Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you miss about the old days?

Things you miss about the old days?

What are things you miss about the old days, if any?

I miss the complete games. I'd like it to go back to when pitchers started the game and finished the game.

Today, relievers are equally important as the starting pitcher, and I don't like that.

It also makes the W/L statistic meaningless.

Real, scheduled doubleheaders.

Simple TV broadcasts...without all the replays from every angle, annoying graphics, endless stats, and over-analysis by the announcers.

Back in my "old days" (the 1970s), you didn't need all that stuff to enjoy the game.

Daytime World Series games.

baseball on NBC, instead of Fox.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

And I miss the high stirups. The modern pajama baseball pants are just dumb looking.

Willie-Stargell---Batting-Action.jpg
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-24-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Blog Entries
    Cheap baseball cards and all the cards in one set without having 4 million cards for each player.

~10 seconds in between pitches, and not 20+.

Complete games played in 1:37 [or thereabouts].

not making three pitching changes in one inning for platoon advantage while trailing in a game
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

I would like to see the 4 man rotation come back, and the Designated Hitter eliminated.

I agree with pretty much everything but the uniforms so far.

I wish players still left their gloves at their positions at the end of the inning.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything but the uniforms so far.

I wish players still left their gloves at their positions at the end of the inning.
    Ba! Et tu, Brute?

The days before free agency got out of control. It would be nice to see most of the same players in the lineup each year.

Another "classic" 1970's uniform!

McCovey-BaseballDigest_Feb1978.JPG

Another things about the old days: Baseball Supremacy

In the old days, baseball was the most popular sport by far. Football, Basketball, Hockey, Tennis, Golf - nobody cared for any of those.

Baseball was America's favorite past-time in actuality, not just by name (like it is now).

It was also a bigger part of America's culture. When Babe Ruth died, they held his body in Yankee Stadium for people to see. Can you imagine something like that happening today? It shows how important a ballplayer was in those days.

Skip Caray. Driest sense of humor ever behind a microphone in any sport.

Oh, and double-headers, CGs in less than 1 hr, 45 mins and being able to afford sitting behind home plate no matter which stadium I attend a game.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Playing wiffleball in the yard with a dozen friends in the summer. Each player up in the order would pretend to be a real life player in your favorite team's lineup or in an all-star game. We would play in the mornings in the summer and then watch a game on TV in the afternoon. We would eat a late lunch together thanks to the mom inside whatever home we just happened to take over for the day.

I would like to do that again sometime with my old buddies.

That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish.
    And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?
    Your Second Base Coach
    If Rfield was a good stat, we would not need Rpos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant View Post
    The days before free agency got out of control. It would be nice to see most of the same players in the lineup each year.
    Collecting baseball cards was more fun when the Dodgers stack from 1978 was sure to look a lot like the stack from 1977.
    Your Second Base Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Cheap baseball cards and all the cards in one set without having 4 million cards for each player.
    I am laughing over here.

I can remember doubles, even triples in the same pack of guys like these:

Terry Puhl, Steve Yeager, Jorge Orta, Lynn McGlothen, Richie Hebner, Verne Ruhle, Al Bumbry or Greg Minton.

But never any doubles of a card with an all-star banner or one of those cool ROY trophies in the corner.
    Your Second Base Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post

man do I miss that

Major reason why I stopped collecting.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

I miss the players without tattoos and flat billed caps worn at an angle. These moronic copycats think they're being different and expressing their individuality. Yeah, right! What they're doing is practicing a rigid conformity of nonconformity; trying to be unconventional in a very conventional way. Grow up clowns. You're immersed in a herdlike mentality with elements of thuggism. Count on it, the less within, the more without. Immature children always try to find an identity by drawing attention to themselves, hence, the adornments. This crap is really getting old.
    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    Playing wiffleball in the yard .....
    Yeah,
    With as much organized baseball that I played...maybe the most fun I had was in all the epic wiffle ball games held throughout my neighborhood (late 70's-ealy 80's).

I miss SWAKO [or, in other places, maybe called STRIKE BOX]. We'd chalk [some painted] a strike zone box. Then we'd use a worn tennis ball, with a cropped fuzz. Bats were broom [or other] handles of appropriate length. The best "stuff" was with the tennis balls; but some used the Spalding pink rubber ball [Spaldeen]. We'd play one on one or two on two, calling balls and strikes [via the box] as we went along.

Store owners didn't appreciate the strike boxes; but some didn't care. Our sunken handball courts in the park were custom-taylored for SWAKO. As we evolved into purists, we'd BE teams ... and bat the lineup. You had to bat lefty if your player was a lefty. A Red Sox fan, I worked my *** off learning to bat lefty [so I wouldn't make TSW look bad]. Got pretty darn good, too.

Any body else remember SWAKO [by any name] OR was it a local NYC-LI thing?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast