View Poll Results: Who is the better player?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theodore

62 64.58%
  • Barry

34 35.42%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Bonds vs. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    but Williams only had 7 opponents with 22 games vs each

you missed the point

Bonds played in a 12 14 or 16 team league with interleague play

he wasn't playing 44 games a year vs the Browns and A's, 2 of the worst franchises and periods for a franchise in history

and the stats speak for themselves
    I made a vow at least a year ago to never again "correspond" with Roy in threads like this. So, this is just a general comment to all the participants- I definitely didn't miss the point. I pointed out that Williams, like just about every hitter in history, generally had bigger numbers against the lesser teams. But, even his "lesser" stats were still exceptional. That's a fact- the stats speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    I made a vow at least a year ago to never again "correspond" with Roy in threads like this.
    A good policy, one which I try to follow.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

My post was NOT meant to be condescending and I apologize if you took it that way

However, it is easy to say all hitters hit better vs bad teams and all eras had bad teams and just dismiss the point without actually discussing the merits of ot, that is just as bad IMO

and it is also WORSE to say "I made a policy never to corrrespond with member XYZ again" simply bating and inflammatory
    touche

I guess I should have wrote, I don't mean to offend you, but possibly perhaps maybe there is a chance you might have missed what I was trying to say"

would that satisfy you>??

sheesh

I would still reply the Philly A's under an old octonegarian Connie Mack and then the KC A's (who were more of a minor league team for the Yankees than anything else) were a very very poor ml franchise and one of the worst in history. You couple that with the inept st Louis Browns (look at Boston vs St Louis B 1950) were another all time bad team and in an 8 team league that becomes much more galring. I stand by the premise that Williams built up his record playing full games (in 29-4 routs) of very poor teams and the Red Sox as a team and Williams in particular could have made more of a legend of themselves if they had played better in key pennant races games which they CERTAINLY did not

the 1950 Red Sox are revered for being the last team to hit .300 as a team (and they played .610 ball) too bad they had LOSING records vs each of the 3 other winning teams in the league but demolished the weaker teams

that is why rate stats and contrived formulas like war are so bad - they fool people

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    I made a vow at least a year ago to never again "correspond" with Roy in threads like this. So, this is just a general comment to all the participants- I definitely didn't miss the point. I pointed out that Williams, like just about every hitter in history, generally had bigger numbers against the lesser teams. But, even his "lesser" stats were still exceptional. That's a fact- the stats speak for themselves.
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 01-25-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

amazing in't it that 1951 was the ONLY season from 1950-1960 that Williams played a "full" season

and the splits are scary bad

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I gave you 19 seasons worth of data and you ask me to explain one outlier?
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

and for the UMPTEENTH time,, I realize my "rankings" (hate that term - I guess I would say preferences) are not conventional and I do not disprepect others who have more conventional "rankings"

examples

don't think much of Ted Williams
    or Rogers Hornsby
    I think Marichal is hands down better than Gibson
    I think Casey Stengel, on the whole is way over rated

I rate DiMaggio higher than most others

etc etc

but what happens is others just try to jam conventional thinking and look at rate stats or career stats and apply things like WAR to make their points and I just don't buy it

does that make me a lesser baseball fan than you?

Roy-seems you have a thing vs Teddy Ballgame. Myself I know the age old Dimag vs Teddy vs Musial vs Mays vs Hank vs Clemente debates are all the rage and really don't have answers-but none of them is anything less than an alltimer.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011