X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck The Mets Fan!
    • Oct 2008

Now it's your turn San Diego!

I'm pulling for you guys! Not only to throw your first no hitter but have some hit for the cycle already!

How many one-hitters have The Padres thrown in their history?

Charles
    Fan of The NY Mets!
  • brewcrew82
    Mod against IL play!
    • Jan 2000

According to this: http://padreknowsbest.mlblogs.com/20...s-one-hitters/
    the Padres have 25 one-hitters in their history.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
      • Oct 2008

Well since no one has responded as of yet, I'm not truly enriched in Padre history, but I'll throw in a few of the obvious. This team has some of its memorable games against the Mets. Winning their first ever game against the Mets in 1969. The infamous no hit bid against the Mets where the starting pitcher was taken out for a pinch hitter. Tom Seaver's record setting 10 strike outs in a row, with a then record tying 19 overall strikeouts.

On the Padre side, Tony Gwynn who surprisingly never hit for the cycle, Gary Templeton, Dave Winfield, Steve Garvey, Kevin Camminitti are amongst some of their best hitters in their franchise history.

Pitchers, Jake Peavy, Chris Young, Randy Jones are three pitchers of that I can think of.

Please fill me in people on Padre history both dubious and greatness.

And once again I'm pulling for you guys to break one of these droughts soon.

Charles
      Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
        According to this: http://padreknowsbest.mlblogs.com/20...s-one-hitters/
        the Padres have 25 one-hitters in their history.
        I'm sorry Brewcrew, I didn't realize that you were responding to my post. Thank you for the information.

Charles
        Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• brewcrew82
          Mod against IL play!
          • Jan 2000

My pleasure. Up until today I thought it was only the Mets that had never thrown a no-no before...
          RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
            2005 World Series Champs
            • Jun 2010

I always thought so too. I always thought Randy Jones threw one once.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
              • Oct 2008

Most Mets fans knew of the Padres futility for years, but what's more perplexing is that The Padres have never had anyone hit for the cycle either. That's just as perplexing.
              Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• milladrive
                • Sep 2006

It was July 21, 1970, in the Padres second season. Rookie Clay Kirby had pitched 8 no-hit innings for the Padres against the Mets. After the 8th inning, manager Preston Gomez pulled Kirby, boldly stating to him, "No rookie should throw a no-hitter."

Granted, the Padres were down 1-0 going into the 9th and could've lost the game despite the potential no-hitter, but little did anyone know that 42 years later, the Padres would still have yet to throw a no-hitter. Not only was Gomez a moron for making that comment (and pulling Kirby), but I now consider the Padres' lack of a no-hitter "the curse of Preston Gomez." I'd like to see them break that curse.

The Padres ended up losing that game 3-0.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                  It was July 21, 1970, in the Padres second season. Rookie Clay Kirby had pitched 8 no-hit innings for the Padres against the Mets. After the 8th inning, manager Preston Gomez pulled Kirby, boldly stating to him, "No rookie should throw a no-hitter."

Granted, the Padres were down 1-0 going into the 9th and could've lost the game despite the potential no-hitter, but little did anyone know that 42 years later, the Padres would still have yet to throw a no-hitter. Not only was Gomez a moron for making that comment (and pulling Kirby), but I now consider the Padres' lack of a no-hitter "the curse of Preston Gomez." I'd like to see them break that curse.

incredible. Why would Preston say something as boneheaded and pull such a dumb move. Now did he pull out a player on hit from a cycle because he thought they might become tired running the bases.
                  Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                    • Oct 2008

It's been two weeks since I posted in this thread, and no reply since. I wonder if any passionate Padre fans know of this site? Since creating this post, I find my self truly pulling for San Diego to pitch that elusive no-hitter or hit for that darn cycle.

I truly would love to hear from a passionate Padre fan.
                    Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                      • Oct 2008

I might have feigned ignorance, but I couldve sworn the Marlins had had a hitting cycle as well, but I was wrong. Still waking up in the morning and finding out the The Padres are still no-hitterless.
                      Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                        • Oct 2008

Good ole' San Diego. Made my Mets look like crap this weekend. I wonder if any Padre fans are as fanatical as the Met fans were prior to Santana's "No-hitter".
                        Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• VIBaseball
                          Mets/Brooklyn Dodgers fan
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I never heard that version of events before, milladrive -- and I immediately doubted it because Kirby was in his second season in 1970.

This is what Gomez said at the time: "I play to win." He pulled Kirby for a pinch-hitter because the Padres were behind only 1-0.

Where did you hear/read your version?

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                            • Oct 2008

What a game pitched by Jason Marquis last night. A native New Yorker, Jason had been passed on by both the Mets and his childhood team The Yankees every time free agency comes up. The Mets could surely have used him.

Anyway, I digress. I'm glad that Jason is doing well despite bouncing around from team to team. That elusive "no-hitter" still intact.
                            Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                              • Oct 2008

Since I'm done watching the train wreck which are The Mets, I'll be keeping track of The Friars for the rest of the season.
                              Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X