Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cole Hamels admits to hitting Harper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Hamels has been suspended for 5 games and fined for intentionally throwing at Harper via MLB's Twitter.
    I'm not sure what kind of message MLB is sending with this one. I know they had to do something. But Hamels is essentially being punished for being honest. Had he not (stupidly) admitted to plunking Harper on purpose, there is no chance he would have been suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of message MLB is sending with this one. I know they had to do something. But Hamels is essentially being punished for being honest. Had he not (stupidly) admitted to plunking Harper on purpose, there is no chance he would have been suspended.
    I think Carl Mays should have come out and said he was trying to kill Ray Chapman and was glad he did it, and there should have been no repercussions. Same with Jack Hamilton regarding Tony C being crippled.

The message came with the pitch and Harper and the Nats answered appropriately, and that should have been it. If Hamels is going to do some stupid frat boy bragging to impress any female reporters who might have been around, he gives MLB no choice...of course they have to suspend him then.

Funny how Hamels claimed he hit Harper because he is old-school! What? From David Schoenfield:

The funniest part about Hamels' "old baseball" approach? He's 28 years old! What old-school baseball is he referring to? 1998? 1996? Hamels has to be the youngest player ever to invoke old-school quoting privileges.

Plus ... wouldn't Hamels have to be one of the least old-school players in the game? When your nickname is Hollywood Hamels, you can't be old school. When your wife is a reality TV contestant who posed in Playboy, you can't be old school. Old-school players marry the first Baseball Annie they meet in the minors. And they certainly don't spend as much time on their hair as Hamels does. <------------
    Schoenfield continues:

But Hamels is hardly alone. Here are five other least old-school players in the game...

2. Curtis Granderson, Yankees. Believe me, Granderson would offend old-school guys. He's a nice guy, he plays hard, he says all the right things. Crazy stuff. Old-school guys should be spitting chew on the shoes of the catcher as they dig in at the plate and pepper their language with four-letter words and then down five beers in the clubhouse as you sit naked talking about how that horsebleep umpire screwed you on that 2-2 slider.

1. Jered Weaver, Angels. Did you see him after his no-hitter last week? He had tears in his eyes, for crying out loud. Then there's the long hair. What's wrong with a crew cut? And did you know in 2010 he went an entire season without hitting a single batter? Don Drysdale would plunk guys in the on-deck circle just to make sure they didn't get too comfortable at the plate.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Saw this on TheOnion: "Cole Hamels Apologizes For Not Hitting Bryce Harper Right In The ******* Face With Pitch"

I laughed.
    Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Cole should of gotten a longer suspension IMHO.

Suspend him for being honest, great message.

Also I doubt he will be missing any playing time, so what is the point anyways?
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Suspend him for being honest, great message.

Also I doubt he will be missing any playing time, so what is the point anyways?
    Suspend him for plunking a 19 year old Rookie who did nothing wrong and didn't deserve it there not suspending him for his honesty he is the tool that stupidly decided to blab to the media he plunked harper.

I don't think anything should have happened. The Nats took care of it. Leave the players alone. Stop intervening in games. Now neither teams pitchers can throw inside next game. The league will tell the umps to issue pre-game warnings to both teams. Gotta show the players who's boss.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    I don't think anything should have happened. The Nats took care of it. Leave the players alone. Stop intervening in games. Now neither teams pitchers can throw inside next game. The league will tell the umps to issue pre-game warnings to both teams. Gotta show the players who's boss.
    Gotta protect there Rookie as well that couldve hit his spine and caused serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    Gotta protect there Rookie as well that couldve hit his spine and caused serious injury.
    Pffft, oh geeze.

Pffft, oh geeze.
    Its The Truth Cole got a lesser punishment then he should have.

He got more of a punishment than one in your league would... He got hit too and got suspended...

Like it or not, this is about the same suspension that other pitchers have gotten..
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

He got shown real "Old School" baseball by a 19 year-old kid on National TV (well, MLBN, anyway). I think the punishment meted out on the field fit the crime.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    He got shown real "Old School" baseball by a 19 year-old kid on National TV (well, MLBN, anyway). I think the punishment meted out on the field fit the crime.
    Tis is True Lol Harper stealing Home on his Pickoff move was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    He got more of a punishment than one in your league would... He got hit too and got suspended...

Like it or not, this is about the same suspension that other pitchers have gotten..
    Maybe but he went after harper for no rhyme or reason and that's unacceptable to me and then he hit him in the back.

He gets pushed back a day, basically got a slap on the wrist and told to play nice.

If the Phillies think they've got the advantage of having been there before, as Victorino claims, they fail to see Davey Johnson sitting the Nationals dugout. I very much doubt this distracts the Nationals, which was clearly the Phillies intention. It's a shame they've lost Werth, because that lineup will be one of the game's best when Morse and Zimmerman return.

The problem isn't necessarily that Hamels hit Harper. That's normal. Pitchers hit batters all the time.

The problem was that Hamels openly admitted it. THAT is not normal. I don't care how obviously intentional the pitch was, I don't care how pissed off the pitcher may have been, I don't care what the batter did to deserve it. The pitcher does not, under ANY circumstances, admit that he threw at the batter. You just don't do that. It's against the code. The pitcher is just supposed to say that the pitch got away from him. Even if it's the most intentional thing he's ever done in his life - you don't admit that it was intentional.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blog Entries
    From darren Rovell: Amount Cole Hamels is fined for drilling Bryce Harper: $409,835. Total amount NFL has fined James Harrison: $198,529.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
    He gets pushed back a day, basically got a slap on the wrist and told to play nice.
    Pretty expensive "slap on the wrist", eh?
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 05-08-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    my question is, why can't he be arrested for assault? I'm pretty sure that in the real world throwing a baseball at someone on purpose would have someone thrown in jail.

Blog Entries
    They'd have to lock up every pitcher in MLB...

From darren Rovell: Amount Cole Hamels is fined for drilling Bryce Harper: $409,835. Total amount NFL has fined James Harrison: $198,529.

i wasn't aware of that figure. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
    i wasn't aware of that figure. Wow.
    Wow indeed. That's approximately 3% of his $15,000,000 salary. I hope his family has enough to eat.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The problem isn't necessarily that Hamels hit Harper. That's normal. Pitchers hit batters all the time.

The problem was that Hamels openly admitted it. THAT is not normal. I don't care how obviously intentional the pitch was, I don't care how pissed off the pitcher may have been, I don't care what the batter did to deserve it. The pitcher does not, under ANY circumstances, admit that he threw at the batter. You just don't do that. It's against the code. The pitcher is just supposed to say that the pitch got away from him. Even if it's the most intentional thing he's ever done in his life - you don't admit that it was intentional.
    And common sense and decency and you owe to yourself and your team. I just don't know what he coulda been thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Wow indeed. That's approximately 3% of his $15,000,000 salary. I hope his family has enough to eat.
    Yeah, now he can't afford to get a new Lamborghini Aventador. Oh what will he do for transportation now?

Blog Entries
    And common sense and decency and you owe to yourself and your team. I just don't know what he coulda been thinking.
    I fully agree. Batters getting HBP is common, but the pitcher openly admitting it was intentional is a huge no-no. As you say, I don't know what Hamels was thinking when he opened his mouth, but the guy is, to make an understatement, no rookie, and he should know better.

Of course, I also think the comments made by the Nationals' GM were also out of line. Not that he deserves any censuring, but calling a 25-year veteran like Hamels "classless" and something profane I can't post here on BBF could've been reworded to be a bit less candid and a bit more professional. Jmho.
    Put it in the books.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast