What are you allowed to bring into your hometown MLB ballpark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jobu Voodoo
    • May 2012

What are you allowed to bring into your hometown MLB ballpark?

From what I hear on these boards, back in the day you were able to bring just about whatever the hell you wanted through the stadium gates, but things are different these days.

As far as my stadium (Progressive Field) is concerned, you're allowed to bring binoculars, cameras, and signs. When it comes to food and beverage, you are not allowed to bring in bottled pop, but juice boxes and pouches are OK. You can also bring sandwiches, peanuts, chips, and other small snackable items.

Oh, and of course, you cannot bring in your own alcohol or any sort of weapon. I hear that they don't like laser pointers either.

Here is something interesting though: With the exception of the last game I went to, they always searched the bags you brought in and gazed into purses, sometimes even patting you down. As a matter of fact, we had been caught trying to sneak in pop a couple of times. However, the last game I went to, they didn't check a single thing and I walked in with a bag full of stuff. I wonder if it is because attendance is so bad that they can't afford to turn anyone away.

Anyway, what about your stadium? I'm sure it varies and I wonder if there are any peculiar things that are allowed or not allowed at your stadium. Also, do they go out of their way to search you too?
  • Chevy114
    • Feb 2008

The trop said, I don't know if they still say this I like ballpark food too much, that you can bring any food that is in a clear bag i.e. sandwhiches. At one point they said unopned bottles of water.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• grape ape
      • Oct 2007

I used to work at Riverfront stadium as a security guard. Cans and bottles of any kind were banned. We had to check purses and backpacks. One woman's purse had at least a dozen pop cans in it. I told her she couldn't bring it in. Then she offered to give them to us. I politely told her that wasn't allowed. She was upset about "wasting" the soda, so she had her husband and kids stand outside the gates and chug down all of them.

Comment

• RfkFedEx
        • Jul 2009

Nats Park allows pretty much any food in a reasonably sized container. I think liquids are limited to unopened, plastic waters bottles only. There are no pat downs unless Obama's in the house. Bags and purses are always checked at every game. FedEx Field is the only venue I know of that allows nothing. No water, no peanuts, nothing. The pat downs are hardcore, but I still manage to sneak through w/ 16 ounce water bottles behind my fly.

Comment

• Jobu Voodoo
          • May 2012

Originally posted by grape ape View Post
          I used to work at Riverfront stadium as a security guard. Cans and bottles of any kind were banned. We had to check purses and backpacks. One woman's purse had at least a dozen pop cans in it. I told her she couldn't bring it in. Then she offered to give them to us. I politely told her that wasn't allowed. She was upset about "wasting" the soda, so she had her husband and kids stand outside the gates and chug down all of them.
          Do you know why there is a policy against cans? I understand bottles, because you can smuggle booze in, but cans are sealed.

Comment

• grape ape
            • Oct 2007

I'm sure it has to do with simply the stadium wanting you to pay 5 bucks for a watery coke.
            In the old days they used to sell beer in glass bottles, that you drank from. These were often chucked on the field, so I get that.
            As a security guard I saw all kinds of things smuggled in. Some guy had one of those binoculars that was actually a flask. Caught him taking sips from the "eyepiece".
            Last edited by grape ape; 06-13-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Jobu Voodoo
              • May 2012

I'm sure it has to do with simply the stadium wanting you to pay 5 bucks for a watery coke.
              In the old days they used to sell beer in glass bottles, that you drank from. These were often chucked on the field, so I get that.
              As a security guard I saw all kinds of things smuggled in. Some guy had one of those binoculars that was actually a flask. Caught him taking sips from the "eyepiece".
              That is so awesome! You must have a really keen eye to spot that or the binoculars must have been very shoddy-looking and he must have been very obvious.

Comment

• grape ape
                • Oct 2007

Heh, yes. Most people have the modern binoculars. Very small. This guy had the 1950s version, so it stood out.
                It was what my grandpa called "field glasses"
                Last edited by grape ape; 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• RfkFedEx
                  • Jul 2009

In the old days they used to sell beer in glass bottles, that you drank from.
                  How long ago was that?

Comment

• jnakamura
                    • Oct 2008

Dodger Stadium allows you to bring your own food. You can also bring in water, juice or soda, as long as it's in a sealed bottle that's less than 1 liter.
                    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                    - Walt Whitman

Comment

• robardin
                      Orange + Blue Pincushion
                      • Apr 2009

Citi Field allows you to bring in your own food, and drinks not in glass bottles. I was able to bring in liter bottles of water that were not open. I've brought in chips, sandwiches, leftover Dim Sum from Flushing, no problems. My friends have brought juice boxes for kids, as well as other kid snacks like fruit pieces, Cheerios in a plastic baggie, gummi faunae, jerky, too much to name... No coolers though, just insulated bags or packs.

I could swear I've heard of someone bringing in a few "Crave Cases" of White Castle burgers (30 per case) to the ballpark, but that may have been at Shea Stadium.
                      «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Comment

• Yankeefan3783
                        • Oct 2008

Yankee Stadium allows all food, and up to 1 liter of non-alcoholic drink. I normally bring a bottle of water or soda and a sandwich in a hot/cold bag. Security normally searches the bag by just looking inside and patting the outside of the bag.

Comment

• grape ape
                          • Oct 2007

Before my time. Pete Rose talks about it in his early playing days, beer bottles, quarters, batteries being thrown at him from the stands. Guess the 50s and 60s.

Comment

• RfkFedEx
                            • Jul 2009

I've read plenty of stories of alleged glass bottle throwing incidents at stadiums over the decades, but I can't say I've ever seen a case actually documented from a media source.

Does anyone know of a venue that allowed glass bottles into the general admission seating areas? I've never seen glass permitted outside of the suite areas in modern venues.

Comment

• TommieAgeefan
                              • Apr 2009

When the Marlins played at Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphin/Dolphins/LandShar/SunLife/your name here Stadium, umbrellas were not allowed inside. Don't know if the management thought that they would block the view of other patrons, or thought some of the more uncouth patrons might try to use them as weapons. Funny thing is, I saw pics of Marlins Park taken on a day when it was raining. Of course the roof was closed, so the game was played. I could swear that I saw people with umbrellas in the seats! So, no umbrellas allowed in a outdoor stadium where you could get rained on, you move to a moveable roof stadium where it will never rain inside, and the umbrellas are allowed. Typical South Florida!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X