Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone in history have a better first 124 innings in the MLB than Strasburg??

There isnt a comparison but Chris Sale of the Whitesox has 120 innings pitched now for his career and i'd say he's started out his first 120 pretty good too.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Anyway its too bad he's turning 24 soon and only has 124 career innings.

Given how bad the record is for pitchers overused before age 25, I don't know that I would call this a bad thing.

Unless you mean that it is unfortunate that he had surgery and missed so much time, in which case it is a shame.

Most of the guys who seem to last forever are not overworked young. There are exceptions of course.
    Last edited by dl4060; 05-01-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Yep again Chris Sale had a great game. slow and steady.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dl4060 View Post
    Given how bad the record is for pitchers overused before age 25, I don't know that I would call this a bad thing.

Unless you mean that it is unfortunate that he had surgery and missed so much time, in which case it is a shame.

Most of the guys who seem to last forever are not overworked young. There are exceptions of course.
    Of course Strasburg already had to have surgery after < 124 IP in MLB. Sometimes $%#@ happens.

I'll leave it for someone else to run the numbers, but pitchers I recall as starting out well are Juan Marichal, Dennis Eckersley, and Tim Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by dl4060 View Post

Actually it might be brilliant. A few all time greats had a great season before their age 24 season: Clemens won a Cy Young in '86 but was only about a month older than Strasburg is now. Seaver won in his third year when he was 24 but was almost a full year older. Carlton, Seaver, Maddux, Clemens, Pedro and Randy Johnson (who did not pitch at all before his age 24 season) went a combined 182-120, or an average of only 30-20 prior to their age 24 season and Strasburg is still technically in his age 23 season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by csh19792001 View Post
    Did anyone in MLB history have better (all around) "stuff" than Strasburg? His arsenal, when he first came up was like nothing I've ever seen. Like Pedro, but with much better curve, and another 5 mph on his fastball.

I'd like to hear the thoughts/impressions of people that go back many decades here.
    Strasburg was highly touted at the end of his college career. He first came the attention of many with his crazy performances at San Diego State which include:

-a 23 strikeout game
    -a no-hitter
    -supposedly hitting 105 mph with his fastball
    -Being the first collegiate player selected to the U.S. Olympic team since professionals were put on the roster in 2000

Strasburg's development in college was rare/strange. He was undrafted out of high school. In high school he was a nothing prospect with a fastball under 90 mph. He was fat and nonathletic (listed at 6'4", 250 lbs then). Scouts saw a big fat kid who had makeup issues. He would throw temper tantrums on the field in front of scouts. When he wanted to walk on at San Diego State the baseball coaching staff took one look at him and wrote him off. One coach told Strasburg he should quit baseball after just one week of working out with the team. He stuck with the team and lost 30 lbs his first semester. He pitched in relief as a freshman. Somehow between his freshman and sophomore years Strasburg added 8 mph to his fastball.

How does a pitcher go from being a fat, perceived as lazy, and a head case to the greatest pitching prospect ever in just three years?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267522.html
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...trasburg032409
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267840.html
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267692.html
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...urg/index.html

I was this close to seeing Strasburg pitch in college in 2009. San Diego State plays in the same conference as Santa Clara University. Strasburg was going to pitch on May 1, 2009 at Santa Clara. I live about a two minute walk from Santa Clara's ballpark. However, April 30th is my wedding anniversary and my wife wanted to go away for the weekend so I missed the game.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-02-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Wasn't a similar thread started about Phil Hughes about this time last year or so? Not the innings part, but about his start being among the best ever?

*ahem*
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Wasn't a similar thread started about Phil Hughes about this time last year or so? Not the innings part, but about his start being among the best ever?

*ahem*
    Yes, blackout is easily impressed.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

*ahem*
    phil hughes didn't hit triple digits and wasn't a number 1 overall pick.

Strasburgh is for real. he has the talent to be as good as anyone. but of course only if he stays healthy. the early surgery is a huge concern. he could be pedro martinez but he also could be dwight gooden...
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Captain Cold Case clearly must not be watching the same things I am if he doesn't think Strasburg is on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Captain Cold Case clearly must not be watching the same things I am if he doesn't think Strasburg is on fire
    I agree with you that he is on fire. I shouldn't be on this site if I wasn't impressed by him. But, and this note's for you, dominik, I'm just saying you were pretty impressed by Hughes going into last season.

But, yeah, Strasberg is living up to expectations beyond his w-l record.
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Fernando Valenzuela easy

Quote Originally Posted by BondsOverBabe View Post
    Fernando Valenzuela easy
    Hype>accomplishment
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Hype>accomplishment
    I fully endorse this notion.

Today it's much easier to separate the true sensations from those whom are just overhyped by the mass media looking for that "next big thing" to make into a cultural thing.

But sometimes it's just plain fun to follow those types of sensations as well. Case in point, one of the Cap's RIPs in his sig.

For me, Kerry Wood comes to mind. 21 years old, 233 Ks, 117 hits allowed in 166.2 innings, 129 ERA+, anchored the Cubs staff to the postseason and threw the most dominant 9 inning game in the history of baseball (Bill James Game Score of 105). Stuff wise, every bit as good as Strasburg, with the best slider I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Today it's much easier to separate the true sensations from those whom are just overhyped by the mass media looking for that "next big thing" to make into a cultural thing.
    Like that 19 year-old kid who just came to the Nationals? What's his name...I hear it on 20 different baseball media for at least an hour a day...Bruce Honker? Nah. I'll get back to you when I think of it
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
    For me, Kerry Wood comes to mind. 21 years old, 233 Ks, 117 hits allowed in 166.2 innings, 129 ERA+, anchored the Cubs staff to the postseason and threw the most dominant 9 inning game in the history of baseball (Bill James Game Score of 105). Stuff wise, every bit as good as Strasburg, with the best slider I've ever seen.
    I'm not being nit-picky, but wasn't it a slurve and that's what caused injury to his arm and later career hardships?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    I'm not being nit-picky, but wasn't it a slurve and that's what caused injury to his arm and later career hardships?
    Whatever it was, it might be the best hard breaking pitch ever. Can't recall so many great hitters looking so bad.

So many theories on why Wood broke down. Most attribute it to throwing incredibly hard across the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    Like that 19 year-old kid who just came to the Nationals? What's his name...I hear it on 20 different baseball media for at least an hour a day...Bruce Honker? Nah. I'll get back to you when I think of it
    In a way I was comparing it to Jeremy Lin, whom somehow wound up on Time Magazine's Top 100 Influential People In The World list this year.

To say nothing about the fact that somehow the media acted like being one of the most touted High School prospects in the state and a Heisman and a National Championship winning QB from a college that has been a national powerhouse for decades (to say nothing about his controversial off the field issues being there from the beginning) was akin to "out of nowhere" just because he was tabbed the starter and his team made an incredible run through the AFC title game.

Yeah, pretty much any of the athletes whom get the literal Andy Warhol 15 minutes of fame treatment from the mainstream mass media.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast