Thread: New bat for freshman

New bat for freshman

It's time to get a drop 3. My son turns 14 in a couple days. He'll be a freshman next year, so we need to get a BBCOR bat. I wanted to get a little advice. I've heard good things about the Rawlings 5150. Anyone have experience with this bat? http://www.rawlingsgear.com/baseball...bats/bbca.html

Also, my son is 6 foot 135 pounds right now and still growing. He currently uses a 32 inch -5 bat. I was thinking of getting him a 33 inch BBCOR. Does this seem to be the right size for him?

Thanks for any input.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azmatsfan View Post
    It's time to get a drop 3. My son turns 14 in a couple days. He'll be a freshman next year, so we need to get a BBCOR bat. I wanted to get a little advice. I've heard good things about the Rawlings 5150. Anyone have experience with this bat? http://www.rawlingsgear.com/baseball...bats/bbca.html

Also, my son is 6 foot 135 pounds right now and still growing. He currently uses a 32 inch -5 bat. I was thinking of getting him a 33 inch BBCOR. Does this seem to be the right size for him?

Thanks for any input.
    Nobody but your son can determine which bat feels right. From a weight standpoint go into a sporting goods store and have him swing a few. 33inches sounds reasonable. He'll also start filling out soon. My son went from 5'11", 135 to 6', 160 in three months eating properly, drinking protein shakes twice a day and lifing weights.
    Last edited by tg643; 05-07-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Not a lot of chatter on the internet about the rawlings machine but alot of kids around here including my son are swinging it. It is a very
    balanced bat. They all love it.You can pick a new one up on Ebay for less than the retail list of the 5150.List price on the machine was $299.00 got ours for 198.00 shipped off ebay. My son is 5"11 and 175 he is still using a 32 but will probably go to a 33 this fall.

Bought a 2012 rip it in January but kid didnt like it thought it was to end loaded.

You can now get a 2012 Demarini CF5 for under $250. This bat was $399 last year. It has not changed for 2013 other than graphics. Good deal if you can find one. It is also a balanced bat like the 5150 but is all composite.

Thanks for any input.
    Get him good 32" and/or 33" wood bats to use in the cages. If he learns to swing these, he will be able to swing any BBCOR with confidence.

Blog Entries
    It's time to get a drop 3. My son turns 14 in a couple days. He'll be a freshman next year, so we need to get a BBCOR bat. I wanted to get a little advice.
    If he's not going to use it until next season I would wait... He's probably going to continue to grow.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    If he's not going to use it until next season I would wait... He's probably going to continue to grow.
    Good point. Maybe get an Easton Rival for $70 on sale and use that until then. Heck, you can get non-BBCOR composite bats for next-to-nothing because they're illegal in games but they're fun to swing. Will he be playing summer and fall ball and, if so, will there be restrictions against using non-BBCOR bats?

Unless the Rawlings 5150 has improved measurably over the past year, I'd give it a pass. It was one of the earliest BBCOR's but has since been surpassed.

I just picked up an Easton XL2 for $216 on EBay - it's one of their hottest bats for college right now. It's a little more end-loaded then many, and it's got the two-piece "Connexion" set up for sting reduction, which helps with young hitters. It seems to have a slightly bigger sweet spot than the Easton Surge we got last year but now seems a bit dead from over-use.

The Easton S1, S2, XL1, or XL2 all seem to be pretty good and durable bats. I have a few kids that bought the Rawlings Plasma. These bats are under or right at $100. Not near as popular because these days kids and parents believe if it ain't expensive it ain't any good. This bat may shock you with it's pop. Take some time and read some reviews on the internet. You won't find any too negative regarding this bat. If he does not like it by the time the next year rolls around, well he has a good BP bat.

My son 13U bought the Baden Axe because he loved the way handle felt in his hands. We got 2 bats (Metal and Wood) for $159 during the spring sale. He uses the wood during school ball (Metal not allowed) and uses the metal during tournament ball. They are both stamped BBCOR, and both have good pop. The weight distribution is pretty even and he is able to whip it through the zone pretty quickly.
    Many Theories One Outcome

Ebay has a brand new 2012 Voodoo BBCOR 33/30 for 149.95 which is 50% off. WOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    Sunday he tried out for a 16U club team that will play Mickey Mantle (AABC) ball this Summer. If he makes the cut he'll need a BBCOR bat.

Thanks to everyone for the input. We'll have to head down to the baseball store to have him try out some of these bats to see what he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by ctheusa View Post
    Not a lot of chatter on the internet about the rawlings machine but alot of kids around here including my son are swinging it. It is a very
    balanced bat. They all love it.You can pick a new one up on Ebay for less than the retail list of the 5150.List price on the machine was $299.00 got ours for 198.00 shipped off ebay. My son is 5"11 and 175 he is still using a 32 but will probably go to a 33 this fall.

Bought a 2012 rip it in January but kid didnt like it thought it was to end loaded.
    My son also has a Machine (33/30). Demo'd a lot of bats and he liked this bat best. We too bought it on e-bay for about the same price as a 5150.

I'd also look at picking up a drop 3 BESR bat while they are still out there. Great to show off the power in practice with. Can't use it in games, but your kid can turn some heads in BP with it.
    There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

You might check with the AABC rules and the NFHS rules, I don't know if they are the same or not. I do know the Marruci 33/30, the Rip-it 32/29, 34/31 and the Reebok Vector 34/31? have all been recalled by the NCAA and the NFHS. Newer ones might be recertified by now. I would just take precaution before I spent $300+ on a bat.

Thanks for any input.
    Why not go with a wooden bat? My 13U son uses a 32 inch bat by Brett Bro's in league play while using a 5 drop alloy bat during tournament play.

http://www.justbats.com/product/bret...gy-towel/6655/

Personally I think he hits better and with more power with the wooden bat.

[QUOTE=shake-n-bake;2009999]My son also has a Machine (33/30). Demo'd a lot of bats and he liked this bat best. We too bought it on e-bay for about the same price as a 5150.

way to funny...what similiar roads.Hows things going for little Bake?

I just bought my Freshman a 2012 CF5(Gold Model) from Amazon last week for $190.00 for the upcoming American Legion season. He loves it and from my research that is a great price.