Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cole Hamels admits to hitting Harper

He gets pushed back a day, basically got a slap on the wrist and told to play nice.

If the Phillies think they've got the advantage of having been there before, as Victorino claims, they fail to see Davey Johnson sitting the Nationals dugout. I very much doubt this distracts the Nationals, which was clearly the Phillies intention. It's a shame they've lost Werth, because that lineup will be one of the game's best when Morse and Zimmerman return.

The problem isn't necessarily that Hamels hit Harper. That's normal. Pitchers hit batters all the time.

The problem was that Hamels openly admitted it. THAT is not normal. I don't care how obviously intentional the pitch was, I don't care how pissed off the pitcher may have been, I don't care what the batter did to deserve it. The pitcher does not, under ANY circumstances, admit that he threw at the batter. You just don't do that. It's against the code. The pitcher is just supposed to say that the pitch got away from him. Even if it's the most intentional thing he's ever done in his life - you don't admit that it was intentional.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blog Entries
    From darren Rovell: Amount Cole Hamels is fined for drilling Bryce Harper: $409,835. Total amount NFL has fined James Harrison: $198,529.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
    He gets pushed back a day, basically got a slap on the wrist and told to play nice.
    Pretty expensive "slap on the wrist", eh?
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 05-08-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Blog Entries
    my question is, why can't he be arrested for assault? I'm pretty sure that in the real world throwing a baseball at someone on purpose would have someone thrown in jail.

Blog Entries
    They'd have to lock up every pitcher in MLB...
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    From darren Rovell: Amount Cole Hamels is fined for drilling Bryce Harper: $409,835. Total amount NFL has fined James Harrison: $198,529.

i wasn't aware of that figure. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post

i wasn't aware of that figure. Wow.
    Wow indeed. That's approximately 3% of his $15,000,000 salary. I hope his family has enough to eat.
    What's the rumpus?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The problem isn't necessarily that Hamels hit Harper. That's normal. Pitchers hit batters all the time.

The problem was that Hamels openly admitted it. THAT is not normal. I don't care how obviously intentional the pitch was, I don't care how pissed off the pitcher may have been, I don't care what the batter did to deserve it. The pitcher does not, under ANY circumstances, admit that he threw at the batter. You just don't do that. It's against the code. The pitcher is just supposed to say that the pitch got away from him. Even if it's the most intentional thing he's ever done in his life - you don't admit that it was intentional.
    And common sense and decency and you owe to yourself and your team. I just don't know what he coulda been thinking.
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Wow indeed. That's approximately 3% of his $15,000,000 salary. I hope his family has enough to eat.
    Yeah, now he can't afford to get a new Lamborghini Aventador. Oh what will he do for transportation now?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    And common sense and decency and you owe to yourself and your team. I just don't know what he coulda been thinking.
    I fully agree. Batters getting HBP is common, but the pitcher openly admitting it was intentional is a huge no-no. As you say, I don't know what Hamels was thinking when he opened his mouth, but the guy is, to make an understatement, no rookie, and he should know better.

Of course, I also think the comments made by the Nationals' GM were also out of line. Not that he deserves any censuring, but calling a 25-year veteran like Hamels "classless" and something profane I can't post here on BBF could've been reworded to be a bit less candid and a bit more professional. Jmho.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

^ But Hamels *was* classless.

And I wouldn't call him a 25-year veteran. He's only been playing pro baseball since 2003...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    ^ But Hamels *was* classless.
    At the moment he made the comment, I certainly agree. I guess it was the way Rizzo worded it that got me. He labelled the guy classless as a human being, rather than using a more professional statement like, "That was a very classless thing for Hamels to say." And, although I'm far from prude, his use of profanity didn't help either.

And I wouldn't call him a 25-year veteran. He's only been playing pro baseball since 2003...
    I stand corrected. Heh, it's become a running gag amongst my friends and family that the first batter Hamels faced was Nellie Fox, or Richie Ashburn, or... well, you get the idea. lol
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    I fully agree. Batters getting HBP is common, but the pitcher openly admitting it was intentional is a huge no-no. As you say, I don't know what Hamels was thinking when he opened his mouth, but the guy is, to make an understatement, no rookie, and he should know better.

Of course, I also think the comments made by the Nationals' GM were also out of line. Not that he deserves any censuring, but calling a 25-year veteran like Hamels "classless" and something profane I can't post here on BBF could've been reworded to be a bit less candid and a bit more professional. Jmho.
    I don't think he was out of line he is protecting the Nats investment in Harper and Harper himself. As far as i am concerned Hammels got everything he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    I don't think he was out of line he is protecting the Nats investment in Harper and Harper himself. As far as i am concerned Hammels got everything he deserved.
    By running his mouth?
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

I've heard the word "class" so much in the past few years I don't even think people know what it means anymore. I knew this would be made into some big deal, especially by certain sports media, instead of realizing it's baseball players being baseball players. The pussification of baseball, I suppose
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

I agree, Rizzo didn't need to say anything and should have let things sit. I think most baseball people, whether it be current or veteran players, can already discern Hamels' and the Phillies' intentions. Rizzo's given this more attention than it already had, and in turn takes the attention away from what Harper is doing on the field and onto this sideshow that Hamels/Phillies created; Rizzo is playing right into the Phillies hands.

Blog Entries
    All I said was that Rizzo could've been more professional with his wording, and even offered an example of how he could've altered his verbiage to be more professional. He is, after all, a front office white collar professional, and in this case, he behaved poorly by, as bluesky5 said, by running his mouth.

I agree, Rizzo didn't need to say anything and should have let things sit. I think most baseball people, whether it be current or veteran players, can already discern Hamels' and the Phillies' intentions. Rizzo's given this more attention than it already had, and in turn takes the attention away from what Harper is doing on the field and onto this sideshow that Hamels/Phillies created; Rizzo is playing right into the Phillies hands.
    I fully agree.

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    By running his mouth?
    Yep.... ITs not the nats fault or harpers this is on the Phillies and Hammers.

Blog Entries
    Yep.... ITs not the nats fault or harpers this is on the Phillies and Hammers.
    And fueling the fire by creating a verbal media circus surrounding it? From what I've seen, Rizzo has a difficult time distinguishing the difference between MLB and WWF.

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    And fueling the fire by creating a verbal media circus surrounding it? From what I've seen, Rizzo has a difficult time distinguishing the difference between MLB and WWF.
    He didn't Fuel it bro that was on Hammels Jesus. Hammels caused this by being an idiot and admitting to the Media that he hit harrper on purpose that created the media circus.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast