Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets 2012/2013 Off-Season Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Really?????
    You think Arod was going to go to any team for a discount? come on!! The Met put a smear campaign on him? Do you think agents use the press to put pressure on teams to sign players at inflated prices? Arod fit in with the Yankees because Jeter is the big dog. Jeter took pressure off of Arod and I think he showed him to a certain extent how to be a professional. Is Arod a great player? Yes. Is he a leader and someone who can lead teams to championships? IMO, no. Was Vladimer a mistake, definately. But at the time it was not a no brainer signing. Now back to the 2012/2013 Mets. Use any term you want to say "not just throw money around" if fiscally responsible turns you off and tell us what 7-8 things the Mets can do to make them compete next year? I think that is what this thread is for, but it seems like bashing anyone who still likes to "root for the Mets" is what many of these discussions revolve around. However, I do believe the bashers will be more than willing to spend there money if and when the Mets start to win again. In my opinion, thats frontrunning and being a fair-weather fan. It also takes away a lot of the credibility of things that are said.

The Mets re-signed Tim Byrdak.
    Last edited by Cowtipper; 11-26-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    One day fans will see that the Wilpons having winning somewhere on the back page on their priority list.
    Somehow, I view the terms "winning" and "page on their priority list" to be a Wilpon contradiction in terms. A "Wilcontradiction" if you will. I simply love playing with their name.

P.S. Let's try to keep the topic, folks. Several recent posts have been moved to the Citi Field Concessions thread in the Ballparks forum.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    You think Arod was going to go to any team for a discount? come on!! The Met put a smear campaign on him? Do you think agents use the press to put pressure on teams to sign players at inflated prices? Arod fit in with the Yankees because Jeter is the big dog. Jeter took pressure off of Arod and I think he showed him to a certain extent how to be a professional. Is Arod a great player? Yes. Is he a leader and someone who can lead teams to championships? IMO, no. Was Vladimer a mistake, definately. But at the time it was not a no brainer signing. Now back to the 2012/2013 Mets. Use any term you want to say "not just throw money around" if fiscally responsible turns you off and tell us what 7-8 things the Mets can do to make them compete next year? I think that is what this thread is for, but it seems like bashing anyone who still likes to "root for the Mets" is what many of these discussions revolve around. However, I do believe the bashers will be more than willing to spend there money if and when the Mets start to win again. In my opinion, thats frontrunning and being a fair-weather fan. It also takes away a lot of the credibility of things that are said.
    Oh my God. You believe all the crap you read dont you?

Jeter took pressure off of ARod...are you asleep. Jeter single handidly made ARods life hell here early on. When the fan and Media were all over ARod...Jeter the CAPTAIN did nothing to take anything off of ARod. It would have taken one interview with a one paragraph for the fans to back off and Jeter did NOTHING.

Jeter showed ARod how to be a pro? Ok now your getting scary. ARod was an all time great, a two time MVP and probalby the best player in the game - at least in the AL. Jeter showed ARod nothing. Jeter couldnt carry ARod's jock back in the day. Lets get real. ARod moved over to 3rd to be a Yankee while being the far superior shortstop. So ARod showed Jeter about being a team player.

Lead a team to championships? You really are a propaganda junkie arent you? You believe Jeter led his teams to championships? The Yankees had superior pitching, a great lineup, and a superior bullpen...thats why the Yankees won championships.

Let me ask you something Mr Jeters agent....if Jeter played his whole career on the Royals...how many championships would the supremely professional, and leader of champions have......times up....ZERO...theres your number. Put Nomar, ARod, Vizquel on the Yankees and they still have 5 since the mid 90's. Maybe more.

Nobody is bashing you for liking the Mets...we all the like them here. We all just have our own angle on how to deal with the worst organization pound for pound in pro sports. Hands down.

You opt to walk around with pom-poms out. I am very much in wait and see mode because I will not be taken anymore.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 11-26-2012 at 07:06 PM.

You think Arod was going to go to any team for a discount? come on!! The Met put a smear campaign on him?
    Maybe not but the Mets took the low road instead of making an offer. Which is nothing new with the Mets. Only thing back then it was Steve Phillips that was the bullet proof vest for Wilscum.

Remember Phillips telling all the propaganda hungry fans about ARod wanting a tent at the ST facility, and wanting a luxury box...etc etc. Those things were nothing new or extraordinary in negotiations, but Phillips under the umbrella of Wilscum went to the press with the details. Very classy move by the way.

The Mets - who Arod I believe was his first choice...never even made an offer of any kind. Yes he got 25 million a year, but maybe the Mets should have offered 17 million a year just to make an offer and see what happens. Do you know why Wilscum didnt? I will tell you why... Wilscum feared that if he made ARod an offer that ARod would have accepted the offer...then what? Then Wilscum would have to pay. He didnt want that.

