• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bothrops Atrox
    IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Yeah, that must be yet another site. Although 9 isn't too much higher than BBRef, which lists him at 8.2 WAR
    I include pitcher offense in all of my WAR totals. it is very important in a non-DH draft, but included it out of habit here anyway.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
      Gator wrastler
      • May 2007

I hope everyone isn't just bulking up on WAR and going to decide teams primarily on that
      "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
        2005 World Series Champs
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
        I hope everyone isn't just bulking up on WAR and going to decide teams primarily on that
        I think war plays a big part in most of everyones decisions but there are cases where I wouldn't use war as a deciding factor.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
          IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
          • Feb 2005

I haven't heard anybody suggest that that was the case nor have I seen any of these people do it in the past. It is just a lot easier to post WAR than 10 different stats.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Ben Grimm
            Semi-lucid User
            • Jun 2012

Now that the draft is complete, please have your rosters 100% updated no later than Sunday (10/21) 11:59pm ET / 8:59pm PT. Voting process will commence on Monday morning.
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
              Gator wrastler
              • May 2007

I ran our teams in a 140-game season simulator I co-created. It assumes there are no injuries, doesn't apply fatigue for nonpitchers, and provides a league average player if a guy flails over 40 games, who automatically comes back to perform after missing ten games. I entered each player's name, position(s), handedness, and basic stats (everything I listed in my roster post except OPS/ERA+, WAR, WPA, and WPA/LI).

It does assume that players will be routinely substituted and occasionally places guys at a secondary position if needed. In equal handedness matchups (RvR or LvL), batters lose 20% skill and pitchers gain 20% skill.

For opposing matchups, the opposite occurs. Baserunning based on SB amount and CS% of baserunner and catcher. Fielding based on subjective grades I gave from 0.5-2.0 in increments of 0.5 (poor, average, good, excellent). I tried my best at this, giving most guys 1.0 (average).

HRS= Honolulu Rainbow Surfers (9RoyHobbsRF)
              TBP= Thunder Bay Peregrines (Ben Grimm)
              BRM- Bridesmaids (John Shoemaker)
              SSH- South Side Hitmen (chicago1173)
              VLW= New England Valley Walkers (Tyrus4189Cobb)
              AKI- Arkham Inmates (I'm assuming since that's his usual name; Wade8813)
              BRT= (Big Ron's Team)
              NCN= North County Notechis (Matthew C)

April 1st-August 29th, 2012
              VLW (Tyrus): 87-53
              TBP (Ben): 85-55
              NCN (Matt): 72-68
              AKI (Wade): 70-70
              BRM (John): 70-70
              HRS (Roy): 62-78
              BRT (Ron): 59-81
              SSH (chicago): 55-85

This will not affect my voting whatsoever. It is something fun using a crude season simulator

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                The Natural
                • Jan 2009

Tyrus you list Fred Lynn as your LF

he did not play a single game in LF ib 1975 thus is inelgible for that position
                1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• BigRon
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post

Is that right? I think Ben had 2 contradictory rules concerning this. I never bothered to follow up , but somewhere he said that CFers can play corner positions, with (I believe) no mention of % of games played. Clarification is needed.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                    Semi-lucid User
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                    Is that right? I think Ben had 2 contradictory rules concerning this. I never bothered to follow up , but somewhere he said that CFers can play corner positions, with (I believe) no mention of % of games played. Clarification is needed.
                    No matter the position - a player had to play 16 games in a position to qualify. It's Rule #3 found in first post of Draft Thread.

This was probably a simple oversight by Tyrus as we had dialogue pertaining to Cobb exclusively being a RF the year he was drafted.
                    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                      The Natural
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                      No matter the position - a player had to play 16 games in a position to qualify. It's Rule #3 found in first post of Draft Thread.

This was probably a simple oversight by Tyrus as we had dialogue pertaining to Cobb exclusively being a RF the year he was drafted.
                      I asked VERY Early in the draft if CF can play corner OF because I was going to draft Duke Snider as a corner OF and/or Reggie Smith as my possible starting RF and backup CF - and it was verified they had to play 16 games at a position to qualify.
                      Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM.
                      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

• Wade8813
                        The Dark Knight = Amazing
                        • Jul 2006

It does assume that players will be routinely substituted and occasionally places guys at a secondary position if needed. In equal handedness matchups (RvR or LvL), batters lose 20% skill and pitchers gain 20% skill.
                        That seems like an awfully large split (although I may be wrong).
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                          Gator wrastler
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post

I was going according to post #11, which states:

"Unless anybody has an objection, I'll let CFs play any OF position. RFs can play LF, but LFs cannot play RF. I'm one of those believers that most LFs are there because they don't have the arm necessary for playing RF."

Lynn, Wynn, and Henderson (that sounds awesome) are all CFers and can thus can play any OF position. Cobb can play corner OF and Clarke is exclusive to LF. I listed everything to their secondary positions in my roster post.
                          Last edited by Tyrus4189Cobb; 10-19-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                            Gator wrastler
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                            That seems like an awfully large split (although I may be wrong).
                            You'd be surprised. Most hitters gain anywhere from 10-35% increase in stats when facing opposing handedness. If they aren't gaining, then the only person they can be losing to is the pitcher. Using 20% is the healthiest medium to achieve the best results for my particular simulator.

Ben, where should we post our votes?

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                              The Natural
                              • Jan 2009

I was going according to post #11, which states:

"Unless anybody has an objection, I'll let CFs play any OF position. RFs can play LF, but LFs cannot play RF. I'm one of those believers that most LFs are there because they don't have the arm necessary for playing RF."

Lynn, Wynn, and Henderson (that sounds awesome) are all CFers and can thus can play any OF position. Cobb can play corner OF and Clarke is exclusive to LF. I listed everything to their secondary positions in my roster post.
                              I did ask if CF could play a corner position and was told they had to play 16 games at ANY specific position to qualify for that specific position

Comment

• Wade8813
                                The Dark Knight = Amazing
                                • Jul 2006

You'd be surprised. Most hitters gain anywhere from 10-35% increase in stats when facing opposing handedness. If they aren't gaining, then the only person they can be losing to is the pitcher. Using 20% is the healthiest medium to achieve the best results for my particular simulator.

Ben, where should we post our votes?
                                If you increase the hitter by 20% AND decrease the pitcher by 20%, doesn't that have a net effect of 40% (or close to it)?
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X