Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kirk Nieuwenhuis

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    I'm not sure where you getting this conclusion. To me he passes the "eye test" and using UZR or UZR/150 from fangraphs (admittedly only one stat but noone asked for a thesis) out of 23 qualifiyng CF he is 6th and 5th respectively. as I tediously noted abbove by their calculation he made the play on 35/35 balls hit in his zone (whatever that may be). He has made 11 polays out of zone good for 16th which may be why he seems meh to you (the most is 20 and the least is 6). From what I see Austin Jackson comes out as the best CF by a lot. ln all honesty is seems like even the worst guy Granderson has made 39/39 with 13 out of zone in @ 40 more inning than Kirk so I can
    't say I hget it.
    UZR is flawed in small sample sizes (and, sometimes, in general). I've been impressed with Nieuwenhuis's play, but he hasn't really impressed me on the field. He's roughly average -- average range, arm...etc.

Blog Entries
    Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this. ...but I think he passes the "eye test" as well, and he has gads of time and space for improvement. He won't get that as quickly in a position he's never played before.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    Are you still raging on about Alderson when this thread has nothing to do with him? Is there any reason why you need to bash and derail every thread with your ignorant rants?
    That's a personal attack - "ignorant rants" - Mr. Lighted Vending Equipment.

But I'll ignore it in light of your inexperience in such matters. And point out what every long-term baseball fan knows - protect-your-boss is pretty standard corporate behavior everywhere, but in MLB it's rampant where free agents and trade acquisitions are concerned. Has been for years. Most managers will go with the talent the GM acquired by FA or trade and termed "the starter" in the ensuing press conference. They'll always go with the guy who's paid more. Nothing particular to Collins and Alderson in this case, just the typical profile.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Anyway.....to move away from the silliness of some and back to the topic....

I'm a pretty big Kirk fan, however, he only makes sense in CF because he doesn't have the pop to play a corner OF spot. He's a better defender than most give him credit for and he seems to get good jumps on the ball. He's a keeper but its all a matter of who else is on the team. For instance, the way the team is constructed now they are in DESPERATE need of another RH power hitter. Preferably to play RF and slide Duda into LF. If Bay could only regain his form, we'd have a damn good lineup imo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    UZR is flawed in small sample sizes (and, sometimes, in general). I've been impressed with Nieuwenhuis's play, but he hasn't really impressed me on the field. He's roughly average -- average range, arm...etc.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post

I'm a pretty big Kirk fan, however, he only makes sense in CF because he doesn't have the pop to play a corner OF spot. He's a better defender than most give him credit for and he seems to get good jumps on the ball. He's a keeper but its all a matter of who else is on the team. For instance, the way the team is constructed now they are in DESPERATE need of another RH power hitter. Preferably to play RF and slide Duda into LF. If Bay could only regain his form, we'd have a damn good lineup imo.
    I think Bay would be a better fit in CF, maybe he'd benefit from not running into the corner outfield wall every game. KN would be a better fit in LF than Baxter and could split time with the likes of Hairston.

Blog Entries

This I can agree with. At least Kirk's previously played rightfield. I prefer center, but I'll accept right. Left is an experiment I'm simple unwilling to take right now. Now, I'm not very big into coincidences, but Kirk's played left for three straight games and the Mets have lost all three. Are they related? Perhaps not. But perhaps. ...especially since Collins has been bouncing him around the lineup as he fills in for the guys taking days off.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Exactly - away from the silliness indeed. Kirk should be playing CF every day. Collins needs to ignore the by-the-book play the highly-paid guy. Let's see what we have. The guy's not slow, either.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12