Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is wrong with Tim Lincecum?

So far Timmy has been mostly terrible this season. He's 2-2 W-L while allowing 50 hits in 35.2 IP including 6 home runs allowed. He has a 5.55 ERA and 58 ERA+. If this continued at some point the Giants need to start thinking about replacing him.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I hate to say that because he was so talented but I think he is done. his struggles are clearly related to his declining velocity. his velocity consistently went down since about 2011. for the first time in his career his average FB is below 90 (89.7 or so). despite being not even 30 he is not a power pitcher anymore. probably because to throw mid 90s with that Little Body he had to push himself too hard. he was never a large guy so all his velocity came from explosiveness and flexibility which probably prevents him from throwing mid 90s like larger guys.

they also don't bite as much on his slider out of the Zone anymore and force him to throw strikes (similar to what happened to zito who also used to get a ton of Ks on pitches out of the Zone).

unless he reinvents himself as a pitcher I don't see him coming back.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

A good article looking into what had fueled Timmy's recent success.

http://grantland.com/features/tim-li...ncisco-giants/
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456