Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Laser Beam
    • Sep 2010

When was the last time that the large text message area in Shea's original scoreboard was actually used?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Paul W
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
      When was the last time that the large text message area in Shea's original scoreboard was actually used?
      either '80 or '81. no pix of s'board in '81.
      Attached Files
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
        • Sep 2010

So why did they stop using it?
        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Mister B.
          NYM: The fun never stops
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
          the 8th run had just scored, that's rowland office @ 2nd. board op. added run to line score then adds to total, was probably in the act of doing this.
          Ay yi yi, I was just kidding around, the way the other guy was kidding around about the Playboy bunnies thing.

But it's impressive how fast you pulled up all that detailed information. Where did you get it?
          Last edited by Mister B.; 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Mister B.
            NYM: The fun never stops
            • Aug 2008

At the time they said that what was typed was starting to bear no resemblance to what appeared on the message board - too many letters were coming up as something else, or not at all. Also, there was no way to make a correction, so to try again, the whole message had to be retyped. Rather than invest in repairs, the new owners that arrived in 1980 decided to go for something new.

For a couple of years they put a really lame, tiny message board in left-center, but quickly replaced it in 1982 with a color screen (small and primitive by today's standards, but very progressive and impressive back then.)

Comment

• Paul W
              • May 2008

budweiser ad $$$'s. messages (and more ad's) were displayed on the lf board. they regarded that space as a redundancy and potential income space regardless of how old the technology was. remember it's a business...
              Last edited by Paul W; 11-21-2010, 03:25 PM.
              reality really sucks.
              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Paul W
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Mister B. View Post
                Ay yi yi, I was just kidding around, the way the other guy was kidding around about the Playboy bunnies thing.

But it's impressive how fast you pulled up all that detailed information. Where did you get it?
                retrosheet...
                reality really sucks.
                enjoy the game more...

Comment

• voodoochile
                  • Mar 2005

First of all, there are numerous articles that state that the Phillies purchased the Yankee Stadium scoreboard in 1956. I have also read accounts of people who actually saw it being trucked in from New York.
                  Second, you have to ask yourself why the Yankees decided to get rid of it. Could it be because it was old and falling apart? Take a look at the photos that you posted of the scoreboard in Yankee Stadium, and the one in Philly. The one in Yankee Stadium looks beat all to hell, while the one in Philly appears new.
                  I doubt that any ball club would bring in a used scoreboard that was distressed without first remodeling it before installing it.

Comment

• jnakamura
                    • Oct 2008

Any photos of the scoreboard that the KC A's bought from Braves Field?
                    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                    - Walt Whitman

Comment

• brooklyndodger14
                      Former OYS Vendor 1971-83
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                      here's a pix of the last pitch, all the lit digits are italicized...
                      Hello Paul W,

Actually, that is an optical illusion caused by the combination of two factors:

First, the last pitch at OYS picture is a telephoto shot. The properties of any telephoto image include a "flattened" look, where everything in the field of view is more or less in the same focus if the lens is set to infinity.

The second factor is that the bleacher wall in that section of RF angles away from the plate as you move from right to left. What results is a receding effect on the horizontal plane (the left area that is farther away is smaller than the closer area on the right).

Perhaps a better explanation would be to think of a picture of a subway coming out of a tunnel, or a row of flagpoles like at the UN or Rockefeller Center. When viewed from an angle, the front of the subway seems much larger than the back end in the distance, while the closest flagpole seems much larger than the ones set further away.

Attached are two pictures of the LF auxillary scoreboard. Looking at all of the displays (note especially the "E" display near Marichal) show then to be vertical format. Now if you compare that to the "E" display in the Mantle photo, you can see that the numeral "1" appears at an angle like your last pitch photo. It all depends on the angle viewed when a picture is taken.

Dennis
                      BrooklynDodger14
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 11-21-2010, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• jnakamura
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
                        Hello Paul W,

Actually, that is an optical illusion caused by the combination of two factors:

First, the last pitch at OYS picture is a telephoto shot. The properties of any telephoto image include a "flattened" look, where everything in the field of view is more or less in the same focus if the lens is set to infinity.

The second factor is that the bleacher wall in that section of RF angles away from the plate as you move from right to left. What results is a receding effect on the horizontal plane (the left area that is farther away is smaller than the closer area on the right).

Perhaps a better explanation would be to think of a picture of a subway coming out of a tunnel, or a row of flagpoles like at the UN or Rockefeller Center. When viewed from an angle, the front of the subway seems much larger than the back end in the distance, while the closest flagpole seems much larger than the ones set further away.

Attached are two pictures of the LF auxillary scoreboard. Looking at all of the displays (note especially the "E" display near Marichal) show then to be vertical format. Now if you compare that to the "E" display in the Mantle photo, you can see that the numeral "1" appears at an angle like your last pitch photo. It all depends on the angle viewed when a picture is taken.

