• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjrbaseball
    long-time Yankee Fan
    • Jan 2000

Scoreboards

I'm starting this thread for the discussion of scoreboards. I love to study the configuration and makeup of scoreboards, and I wonder if there is anyone else who has this same fascination.

For example, is there anyone who is interested in such things as the matrix of bulbs in a digit (4x7, 5x7, 4x6, etc.); layout of the out-of-town scores (inning number to left or right, etc.); home game line scores; and other components.

Or just what scoreboards you find attractive or ugly; informative or lacking; or just with intriguing features. Don't restrict yourselves to the majors, either ... I'd love to hear about the guitar-shaped board in Nashville, for example.

I'll have my thoughts and some photos, too.

mjrbaseball :atthepc
    mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  
  • mjrbaseball
    long-time Yankee Fan
    • Jan 2000

I wonder if this is the only scoreboard that was ever used in two major league stadiums? After the Yankees replaced it, it was moved to Shibe Park in Philadelphia.

mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  

Comment

• mjrbaseball
      long-time Yankee Fan
      • Jan 2000

I've noticed that in some of the newer ballparks, there are different ways of showing extra innings on the home game line score.

In older parks, the innings were/are numbered 1-10, and when the 10th inning is reached, they clear the board and put the 11th inning in the 1st inning spot.

Nowadays, I've seen some boards "slide" the line score. (I think Camden Yards does this.) After the 10th inning, the score slides to the left, and the first inning drops off the edge, so it has the 2nd through 11th innings on. Then it will show only the 3rd through 12th, etc.

I can't remember where I saw it, but one park with a computerized board "squeezes" the line score. They fit all the innings where the original 1st-9th were by making the numbers and/or the spaces between them narrower. When that room is used up, they change the team name to an abbreviation to make more room. But I'm sure that system has a limit to it, and I don't know what happens then.

Of the "rerack", the "slide" and the "squeeze", I prefer the rerack, just for tradition's sake, although the squeeze keeps all the information up. The slide is worthless.
      mjrbaseball

Comment

• mjrbaseball
        long-time Yankee Fan
        • Jan 2000

This is cool:
        mjrbaseball

Comment

• otis89
          • Apr 2005

Which stadium's scoreboard has never been hit by a home run?

Comment

• Chisox73
            Thunderstruck!
            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by mjrbaseball
            This is cool:
            Now that's one of the most unique designs I've seen.

Comment

• tonypug
              • Nov 2003

One of the best scoreboards of all time was the famous Ebbets Field scoreboard. The great advertising, the vast size and the fact it was in play, just added to the enjoyment of a game there. Just a wonderful piece of baseball history.
              Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
              www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• Chisox73
                Thunderstruck!
                • Jan 2000

Here's a nice pic of the Ebbets Field scoreboard. Enjoy!

Comment

• tonypug
                  • Nov 2003

THanks Chisox73, they don't make them like that anymore. Another of my favoites was the exploding scoreboard at old Comiskey.

Comment

• Chisox73
                    Thunderstruck!
                    • Jan 2000

In that pic,you get a great view of that concave wall.They don't make walls like that anymore,too.

Comment

• mjrbaseball
                      long-time Yankee Fan
                      • Jan 2000

Look closely at the Ebbetts Field scoreboard, at the very bottom, just above the Abe Stark sign. They squeezed in the Yankees score there. (It says YANKS at far left and CLEVE in the center.) I guess they put the lines side-by-side instead of on top of each other.
                      mjrbaseball

Comment

• mjrbaseball
                        long-time Yankee Fan
                        • Jan 2000

tonypug: Another of my favoites was the exploding scoreboard at old Comiskey.

What is that OFF DEF RULE at the lower right for? And what is a PITCHOMETER?
                        Last edited by mjrbaseball; 05-21-2005, 08:23 PM.
                        mjrbaseball

Comment

• tonypug
                          • Nov 2003

Great picture,and good questions, hope somebody has the answer.

Comment

• BeatEmBucs
                            • Feb 2005

I would think Pitch-o-meter would've been one of the first attempts at posting pitch speed on a scoreboard. Not sure what those OFF/DEF/RULE is for. I would think RULE might be where the "Hit" or "Error" would be posted on a close play. Those scoreboards shown were cool, but my most memorable was the original behemouth scoreboard at the old 3 rivers stadium that stretched from left center to right center. And had the Pirate logo in the center (and steeler logo during football season) Of course the classic hand operated Wrigley board is cool too.
                            LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

• Elvis
                              Team Veteran
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by otis89
                              Which stadium's scoreboard has never been hit by a home run?
                              There isn't really one answer to that, although, I'm sure you're thinking of Wrigley Field. I know Dodger Stadium's boards have never been touched by a home run either.

This is a great topic!

One of my favorite scoreboards is the original 230 ft high "Big A" scoreboard at Anaheim Stadium. The halo-topped giant was in use behind the left field wall from 1966-78. After the stadium was enclosed for the Rams, the board was moved to the edge of the parking lot to be used for advertising stadium events. The board was built at a cost of $2 million in 1966. The cost was paid for by Standard Oil in exchange for exclusive advertising rights.

Unfortunately, when the stadium was remodeled in 1997-98, the board was not restored to it's rightfull place in left field. But at least it's still being used at the Big A.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X