Thread: Uzr

Uzr

As of now, UZR is the most reliable fielding statistic, or so I believe. Because it is based on a plus/minus system, is the entire league UZR supposed to equal zero?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    As of now, UZR is the most reliable fielding statistic, or so I believe. Because it is based on a plus/minus system, is the entire league UZR supposed to equal zero?
    It's relative to each position in the league, yes. But I don't think if you, say, add up all the shortstop UZRs that you'd get zero. I don't think it works like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    But I don't think if you, say, add up all the shortstop UZRs that you'd get zero. I don't think it works like that.
    That's odd. Isn't it based on the total runs you prevented/allowed over the average?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    That's odd. Isn't it based on the total runs you prevented/allowed over the average?
    Honestly, I'm not sure. The way I read the explanation, it sounded like what I said. Try reading Fangraphs' explanation of it:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...hs-uzr-primer/

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure. The way I read the explanation, it sounded like what I said. Try reading Fangraphs' explanation of it:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...hs-uzr-primer/
    I'm not sure why it wouldn't 'work that way'. Unless there's some reason to believe otherwise, I would assume that runs above average should add up to zero. In fact, if you add up all the UZR runs from every SS in 2011 you get -.1, which is about as close as you can get to zero with all the rounding going on. When you sum up all fielders you get -.2.
    Last edited by JDanger; 05-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDanger View Post
    I'm not sure why it wouldn't 'work that way'. Unless there's some reason to believe otherwise, I would assume that runs above average should add up to zero. In fact, if you add up all the UZR runs from every SS in 2011 you get -.1, which is about as close as you can get to zero with all the rounding going on. When you sum up all fielders you get -.2.
    You're right, I suppose that's close enough.