Dennis
                        BrooklynDodger14
                        I have to agree that the digits are indeed at a slight angle. The giveaway is that you can easily compare them with the static BALL STRIKE AT BAT signs which are level and plumb.
                        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                        - Walt Whitman

Comment

• lizmcl
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                          First of all, there are numerous articles that state that the Phillies purchased the Yankee Stadium scoreboard in 1956. I have also read accounts of people who actually saw it being trucked in from New York.
                          Second, you have to ask yourself why the Yankees decided to get rid of it. Could it be because it was old and falling apart? Take a look at the photos that you posted of the scoreboard in Yankee Stadium, and the one in Philly. The one in Yankee Stadium looks beat all to hell, while the one in Philly appears new.
                          I doubt that any ball club would bring in a used scoreboard that was distressed without first remodeling it before installing it.
                          I listened the other night to the radio broadcast of the Yankees' first game of the 1959 season -- Red Sox/Yankees, 4/12/59 -- and the broadcasters make a very big deal of discussing the "new scoreboard" that's just been installed at the Stadium for the new season. This would confirm that the 1956 date commonly published for the replacement of the Stadium board is wrong. The board at Connie Mack Stadium, however, was definitely installed by the start of the 1956 season, when the old board was still in place at Yankee Stadium.

Comment

• mjrbaseball
                            long-time Yankee Fan
                            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by lizmcl View Post
                            I listened the other night to the radio broadcast of the Yankees' first game of the 1959 season -- Red Sox/Yankees, 4/12/59 -- and the broadcasters make a very big deal of discussing the "new scoreboard" that's just been installed at the Stadium for the new season. This would confirm that the 1956 date commonly published for the replacement of the Stadium board is wrong. The board at Connie Mack Stadium, however, was definitely installed by the start of the 1956 season, when the old board was still in place at Yankee Stadium.
                            I thought as much.

No offense, voodoochile. I agree that if Philadelphia took a used scoreboard they would refurbish it, and that could mean rearranging some items. But the Shibe Park scoreboard had entirely different types of digits than OYS. (Notice the 4x8 matrix of the Shibe numbers -- the same as the post-1959 YS board -- compared with the 4x6 of the old YS board.) That's more than refurbishing, that's a whole new board.

mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  

Comment

• Paul W
                              • May 2008

i've worked as a graphic designer for more than 30 years, involved with photography and typography.
                              looking at photos i can tell the difference between optical illusions created by perspective and i also know italiced letter/number forms when i see them.

here are photos of all 3 oys scoreboards, shot from all different angles.

it's obvious that the non-electrified letter forms (painted & back lit) are in the "roman" form and the electrified numbers are italicized.

this becomes more obvious by using the green lines (vertical, baseline)

if angles and telephoto lenses distort the letter forms then why are the painted letters and numbers in #3 roman and the electrified numbers italic?

the "style" used by scoreboard companies like american indicator beginning in the mid 50's on tended to be the italiced one, with some exceptions - Shea etc..
                              the style was left up to the client, although fewer italiced letter spaces could be fit into the same space as "roman".
                              the block matrix boards that followed made the the italic style unnecessary.

#4 shows the older board and the later one shot at close to the same angle. the older one has all letters and numbers are in "roman" form, the only lettering that is italicized is the longines name on the clock. the newer had "roman" form for the back lit team/city names etc. and italic for numbers and message board.

#1 shows the difference in the close-up of tigers outfielder reaching for the ball, the vertical lines next to numbers for football, and the italic numbers/letters next to "roman" style letters (STRIKE 0, POS.RF).

#5 here are examples of italicized numbers in minneapolis and milwaukee.

one of the reasons for the two different letter styles is legibility.

on top of all of this, i attended many games at oys '66-'73 including the last one and i saw it for myself.

all of this evidence should put this matter to rest.

your effort is well done, but you'll just have to make the minor changes. in p'shop it's not difficult.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Paul W; 11-22-2010, 03:02 PM.
                              reality really sucks.
                              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Paul W
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by mjrbaseball View Post
                                I thought as much.

No offense, voodoochile. I agree that if Philadelphia took a used scoreboard they would refurbish it, and that could mean rearranging some items. But the Shibe Park scoreboard had entirely different types of digits than OYS. (Notice the 4x8 matrix of the Shibe numbers -- the same as the post-1959 YS board -- compared with the 4x6 of the old YS board.) That's more than refurbishing, that's a whole new board.
                                the phils did make changes.
                                from the electric number matrixes, to the layout of the center section (green arrow) and possibly the movable back lit lettering (white, blue arrows).

the close-up's show - that the matrix panels were changed from "roman" to italic (magenta, orange, red arrows), those matrixes were laid out differently (orange), the names at the top of the batting order columns (top yellow arrow) although the words "batting order" may have been retained.

one obvious difference was the typeface used at oys comes close to "copperplate" w/serifs (light blue arrow). the oys moveable letters were also 3 dimensional, with a slight bubble effect - the shadows it casts can be seen in photos. looks like the phils went w/sans serif flat glass lettering.

it's still the same structure with ad's added top and bottom, possibly the clock is the same. the maintenance railing across the top may be the same also.
                                wonder how far the structure hung over the bottom ad's?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Paul W; 11-22-2010, 06:02 PM.
                                reality really sucks.
                                enjoy the game more...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X