Thread: Which Other Opponent Should the Mets Acknowledge?

Which Other Opponent Should the Mets Acknowledge?

I guess Mo is at the top of that list.

Maybe Derek Jeter?

He has a very high career BA against NYM, and he was the 2000 World Series MVP....

I can't see the Mets "acknowledging" any Yankee player.

Now that I think about it, for a team to "acknowledge" another player is perhaps the highest honor they can bestow on someone who never played for them. So this kind of a gesture should be reserved for an opponent on a Cal Ripken level.
    X
    Here's the payoff pitch from Familia to Fowler, on the way... and it's IN THERE! Strike three called! The Mets win the pennant! The New York Mets have won the National League pennant! Put it in the books! The New York Mets for the first time in 15 years are champions of the National League!
    - Howie Rose calls the Mets winning the 2015 National League Championship Series - NYM at CHI, October 21, 2015, WOR Radio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I can't see the Mets "acknowledging" any Yankee player.

Now that I think about it, for a team to "acknowledge" another player is perhaps the highest honor they can bestow on someone who never played for them. So this kind of a gesture should be reserved for an opponent on a Cal Ripken level.
    Or perhaps Willie Mays, 1962-1971. Every year, the Mets had a Willie Mays Night first at the Polo Grounds, then at Shea. Then he was a was a Met 1972-1979.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

No one. The Chipper situation was unique.

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    Or perhaps Willie Mays, 1962-1971. Every year, the Mets had a Willie Mays Night first at the Polo Grounds, then at Shea. Then he was a was a Met 1972-1979.
    Then the Mets should immediately start acknowledging Stephen Strasberg and Bryce Harper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foulpole View Post
    Then the Mets should immediately start acknowledging Stephen Strasberg and Bryce Harper
    Forgive me, but I don't see the connection.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

The Mets acknowledge every visting player who gets on the field - via public address announcement. With the noble exception of major figures in Mets history making return appearances, that should really be enough.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.