Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with Tim Lincecum?

Quote Originally Posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    It never gets that cold in San Francisco.
    Yes, it does. I was there Biz.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

How cold does it get?
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Blog Entries
    When he entered the league I saw him pitch at 95-97 mph max fastball. The last time I saw him pitch he was pitching at 89-91max fastball

Looks like Timmy has started to turn it around since the All-Star break.

5 GS, 32.2 IP, 4-1 W-L, 2.48 ERA, 35 K, 12 BB, 28 H

He's lowered his ERA from 6.42 to 5.43 in the last five starts. Hopefully, Timmy is returning to form. If he does, it would be a huge boost for the Giants playoff chances.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

It looks like he's getting a handle on his control issues. Still, he had a 36 pitch first inning last night, but wiggled out of it without much damage. Clearly better, but not back yet.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Yes, it does. I was there Biz.
    I've been to Wrigley Field and Jacobs Field on crisp mid-April days when the temperature hovered around 40 degrees. I've been to over a couple dozen summer time night games at Candlestick and the temperature probably never fell much below 50. True, the windchill makes it feel colder. But misconceptions about the weather at Candlestick caused the complaints to be more about the temperature and less about the wind.

Some time around the early '90s, there was talk of putting a dome on Candlestick Park. This would have been the biggest mistake ever. It would have sent a subconscious message around America that San Francisco was a very rainy area - which it isn't.
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    50 degrees is cold in California.
    It depends what part of California you're in & what time of year. Just as places like New England & Michigan have seasons, California also has seasons. Micro-climates are also very common - especially in the summer time.
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Since the All-Star break:

8 GS, 49.1 IP, 4-3 W-L, 3.10 ERA, 47 K, 16 B, 4 HR, .257 BAA, .320 OPB, .383 SLG

That is much better than before the break.

Since the All-Star break:

8 GS, 49.1 IP, 4-3 W-L, 3.10 ERA, 47 K, 16 B, 4 HR, .257 BAA, .320 OPB, .383 SLG

That is much better than before the break.
    What's his WHIP since the All-Star break?

Quote Originally Posted by bizmark View Post
    what's his whip since the all-star break?
    1.280 whip

those are decent stats, but Timmy needs to be a LOT more consistant. Some of his post-ASG starts have been pretty bad. But it was nice to hear him talk about being jacked up to pitch against the Bums.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    those are decent stats, but Timmy needs to be a LOT more consistant. Some of his post-ASG starts have been pretty bad. But it was nice to hear him talk about being jacked up to pitch against the Bums.
    For sure. If the Giants want to go deep in the playoffs they'll absolutely need for Timmy to be on top of his game.

1.280 whip
    That's pretty good. Do you have handy the WHIP since the All-Star game for each of Bumgarner, Cain, Zito & Vogelsong?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    That's pretty good. Do you have handy the WHIP since the All-Star game for each of Bumgarner, Cain, Zito & Vogelsong?
    wcoab is having trouble with logging in, asked me to post the answer to your question:

0.77 Bumgarner
    1.12 Cain
    1.28 Lincecum
    1.31 Zito
    1.45 Vogelson
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Timmy's second half surge continues.

Code:
    .        GS   IP   W  L   ERA  ER   K  BB  H  HR  WHIP SO/9 SO/BB WP   
    1st Half 18  96.2  3 10  6.42  69 104  50 103 11 1.583  9.7  2.08 10
    2nd half 12  78.0  6  4  3.33  27  73  32  66  8 1.342  9.0  2.28  5

Timmy finally under the 5.00 mark for the season with an ERA now at 4.91. It's the lowest it's been since his 4th pitch to Chris Young way back in April.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Tim pitched great last night! Timmy is looking strong for the postseason.

Code:
    .        GS   IP   W  L   ERA  ER   K  BB  H  HR  WHIP SO/9 SO/BB WP   
    1st Half 18  96.2  3 10  6.42  69 104  50 103 11 1.583  9.7  2.08 10
    2nd half 13  79.1  7  4  3.06  27  79  34  71  8 1.324  9.0  2.32  5

Timmy had a poor start his last time out. I'm starting to get concerned about how the Giants will handle Timmy after 2013? He'll be a free agent then. I wonder how much he'll want in salary. Next season will be a crucial year for Timmy.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that the Giants will let Timmy go. Almost no matter what he does next season he'll still get paid. And with the team already committed to Cain and Vogy, and with MadBum approaching arbitration I suspect the 20+ million over 6 years he's going to ask for will be too much for the team to pay.

That all can change of course, but I'm starting to wonder if he will bounce back in 2013.

It would a bummer to see Timmy go but the Giants don't need to pay $20 million per season for a pitcher with a declining fastball. This makes the Blackburn kid's development even more important.

A good fangraphs article about Timmy maybe needing to pitch on the black more to be more successful.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...tch-not-throw/

A good fangraphs article about Timmy maybe needing to pitch on the black more to be more successful.

I think tim will bounce back. he will work his ass off and stay off the weed because he is in a contract year and a good season could be worth 50 millions more in his next contract compared to another average season like 2012. and the second half Shows that he can still do it
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

This was one time fangraphs actually made sense to me. Timmy's flat out is leaving way too many pitches out over the plate. And he's getting hammered because of it. If he starts hitting the black instead, he'll be a lot better off. And a heckova lot richer.

Randy Johnson's part is freaking hilarious.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast