Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Should I be Worried?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    yes. there are quite a few pitching coaches who teach that in order to get more "stretch" and "separation". they want that late and hard forearm turnover to create more arm lag and stretch reflex. this also can work to some degree but comes at the price of high impact on the arm.

    a player might squeeze out an additional MPH or two but it would be better to create that by good actions downstairs instead of extreme actions.
    I feel like I've heard that somewhere before.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    I feel like I've heard that somewhere before.
    didn't you have some arguements with nyman over this? I think he said that there is no proof that those actions really hurt the arm and injuries are mostly "genetics".
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

  3. #23
    Wow! My shoulder hurts just looking at that. I hope you can help him fix that and prolong his career

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Central IL
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by DClutch View Post
    Wow! My shoulder hurts just looking at that. I hope you can help him fix that and prolong his career
    When I saw that, I thought "Zumaya", although Joel's mechanics are less severe than this kid's.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    155
    How do we correct this? In the video it still looks like he does the same thing. His father had a talk with him. Is there a drill he can do?




    http://youtu.be/dwG_NOZNyks?hd=1
    Many Theories One Outcome

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by AL_DAD View Post
    How do we correct this? In the video it still looks like he does the same thing. His father had a talk with him. Is there a drill he can do?

    You're going to have to break down the motion into a couple of "pieces" and have him do it over and over again. Example, first he does his stride and stop at the "equal opposite" portion of the whole delivery. Glove should be pointing at the target with the ball pointing straight back towards second base or 3rd. He'll have to do it over and over again. Then move onto the next portion of the delivery, one step at a time. It's going to be hard changing this, because he's going to have to "think" about pitching again. Right now he just throws the way he always has, he doesn't think about any piece of his delivery. It's all muscle memory. The only way you'll really break this habit is to make something else muscle memory. He's going to pitch "bad" for a while, most likely. It'll take all season unless he's an advanced motor skills learner. This is just my opinion, but that's how I'd go about doing it.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    155
    I believe if he fixes this, he can be a better pitcher. His velocity has gone down every year,and I believe "this" is the culprit.
    Many Theories One Outcome

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by AL_DAD View Post
    How do we correct this? In the video it still looks like he does the same thing. His father had a talk with him. Is there a drill he can do?
    What was he taught? Thumb to thigh?

    I teach pinkie to thigh for this reason.

    He also needs to keep his thumb pointed up during his arm swing (supination), not down.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    What was he taught? Thumb to thigh?

    I teach pinkie to thigh for this reason.

    He also needs to keep his thumb pointed up during his arm swing (supination), not down.
    Not exactly sure what he was taught, but I like your cue of pinkie to the thigh. I told him about keeping his thumb pointed up, but I guess it will take more than on practice for him to get it. I will let his dad know aout the pinkie cue.
    Many Theories One Outcome

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by d-mac View Post
    We have two kids that use a pitching coach. Last tournament I sent several photos to one of our dads that is very similar to this photo with the difference being our player was reaching the ball up to the sky and his arm was completely extended. How can a former D-1 pitcher who is currently a pitching coach not pick up on that immediately?
    Just because you can play the game doesn't mean you can teach it and vice versa.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by AL_DAD View Post
    How do we correct this? In the video it still looks like he does the same thing. His father had a talk with him. Is there a drill he can do?
    Personally I don't see how mechanics can be corrected if a kid is having to move extra weight.

    The father needs to put his son on a diet. There is no reason a kid should be obese at his age.
    Last edited by tradosaurus; 05-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    155
    [QUOTE=tradosaurus;2009867][QUOTE=AL_DAD;2009620]How do we correct this? In the video it still looks like he does the same thing. His father had a talk with him. Is there a drill he can do?


    Personally I don't see how mechanics can be corrected if a kid is having to move extra weight.

    The father needs to put his son on a diet. There is no reason a kid should be obese at his age.
    I disagree because I have seen bigger kids move the weight and have good mechanics. Yes he is a big boy, but so was his brother (A starter Def Line for a D1 School), and he started to shed all the weight once he turned 15. I know for a fact that he doesn't eat sweets, or soda pop, or even Gatorade. He is a hard worker, the weight just doesn't come off! At his Middle School they must be able to Run 4 laps arounfd the school grounds to even get to tryout, and he has done it for the last 2 years and was one of the first to finish!
    Many Theories One Outcome

  13. #33
    [QUOTE=AL_DAD;2009875][QUOTE=tradosaurus;2009867]
    Quote Originally Posted by AL_DAD View Post
    How do we correct this? In the video it still looks like he does the same thing. His father had a talk with him. Is there a drill he can do?

    I disagree because I have seen bigger kids move the weight and have good mechanics. Yes he is a big boy, but so was his brother (A starter Def Line for a D1 School), and he started to shed all the weight once he turned 15. I know for a fact that he doesn't eat sweets, or soda pop, or even Gatorade. He is a hard worker, the weight just doesn't come off! At his Middle School they must be able to Run 4 laps arounfd the school grounds to even get to tryout, and he has done it for the last 2 years and was one of the first to finish!
    I'm not buying it.

    He's eating too much of something. A kid doesn't get a gut doing nothing.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    155
    [QUOTE=tradosaurus;2009916][QUOTE=AL_DAD;2009875]
    Quote Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post

    I'm not buying it.

    He's eating too much of something. A kid doesn't get a gut doing nothing.
    Sorry I should of wrote this in my first response. He does eat too much of the good stuff! lol
    Many Theories One Outcome

  15. #35
    [QUOTE=AL_DAD;2009926][QUOTE=tradosaurus;2009916]
    Quote Originally Posted by AL_DAD View Post

    Sorry I should of wrote this in my first response. He does eat too much of the good stuff! lol

    Now it all makes sense!

    But the Dad is responsible for buying the food. If he truly wants his son to be successful in baseball he needs to take
    control of the situation.
    Last edited by tradosaurus; 05-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •