Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton- The Next Rickey Henderson?

Blog Entries

Billy Hamilton- The Next Rickey Henderson?

Interesting blog post on Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantas...185139246.html

The skinny, he's only in high A ball, but he looks like he may be the most terrifyingly fast players we've seen in some time. Last season: 103 sbs in 133 attempts (for a solid 77% rate) over just 135 games. They HAVE to know he's going to go, and he's still swiping them. He's swiped 31 bases in 38 tries (84%) this season, in just 26 games.

He's also Baseball America's #48 prospect. But he's far from perfect (and probably not Rickey). He's still low in the system, but he does strike out a bunch, and his defense has not been very good (39 errors, .932 fielding % last year, 8 errors, .922 fielding % this year).

Is he the next Rickey? Probably not. But an amazingly fast player who will sell tickets and terrorize opposing catchers? Possibly.
    Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post

Is he the next Rickey? Probably not. But an amazingly fast player who will sell tickets and terrorize opposing catchers? Possibly.
    Hopefully. Phenomenal speed coupled with super aggression on the paths is part of what makes this game so much fun to watch.

PS- The Billy Hamilton we all know was perhaps the *first* Rickey, not the next.

He's got a great name, anyway.
    "Only twice in my life has the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight. The first time was when I saw Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The second time was when I saw Sandy Koufax's fastball" - Al Campanis.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by csh19792001 View Post
    PS- The Billy Hamilton we all know was perhaps the *first* Rickey, not the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    He's got a great name, anyway.
    Just to clarify for those who don't know:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...amilbi01.shtml

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

It was cool watching him here in Dayton last year.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill JEDI

Can he break Vince Coleman's Minor's record with 145? He's on pace (although Coleman missed the first month with a broken hand).
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Maybe he will be the next Billy Hamilton.
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

This Billy Hamilton looks more like the next Vince Coleman. Hamilton has a 105 BB/254 K ratio so far in the minors. In the minors Rickey had a 240 BB/175 K ratio. This Billy Hamilton is 21 years old and is still only in high A-ball. When Rickey was 21 he was in his second season in the majors and leading the AL in steals with 100, was an All-Star, and finished 10th in the AL MVP voting. When Vince Coleman was 21 he was also in A-ball.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Yea, no way he'll be the next Rickey Henderson. Hopefully he develops a decent bat and sticks around the majors for a while, because I've never seen any true speed demons play (Henderson, Wills, Coleman, etc.)
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Blog Entries
    Bill Hamilton's IPHR. About 14 to 15 seconds long. Which is fast.

Billy Hamilton's SB

Blog Entries
    The next Wily Taveras maybe. If he's lucky.

Maybe he will be the next Herb Washington?
    I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The next Wily Taveras maybe. If he's lucky.
    Outside of the fact that he's nothing like Taveras, sure.

He really strikes out too much. especially for a small man.

that is the problem with aluminum bats. everyone can be a power hitter with them. he probably realized that he could hit HRs if he swings hard enough. but with wood that is not working.
    little guys like him need to go for contact and not trying to take "gangster hacks".

It's ok to strike out 100+ but only if you are a 220 pound power hitter. a 150 pound guy with little power should really be able to make contact.
    also while he certainly is blazing fast don't forget that catchers and pitchers in the majors are much better in preventing steals. so it will be harder to steal that many there.

(he has improved on this though this season but of course the sample size is too small to make conclusions. we will see at the end of the year)
    Last edited by dominik; 05-06-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Honestly forget hitting he should just learn to field and he'll play 15+ years in the league

And he needs to be moved to CF to maximize his value.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Bil-ly Ham-il-ton

Ric-key Hen-der-son

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Does he frequently refer to himself in the third person too?

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Bil-ly Ham-il-ton

Ric-key Hen-der-son

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Does he frequently refer to himself in the third person too?

My son's name follows that pattern too. I'll see if he'll be willing to go for 200 SB.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekD View Post
    My son's name follows that pattern too. I'll see if he'll be willing to go for 200 SB.
    he would need about a .400 OBP to get enough chances (asuming he steals about at 80%).
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    he would need about a .400 OBP to get enough chances (asuming he steals about at 80%).
    Minimum. 200 steals sounds all but impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Minimum. 200 steals sounds all but impossible.
    yeah likely even more. he would need to steal anytime he is on base and since he would also hit some extra basehits he could not steal any time.

realitically he would need to get on base at least 300 times to have a shot. and he would need to steal almost every time of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    yeah likely even more. he would need to steal anytime he is on base and since he would also hit some extra basehits he could not steal any time.

realitically he would need to get on base at least 300 times to have a shot. and he would need to steal almost every time of course.
    In 1982, Rickey Henderson did 130 with a .398 OBP. He was caught stealing 42 times. That's 172 attempts. If anyone could do it with a .400 OBP, it wasn't Henderson. Vince Coleman had a better SB peak, but he could not get on base nearly as much. In 1986, he had 107 SB's and 14 CS' with just a .301 OBP. That's 121 attempts. Perhaps with a .400 OBP he had a shot, but I think even he would have had to have had an OBP of .420+.

100 steals now, in 78 games. On pace for 179.

Blog Entries
    He's only been caught 21 times, so he's doing it at an impressive 83% rate. His .417 OBP is really giving him plenty of opportunities to go, and the other teams have to know he's going to swipe second pretty much every time its open. Told you this guy was fast.

EDIT: Also, that plate discipline he's struggled with in the past seems to have taken a huge step forward.
    Last edited by RubeBaker; 07-03-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    He's playing in a High A league and if it wasn't for the Reds wanting Griffey to tutor Billy he would have advanced by now. Billy should be playing in AA right now against stiffer competition.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast