or you can seek to make the world better.

True, but we're not talking about a consensus of random fans. We're talking about the scholars here at BBF.

That's one option, but not at all helpful. You can be happy with the status quo, or you can seek to make the world better.
    The scholars are not infallible. Sometimes change for change's sake is actually regression.

Blog Entries
    The scholars are not infallible. Sometimes change for change's sake is actually regression.
    These are your best arguments in defense of the 10-year rule?

These are your best arguments in defense of the 10-year rule?
    Not unless you're cherry picking...

Perhaps similar to those who shout about player X Y of Z being not worthy of election, oblivious or at the very least incapable of fully understanding the writers mindset at the time.

If they make exceptions, then there is no 10 year minimum rule.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    If they make exceptions, then there is no 10 year minimum rule.
    Unless one is seeking to make the world a better place.

Unless one is seeking to make the world a better place.
    I can understand maybe if someone great dies in his 9th year, but never should we make exceptions if i guy just feels like retiring.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Blog Entries
    I can understand maybe if someone great dies in his 9th year, but never should we make exceptions if i guy just feels like retiring.
    With what the players are making, that's not likely. You're talking devastating injury or illness for a guy to play less than 10. If a guy had been hurt by an accident with a drunk driver, the sympathy factor would be overwhelming if he had already been widely regarded as doing everything needed but put in 10 for the Hall.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Agree 100%

Blog Entries
    Agree 100%
    Stan, if you could just answer one question I would appreciate it: Why does the Hall need the 10-year rule?

Stan, if you could just answer one question I would appreciate it: Why does the Hall need the 10-year rule?
    Need? Well, it could exist without it of course, so "need" is not the best choice of word imo. An arbitrary cutoff relative to years of service seems plausible for any body honoring achievement in just about any walk of life. With regards to a baseball player's career, 10 is an acceptable line in the sand when looking at the career length of most players. Good players get several years. Excellent ballplayers almost always achieve more han that, and the truly special reach ten years or more BECAUSE they are special.

It's not a perfect number, but I don't feel evidence exists that's incorrect or harmful to the process. Nor does the Hall.

Vince Coleman was as good as nearly any base stealer of all time for three seasons. Should he be inducted? You may say that the rest of his career wasn't good enough, and you'd be right. But the 10 year "rule" in place at Cooperstown forces you to look at at least ten years of his or any player's career.

In my mind, thats a good thing and helpful to the voters.

We have enough debate over who should be in and who should not be in WITH the rule in place now. I don't see he Hall changing it... They are not exactly a progressive, change the rules often kind of organization.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12