X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe33
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    From darren Rovell: Amount Cole Hamels is fined for drilling Bryce Harper: $409,835. Total amount NFL has fined James Harrison: $198,529.

Pretty expensive "slap on the wrist", eh?
    i wasn't aware of that figure. Wow.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
      A Gametime Decision
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
      From darren Rovell: Amount Cole Hamels is fined for drilling Bryce Harper: $409,835. Total amount NFL has fined James Harrison: $198,529.

Pretty expensive "slap on the wrist", eh?
      Originally posted by Joe33 View Post
      i wasn't aware of that figure. Wow.
      Wow indeed. That's approximately 3% of his $15,000,000 salary. I hope his family has enough to eat.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• bluesky5
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
        The problem isn't necessarily that Hamels hit Harper. That's normal. Pitchers hit batters all the time.

The problem was that Hamels openly admitted it. THAT is not normal. I don't care how obviously intentional the pitch was, I don't care how pissed off the pitcher may have been, I don't care what the batter did to deserve it. The pitcher does not, under ANY circumstances, admit that he threw at the batter. You just don't do that. It's against the code. The pitcher is just supposed to say that the pitch got away from him. Even if it's the most intentional thing he's ever done in his life - you don't admit that it was intentional.
        And common sense and decency and you owe to yourself and your team. I just don't know what he coulda been thinking.
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• quagmire
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          Wow indeed. That's approximately 3% of his $15,000,000 salary. I hope his family has enough to eat.
          Yeah, now he can't afford to get a new Lamborghini Aventador. Oh what will he do for transportation now?

Comment

• milladrive
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
            And common sense and decency and you owe to yourself and your team. I just don't know what he coulda been thinking.
            I fully agree. Batters getting HBP is common, but the pitcher openly admitting it was intentional is a huge no-no. As you say, I don't know what Hamels was thinking when he opened his mouth, but the guy is, to make an understatement, no rookie, and he should know better.

Of course, I also think the comments made by the Nationals' GM were also out of line. Not that he deserves any censuring, but calling a 25-year veteran like Hamels "classless" and something profane I can't post here on BBF could've been reworded to be a bit less candid and a bit more professional. Jmho.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
              • Sep 2010

^ But Hamels *was* classless.

And I wouldn't call him a 25-year veteran. He's only been playing pro baseball since 2003...
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• milladrive
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                ^ But Hamels *was* classless.
                At the moment he made the comment, I certainly agree. I guess it was the way Rizzo worded it that got me. He labelled the guy classless as a human being, rather than using a more professional statement like, "That was a very classless thing for Hamels to say." And, although I'm far from prude, his use of profanity didn't help either.

And I wouldn't call him a 25-year veteran. He's only been playing pro baseball since 2003...
                I stand corrected. Heh, it's become a running gag amongst my friends and family that the first batter Hamels faced was Nellie Fox, or Richie Ashburn, or... well, you get the idea. lol
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• RaysFan_98
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                  I fully agree. Batters getting HBP is common, but the pitcher openly admitting it was intentional is a huge no-no. As you say, I don't know what Hamels was thinking when he opened his mouth, but the guy is, to make an understatement, no rookie, and he should know better.

Of course, I also think the comments made by the Nationals' GM were also out of line. Not that he deserves any censuring, but calling a 25-year veteran like Hamels "classless" and something profane I can't post here on BBF could've been reworded to be a bit less candid and a bit more professional. Jmho.
                  I don't think he was out of line he is protecting the Nats investment in Harper and Harper himself. As far as i am concerned Hammels got everything he deserved.
                  All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

• bluesky5
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                    I don't think he was out of line he is protecting the Nats investment in Harper and Harper himself. As far as i am concerned Hammels got everything he deserved.
                    By running his mouth?
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                      Gator wrastler
                      • May 2007

I've heard the word "class" so much in the past few years I don't even think people know what it means anymore. I knew this would be made into some big deal, especially by certain sports media, instead of realizing it's baseball players being baseball players. The pussification of baseball, I suppose
                      "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

• Joe33
                        • Feb 2012

I agree, Rizzo didn't need to say anything and should have let things sit. I think most baseball people, whether it be current or veteran players, can already discern Hamels' and the Phillies' intentions. Rizzo's given this more attention than it already had, and in turn takes the attention away from what Harper is doing on the field and onto this sideshow that Hamels/Phillies created; Rizzo is playing right into the Phillies hands.

Comment

• milladrive
                          • Sep 2006

All I said was that Rizzo could've been more professional with his wording, and even offered an example of how he could've altered his verbiage to be more professional. He is, after all, a front office white collar professional, and in this case, he behaved poorly by, as bluesky5 said, by running his mouth.

Originally posted by Joe33 View Post
                          I agree, Rizzo didn't need to say anything and should have let things sit. I think most baseball people, whether it be current or veteran players, can already discern Hamels' and the Phillies' intentions. Rizzo's given this more attention than it already had, and in turn takes the attention away from what Harper is doing on the field and onto this sideshow that Hamels/Phillies created; Rizzo is playing right into the Phillies hands.
                          I fully agree.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

• RaysFan_98
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                            By running his mouth?
                            Yep.... ITs not the nats fault or harpers this is on the Phillies and Hammers.

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

• milladrive
                              • Sep 2006

Yep.... ITs not the nats fault or harpers this is on the Phillies and Hammers.
                              And fueling the fire by creating a verbal media circus surrounding it? From what I've seen, Rizzo has a difficult time distinguishing the difference between MLB and WWF.
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

• RaysFan_98
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                                And fueling the fire by creating a verbal media circus surrounding it? From what I've seen, Rizzo has a difficult time distinguishing the difference between MLB and WWF.
                                He didn't Fuel it bro that was on Hammels Jesus. Hammels caused this by being an idiot and admitting to the Media that he hit harrper on purpose that created the media circus.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X