I mean after all...what major market team needs and can afford a shortstop that hits 40 homers and plays a GG caliber short. Nah....not for us. We needed Rey Ordonez......who needed ARod. Good grief

Maybe not but the Mets took the low road instead of making an offer. Which is nothing new with the Mets. Only thing back then it was Steve Phillips that was the bullet proof vest for Wilscum.

Remember Phillips telling all the propaganda hungry fans about ARod wanting a tent at the ST facility, and wanting a luxury box...etc etc. Those things were nothing new or extraordinary in negotiations, but Phillips under the umbrella of Wilscum went to the press with the details. Very classy move by the way.

The Mets - who Arod I believe was his first choice...never even made an offer of any kind. Yes he got 25 million a year, but maybe the Mets should have offered 17 million a year just to make an offer and see what happens. Do you know why Wilscum didnt? I will tell you why... Wilscum feared that if he made ARod an offer that ARod would have accepted the offer...then what? Then Wilscum would have to pay. He didnt want that.

I mean after all...what major market team needs and can afford a shortstop that hits 40 homers and plays a GG caliber short. Nah....not for us. We needed Rey Ordonez......who needed ARod. Good grief
    "24 +1" was the back page of the Daily News, fed by the Wilpon smear machine as I recall....

Long history of pretending to pursue players, then running them down. We saw the most recent case last year. And if Wright decides to seek his fortune (and a ring) elsewhere, we'll hear how he's not such a great guy after all.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Blog Entries

Jeter took pressure off of ARod...are you asleep. Jeter single handidly made ARods life hell here early on. When the fan and Media were all over ARod...Jeter the CAPTAIN did nothing to take anything off of ARod. It would have taken one interview with a one paragraph for the fans to back off and Jeter did NOTHING.

Jeter showed ARod how to be a pro? Ok now your getting scary. ARod was an all time great, a two time MVP and probalby the best player in the game - at least in the AL. Jeter showed ARod nothing. Jeter couldnt carry ARod's jock back in the day. Lets get real. ARod moved over to 3rd to be a Yankee while being the far superior shortstop. So ARod showed Jeter about being a team player.

Lead a team to championships? You really are a propaganda junkie arent you? You believe Jeter led his teams to championships? The Yankees had superior pitching, a great lineup, and a superior bullpen...thats why the Yankees won championships.

Let me ask you something Mr Jeters agent....if Jeter played his whole career on the Royals...how many championships would the supremely professional, and leader of champions have......times up....ZERO...theres your number. Put Nomar, ARod, Vizquel on the Yankees and they still have 5 since the mid 90's. Maybe more.

Nobody is bashing you for liking the Mets...we all the like them here. We all just have our own angle on how to deal with the worst organization pound for pound in pro sports. Hands down.

You opt to walk around with pom-poms out. I am very much in wait and see mode because I will not be taken anymore.
    And how many rings would Arod have with the Royals? Enough with Arod, I really must have touched a nerve on that one, sorry. I think we started this thing with your quote about knowing 7-8 things the Mets could do to be able to contend next year. I am much more interested in that and I would hope the few who still monitor this thread would be also. Lets Go Mets (or is that a dirty word around here?)

Blog Entries

you want propaganda, I"ll give you propaganda . http://youtu.be/g3dn2RanPQg

Blog Entries

My new favorite player, Arod!!! http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1208274

And how many rings would Arod have with the Royals? Enough with Arod, I really must have touched a nerve on that one, sorry. I think we started this thing with your quote about knowing 7-8 things the Mets could do to be able to contend next year. I am much more interested in that and I would hope the few who still monitor this thread would be also. Lets Go Mets (or is that a dirty word around here?)
    ARod would have zero rings with the Royals, but then again I dont walk around calling ARod (or anyone else) a championship player. I understand that baseball is a team game.

Honestly I hold no ill will, nor was a nerve hit. I just was pointing out the history of Wilscum...even with great players. His interest in winning is next to zero. To believe otherwise is just not very smart.

you want propaganda, I"ll give you propaganda . http://youtu.be/g3dn2RanPQg
    I actually watched that.

The one thing that really stood out to me was one thing I hear Met fans say...on here on and otherwise was also stated in the video. "One day we will get lucky".

I hate to tell the narrarator or anyone else but luck doesnt win over 162 games. Talent does. Sure there is a certain luck factor involved but have you ever noticed that the talented teams are the ones that get luck also?

I actually watched that.

The one thing that really stood out to me was one thing I hear Met fans say...on here on and otherwise was also stated in the video. "One day we will get lucky".

I hate to tell the narrarator or anyone else but luck doesnt win over 162 games. Talent does. Sure there is a certain luck factor involved but have you ever noticed that the talented teams are the ones that get luck also?

