Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is wrong with Tim Lincecum?

4 days ago he pitched one of his best games ever

I believe last two games he had a long stretch of innings of no walks
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

he is far from done, just look at his strikeout totals

he'll have a nice career as a long inning relief pitcher or possibly as a closer

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    He needs to start smoking weed again and get his head back to where it was when he was winning the CYA.
    Or start eating marijuana pancakes in the morning or something.
    who says he stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by bassball View Post
    who says he stopped?
    I thought he said he was going to quit after he got caught with a pipe and a g. Lest the drugs get to his head and he jumps out a third story window or sexually assaults someone in a marijuana haze and ruins his baseball career.
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

I thought he said he was going to quit after he got caught with a pipe and a g. Lest the drugs get to his head and he jumps out a third story window or sexually assaults someone in a marijuana haze and ruins his baseball career.
    He could have been pulled over with a keg of beer in his backseat and nobody would have batted an eyelash about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    He could have been pulled over with a keg of beer in his backseat and nobody would have batted an eyelash about it.
    Nooooo, beer isn't drugs.
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Nooooo, beer isn't drugs.
    You serious, Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by Jobu Voodoo View Post
    You serious, Clark?
    lol, no, sarcasm.

He's lost some zip on his fastball - not only that, hitters have figured him out. Double whammy.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

merged to our thread
    ďWell, I like to say Iím completely focused, right? I mean, the gameís on the line. Itís not like Iím thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer ó it tastes frigginí awesome!"--Brian Wilson

It seems to me in Timmy's early years, his herky-jerky motion had the hitters swinging at balls in the dirt or way outside. Now that they've gotten used to him, they're simply waiting him out, not swinging at the bad balls - hence the walks. After he puts a couple of men on and still gets behind in the count 2-0, 3-0, then he's got to serve up a big fat one down the middle, and they're ready for it. Surely there are some mechanics that can be worked on, or maybe it's just between the ears.
    WRD

You were saying what's wrong........??????

http://mlb.si.com/2013/07/14/freak-p...o-hits-padres/

It wasnít exactly vintage Tim Lincecum. His fastball was still sitting down around 91 miles per hour, and he hit 100 pitches in the sixth inning, but Saturday night, Lincecum had complete mastery of his pitches and the Padres. Mixing a wicked curve, sharp two-seamer, an 80 MPH slider, and a devastating changeup, Lincecum kept the Padres guessing all night. The two-time Cy Young Award winner struck out 13 and got a career-high 29 swings and misses as he threw the first no-hitter in Petco Park history, and it only took him 148 pitches to do it.
    Lincecumís pitch count added extra drama to a night that initially looked like it might have none. The Giants took an early 1-0 lead on Padres starter Edinson Volquez and exploded for seven more runs in the fourth and fifth innings combined. That eight-run lead proved crucial, however, as it allowed Giants manager Bruce Bochy to give Lincecum every opportunity to complete his first career no-hitter.

Even the worst regular pitchers have great starts occasionally. I need to see more than one great start to think he is "back." I hope his is, since I like him, but the last 1.5 year ample size is too much to ignore at this point.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

after his great no hitter he had a terrible start against cincy. 9 hits and 8 runs in less than 4 innings.

hopefully he can recover. he has still periods when he is dominating (even in his bad games) but sometimes really gets torn apart in just one inning. bad innings happen but he needs to battle through it and limit the damage (if he just gives up 1-2 runs he still has a chance to win).

will the giants make on offer to him this offseason?
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and canít run, most of the time heís clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Ė Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    will the giants make on offer to him this offseason?
    The answer to that is YES. The question really is...will anyone offer Timmy a 5/$100mil deal? If so he wont be a Giant. But a much more moderate offer will be made. Maybe around the 3/21Mil to 4/32. My guess is that Timmy will ask for 5/60Mil from the Giants if he doesn't get the big offer.

BTW, a big part of the equation is if people see Timmy as a reliever or starter.
    Last edited by KHenry14; 07-23-2013 at 08:25 AM.
    ďWell, I like to say Iím completely focused, right? I mean, the gameís on the line. Itís not like Iím thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer ó it tastes frigginí awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    The answer to that is YES. The question really is...will anyone offer Timmy a 5/$100mil deal? If so he wont be a Giant. But a much more moderate offer will be made. Maybe around the 3/21Mil to 4/32. My guess is that Timmy will ask for 5/60Mil from the Giants if he doesn't get the big offer.

BTW, a big part of the equation is if people see Timmy as a reliever or starter.
    you think timmy would relieve? he is a 2 time CY winner and still only 29 yo. I guess he would relieve if nobody would let him start to prolong his career but I guess he would really hate that.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and canít run, most of the time heís clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Ė Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    you think timmy would relieve? he is a 2 time CY winner and still only 29 yo. I guess he would relieve if nobody would let him start to prolong his career but I guess he would really hate that.
    He's on the record as willing to do anything to help the team win, including relieving. With that said, I'm sure he'd rather start. The question is though, how many teams are willing to pay him starters money???

Is it a good idea for pitcher with so many walks and such a poor BABIP to be a closer? I know he was good for. Short stretch in the pen for a handful of innings in the 2012 postseason...but then again he was dominating over a 9 inning stretch lasts week too.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Is it a good idea for pitcher with so many walks and such a poor BABIP to be a closer? I know he was good for. Short stretch in the pen for a handful of innings in the 2012 postseason...but then again he was dominating over a 9 inning stretch lasts week too.
    No, the talk is that Timmy would be a "long man" not a closer. Timmy didn't close in the 2012 postseason. I've love to see the "long man" come back into the game.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    No, the talk is that Timmy would be a "long man" not a closer. Timmy didn't close in the 2012 postseason. I've love to see the "long man" come back into the game.
    That and a 10 man pitching staff!

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    That and a 10 man pitching staff!
    Yeah, watching Bochy bring in four relievers to get two outs gets boring after a while.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Don't know how many of you saw last Monday night's ESPN game against the Red Sox, but announcer Rick Sutcliffe pointed it out, and I had never even noticed it before. After every pitch, as soon as the batter made contact, no matter where he hit it, Lincecum automatically ducked and threw up his glove to protect his head as if he was scared to death he was going to get hit with a line drive. This naturally affected his follow-through. I'm surprised this doesn't take at least 20 m.p.h. off his velocity. You can't pitch in the major leagues if you're scared of every pitch. I'm surprised Righetti and Bochey haven't picked up on this and worked with Lincecum to overcome this flaw. Has he ever been hit with a line drive before? I don't recall. It seems like it would be a simple thing to overcome, maybe with a sports psychologist. I'm hoping Lincecum can stay a Giant and have many more productive years, a Hall of Fame career. He has so much potential and has given so much to the franchise we love.
    WRD

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345