Thread: What is this song?

What is this song?

There is a song that I keep hearing at ballparks and I like it, but I don't know what it's called or where I can find it. All I do know is this:

- It's in 6/8 time

- In the key of E major

- Makes very heavy use of accordions

They usually play it when they're trying to rally the crowd in some fashion. It's a hard-driving rock song type thing. With accordions.

Anyone know what song I'm talking about? I don't know what it's called so I can't search YT for a sample or anything like that.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    There is a song that I keep hearing at ballparks and I like it, but I don't know what it's called or where I can find it. All I do know is this:

- It's in 6/8 time

- In the key of E major

- Makes very heavy use of accordions

They usually play it when they're trying to rally the crowd in some fashion. It's a hard-driving rock song type thing. With accordions.

Anyone know what song I'm talking about? I don't know what it's called so I can't search YT for a sample or anything like that.
    "Chelsea Dagger" by the Fratelli's, maybe?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    "Chelsea Dagger" by the Fratelli's, maybe?
    Good record, but I don't hear any accordian.

This?

No.

The one I mean, is a more hard rock song.

And is in 6/8 time, in E major.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Lyrics???

Chelsea Dagger is a good song.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Lyrics???
    The song I'm thinking of, is apparently an instrumental (I've never heard lyrics to it - then again, they don't play the complete song during games anyway).

No accordions on Popcorn.
    Robin JEDI

I don't know anything about music so have no clue about the time and key, but is there a chance it's the opening to "Shipping Up To Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys?
    It's the only rock tune I can think of with accordions, and we hear it at Fenway all the time (of course).

EDIT - just remembered that the Pogues had an accordion player, but can't imagine what song of theirs you might hear now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I don't know anything about music so have no clue about the time and key, but is there a chance it's the opening to "Shipping Up To Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys?
    It's the only rock tune I can think of with accordions, and we hear it at Fenway all the time (of course).

EDIT - just remembered that the Pogues had an accordion player, but can't imagine what song of theirs you might hear now.

What about that song "Tessie" but I cant see any other stadium playing that except for Boston.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    What about that song "Tessie" but I cant see any other stadium playing that except for Boston.
    They all play "Sweet Caroline", don't they?

Bear in mind, we don't know the point of orgin for the song.
    Robin JEDI

Never heard sweet Caroline at an Indians game, was one of the things I was looking forward to 1st time I went to Fenway. Can't remember hearing it at any other ballpark either

Yes, that's the one.

Thats the song from the movie "The Departed" I'm surprised they play that any place except Boston.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

I dont think i've heard "Sweet Caroline" at Whitesox games. I always thought that song was a Boston thing. I was always curious why that song was famous in Boston.

...is there a chance it's the opening to "Shipping Up To Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Yes, that's the one.
    Whoah I just looked that song up on YouTube, it's way different than the Chicken Dance or Popcorn! In the beginning of the video, the band even beats up a guy!

Quote Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
    Never heard sweet Caroline at an Indians game, was one of the things I was looking forward to 1st time I went to Fenway. Can't remember hearing it at any other ballpark either
    Trust me, other stadiums play it.
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    I dont think i've heard "Sweet Caroline" at Whitesox games. I always thought that song was a Boston thing. I was always curious why that song was famous in Boston.
    Well, Neil Diamond said that his inspiration for that song was a photo of Caroline Kennedy when she was about 9...yes, I agree, that's extremely creepy. Supposedly Diamond told her that in person when she was an adult and she was very uncomfortable with the admission.
    Might be best suited to the Cape Cod League, but the Kennedys have plenty of Boston ties, too.
    Last edited by Dude Paskert; 05-10-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Whoah I just looked that song up on YouTube, it's way different than the Chicken Dance or Popcorn! In the beginning of the video, the band even beats up a guy!
    I think that guy was supposed to represent Papelbon after he left the Bosox...it used to be his intro song.
    (jk - the video is from way before Paps leaving, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Lyrics???

Chelsea Dagger is a good song.
    No it's not. It was annoying before the Blackhawks adopted it and even worse now. It is Gitmo quality.