Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if Chipper goes .300/30/100+

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Might he feel that he owes Atlanta fans his best shot at 500 HRs though (or that not trying would also tarnish his reputation).
    Unless he wanted to go past Matthews on the all-time Braves list (a historic way to go to pass the all-time Brave franchise leader of course), I don't see why 500 would be all that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    Right - if a player makes a huge public spectacle about it (or holds an entire organization hostage in terms of making important decisions i.e. Favre) that is a different story.
    Pretty much. It's one thing if you put on the big show and give reasons about family time and whatnot, and then you just get that itch again.

BTW, speaking of which, refresh my memory, when Ryne Sandberg quit the first time, was it during the offseason or was there time for the Cubs to do a farewell bit with him?

It's amusing as I'm reminded of him with what everyone is saying because there are two USA Today Baseball Weekly (remember that newspaper/magazine?) issues with Sandberg on the cover.

First one, titled "Why Ryno Retired" shows Sandberg at home with his kids and wife from his first marriage.

And the second one as Sandberg was coming out of that retirement titled "Why Ryno Is Returning" featuring Sandberg pictured with his new wife.

Things happen I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    First one, titled "Why Ryno Retired" shows Sandberg at home with his kids and wife from his first marriage.

And the second one as Sandberg was coming out of that retirement titled "Why Ryno Is Returning" featuring Sandberg pictured with his new wife.

Things happen I guess.
    Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
    I love the quote from Chipper after Moyer accused him of stealing signs:

"I mean, dude, we don't need signs, especially for him. I mean, my goodness, every pitch is 78. Come on."

And:

"You question our integrity, that's wrong," Jones said. "I've never accused him of doctoring a baseball. I've never accused him of over-milligraming, nothing. That's [garbage] and he woke us up. I didn't see any signs on the 900-foot homers that were hit."

What is over-milligraming? I'm really going to miss Chipper when he retires.
    So many good quotes after that game, lol.
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

I love the quote from Chipper after Moyer accused him of stealing signs:
    What a (blanking) whiner Moyer is. Always has been, too. If he's and his catcher are slow/dumb enough to tip his pitches or allow signs to be stolen, he deserves to be exploited. It's part of the game of wits.

Eddie Collins was known to be the one of the best at stealing signs of anyone who ever played, and one of the greatest baseball minds, period. My favorite Collins anecdote- when he was traded to the White Sox from the A's in 1915, during spring training one of the White Sox coaches told Collins he was going to run through the signs with him.

Collins quipped: "Don't bother; I already know them."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    So many good quotes after that game, lol.
    You remember when Brian Jordan questioned Chipper's commitment to staying in shape?

Chipper: “Yeah, I mean, for somebody who missed three times as many games as I have over a shorter period of time, it’s a little….”

You remember when Brian Jordan questioned Chipper's commitment to staying in shape?

Chipper: “Yeah, I mean, for somebody who missed three times as many games as I have over a shorter period of time, it’s a little….”
    I liked the quote Chipper gave when someone accused him of hanging around for the money. He responded, "anyone who says that hasn't seen my bank account." He is one of the few real characters left in the game.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I don't see him pulling a Pettitte. Chipper seems like an honest person.
    Nothing to do with honesty if he has a good season and changes his mind. Pettitte also left the door wide open.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

People change their minds. It's that simple. Don't get bent over it. We all do it.

The guy has made over $160M playing this game. He doesn't need the dough so we are just guessing about how he feels about doing the grind again.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    People change their minds. It's that simple. Don't get bent over it. We all do it.

The guy has made over $160M playing this game. He doesn't need the dough so we are just guessing about how he feels about doing the grind again.
    He doesn't need it, but he's never gonna make that kind of money again, so a year deal of 10 mil might persuade him. I'm sure Mike Musina deeply regrets retiring, no matter what he says.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12