Thread: Which Other Opponent Should the Mets Acknowledge?

Which Other Opponent Should the Mets Acknowledge?

I guess Mo is at the top of that list.

Maybe Derek Jeter?

He has a very high career BA against NYM, and he was the 2000 World Series MVP....

I can't see the Mets "acknowledging" any Yankee player.

Now that I think about it, for a team to "acknowledge" another player is perhaps the highest honor they can bestow on someone who never played for them. So this kind of a gesture should be reserved for an opponent on a Cal Ripken level.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I can't see the Mets "acknowledging" any Yankee player.

Now that I think about it, for a team to "acknowledge" another player is perhaps the highest honor they can bestow on someone who never played for them. So this kind of a gesture should be reserved for an opponent on a Cal Ripken level.
    Or perhaps Willie Mays, 1962-1971. Every year, the Mets had a Willie Mays Night first at the Polo Grounds, then at Shea. Then he was a was a Met 1972-1979.
    Put it in the books.

No one. The Chipper situation was unique.

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    Or perhaps Willie Mays, 1962-1971. Every year, the Mets had a Willie Mays Night first at the Polo Grounds, then at Shea. Then he was a was a Met 1972-1979.
    Then the Mets should immediately start acknowledging Stephen Strasberg and Bryce Harper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foulpole View Post
    Then the Mets should immediately start acknowledging Stephen Strasberg and Bryce Harper
    Forgive me, but I don't see the connection.
    Put it in the books.

The Mets acknowledge every visting player who gets on the field - via public address announcement. With the noble exception of major figures in Mets history making return appearances, that should really be enough.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.