Yes, luck has nothing to do with it...it's talent from a 25 man roster. Look at the SF Giants. Down 2-0, they go to Cincy and sweep. Down 3-1 to the defending champ Cardinals, they win the next three. Then they go out and sweep the mighty American League ! ...second WS win in 3 years. All the Giants need to do is to add ONE bat into that lineup and I can see them winning again in 2013. yes, they gave up too much to rent Beltran in 2011 and they should have signed him...but they went out and won a WS in spite of making a bad trade. The Jints also won the WS with 'the freak' having a bad year....

The National league has quietly won three straight world series. Pitching, good defense, timely hitting...25 man effort. Not everyone has to be an all star, but everyone on the team needs to be a MLB caliber player. No amount of luck is going to compensate for a team that has 10 players who really do not belong on a MLB roster. Not to mention people actually starting for a team when they don't even belong in the majors.

The Giants won despite 1) not signing Beltran after giving up Wheeler 2) losing Melky Cabrera and his .346 average...and to their credit he was not on the post season roster 3)Tim Lincecum having a bad season. If they replace and /or correct these 3 pieces, does anyone really expect the NY Mets to compete with a team like this?

The general manager of the Mets makes fun of the Mets outfield; he makes jokes about the catchers and the bullpen....and three straight years the Mets have actually lost more games...83, 85, 88, and we are supposed to think this franchise is headed on the right path?

Blog Entries
    ARod would have zero rings with the Royals, but then again I dont walk around calling ARod (or anyone else) a championship player. I understand that baseball is a team game.

Honestly I hold no ill will, nor was a nerve hit. I just was pointing out the history of Wilscum...even with great players. His interest in winning is next to zero. To believe otherwise is just not very smart.
    I cannot agree with you totally as we go around and around. The Mets in the early 90s and 2000s did spend money, and a lot of it. I will assume it was to win games, some may think it was for a tax write off. They did not spend it on the right players. Again, in the hope I do not aggravate anyone by being positive, I would think the front office team currently assembled will make better decisions and inform there boss, Wilpon, on who to spend money on and who not to spend money on. I am not ready to judge the current front office as a success or a failure yet. This team needs to be rebuilt and to do it properly will take time. I guess no progress on those 7-8 moves written about yesterday?

Blog Entries
    Looks like there are talks for Wright at 7/115-120. Any thoughts? If Wright agrees thats one less trade chip. If the Mets keep Dickey do they have enough young pitching talent, Mejia, Familia maybe even Parnell to get at least 1 decent outfielder? Would it kill them to sign a free agent outfielder and let the rookies work out of the pen? I don't know but at least we may be getting closer to getting some answers?

I cannot agree with you totally as we go around and around. The Mets in the early 90s and 2000s did spend money, and a lot of it. I will assume it was to win games, some may think it was for a tax write off. They did not spend it on the right players. Again, in the hope I do not aggravate anyone by being positive, I would think the front office team currently assembled will make better decisions and inform there boss, Wilpon, on who to spend money on and who not to spend money on. I am not ready to judge the current front office as a success or a failure yet. This team needs to be rebuilt and to do it properly will take time. I guess no progress on those 7-8 moves written about yesterday?

No progress which equates to no winning in 2013 and beyond

Looks like there are talks for Wright at 7/115-120. Any thoughts? If Wright agrees thats one less trade chip. If the Mets keep Dickey do they have enough young pitching talent, Mejia, Familia maybe even Parnell to get at least 1 decent outfielder? Would it kill them to sign a free agent outfielder and let the rookies work out of the pen? I don't know but at least we may be getting closer to getting some answers?
    If Wright stays here BEFORE the Mets make a move to make the team better it just isnt good for the fans. They will sign Wright - and thats all folks. Just my guess.

Its time for Wright to look for a real team thats wants to win. He will get paid regardless of where he goes.

If Wright stays here BEFORE the Mets make a move to make the team better it just isnt good for the fans. They will sign Wright - and thats all folks. Just my guess.

Its time for Wright to look for a real team thats wants to win. He will get paid regardless of where he goes.
    Yeah he will probably sign. But by doing so, he's letting them off the hook. And settling for playing another few years in pure mediocrity.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

The Mets traded for infielder Brandon Hicks and re-signed Tim Byrdak.

Blog Entries
    Looks like Wright is signed. Is this good for the Mets, we will see. I like Wright as a player and person but realize the Mets need much more than him to field a winner. I am glad this is over before the winter meetings and lets see what else happens. Any chance we might be suprised with a outfielder signing? I would hate to give up young pitching or RA but if they do not want to sign a FA then thats the only ammo they have. Next week will be interesting.

That's great for Wright. He is obviously financially set for the rest of his life, and he will seemingly finish his career with his favorite team growing up. That is pretty awesome.

All that aside I am concerned with one thing.......winning.

As of today the Mets are not better than their 88 loss team of 2012. Yes there is time but .....well we all know the story
    Last edited by Paulypal; 12-02-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast