Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 345

Thread: Mets 2012/2013 Off-Season Thread

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    you want propaganda, I"ll give you propaganda . http://youtu.be/g3dn2RanPQg
    I actually watched that.

    The one thing that really stood out to me was one thing I hear Met fans say...on here on and otherwise was also stated in the video. "One day we will get lucky".

    I hate to tell the narrarator or anyone else but luck doesnt win over 162 games. Talent does. Sure there is a certain luck factor involved but have you ever noticed that the talented teams are the ones that get luck also?

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    5,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I actually watched that.

    The one thing that really stood out to me was one thing I hear Met fans say...on here on and otherwise was also stated in the video. "One day we will get lucky".

    I hate to tell the narrarator or anyone else but luck doesnt win over 162 games. Talent does. Sure there is a certain luck factor involved but have you ever noticed that the talented teams are the ones that get luck also?

    Yes, luck has nothing to do with it...it's talent from a 25 man roster. Look at the SF Giants. Down 2-0, they go to Cincy and sweep. Down 3-1 to the defending champ Cardinals, they win the next three. Then they go out and sweep the mighty American League ! ...second WS win in 3 years. All the Giants need to do is to add ONE bat into that lineup and I can see them winning again in 2013. yes, they gave up too much to rent Beltran in 2011 and they should have signed him...but they went out and won a WS in spite of making a bad trade. The Jints also won the WS with 'the freak' having a bad year....

    The National league has quietly won three straight world series. Pitching, good defense, timely hitting...25 man effort. Not everyone has to be an all star, but everyone on the team needs to be a MLB caliber player. No amount of luck is going to compensate for a team that has 10 players who really do not belong on a MLB roster. Not to mention people actually starting for a team when they don't even belong in the majors.

    The Giants won despite 1) not signing Beltran after giving up Wheeler 2) losing Melky Cabrera and his .346 average...and to their credit he was not on the post season roster 3)Tim Lincecum having a bad season. If they replace and /or correct these 3 pieces, does anyone really expect the NY Mets to compete with a team like this?

    The general manager of the Mets makes fun of the Mets outfield; he makes jokes about the catchers and the bullpen....and three straight years the Mets have actually lost more games...83, 85, 88, and we are supposed to think this franchise is headed on the right path?

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    953
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    ARod would have zero rings with the Royals, but then again I dont walk around calling ARod (or anyone else) a championship player. I understand that baseball is a team game.

    Honestly I hold no ill will, nor was a nerve hit. I just was pointing out the history of Wilscum...even with great players. His interest in winning is next to zero. To believe otherwise is just not very smart.
    I cannot agree with you totally as we go around and around. The Mets in the early 90s and 2000s did spend money, and a lot of it. I will assume it was to win games, some may think it was for a tax write off. They did not spend it on the right players. Again, in the hope I do not aggravate anyone by being positive, I would think the front office team currently assembled will make better decisions and inform there boss, Wilpon, on who to spend money on and who not to spend money on. I am not ready to judge the current front office as a success or a failure yet. This team needs to be rebuilt and to do it properly will take time. I guess no progress on those 7-8 moves written about yesterday?

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    953
    Blog Entries
    2
    Looks like there are talks for Wright at 7/115-120. Any thoughts? If Wright agrees thats one less trade chip. If the Mets keep Dickey do they have enough young pitching talent, Mejia, Familia maybe even Parnell to get at least 1 decent outfielder? Would it kill them to sign a free agent outfielder and let the rookies work out of the pen? I don't know but at least we may be getting closer to getting some answers?

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    I cannot agree with you totally as we go around and around. The Mets in the early 90s and 2000s did spend money, and a lot of it. I will assume it was to win games, some may think it was for a tax write off. They did not spend it on the right players. Again, in the hope I do not aggravate anyone by being positive, I would think the front office team currently assembled will make better decisions and inform there boss, Wilpon, on who to spend money on and who not to spend money on. I am not ready to judge the current front office as a success or a failure yet. This team needs to be rebuilt and to do it properly will take time. I guess no progress on those 7-8 moves written about yesterday?

    No progress which equates to no winning in 2013 and beyond

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Looks like there are talks for Wright at 7/115-120. Any thoughts? If Wright agrees thats one less trade chip. If the Mets keep Dickey do they have enough young pitching talent, Mejia, Familia maybe even Parnell to get at least 1 decent outfielder? Would it kill them to sign a free agent outfielder and let the rookies work out of the pen? I don't know but at least we may be getting closer to getting some answers?
    If Wright stays here BEFORE the Mets make a move to make the team better it just isnt good for the fans. They will sign Wright - and thats all folks. Just my guess.

    Its time for Wright to look for a real team thats wants to win. He will get paid regardless of where he goes.

  7. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    If Wright stays here BEFORE the Mets make a move to make the team better it just isnt good for the fans. They will sign Wright - and thats all folks. Just my guess.

    Its time for Wright to look for a real team thats wants to win. He will get paid regardless of where he goes.
    Yeah he will probably sign. But by doing so, he's letting them off the hook. And settling for playing another few years in pure mediocrity.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  8. #158
    The Mets traded for infielder Brandon Hicks and re-signed Tim Byrdak.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    953
    Blog Entries
    2
    Looks like Wright is signed. Is this good for the Mets, we will see. I like Wright as a player and person but realize the Mets need much more than him to field a winner. I am glad this is over before the winter meetings and lets see what else happens. Any chance we might be suprised with a outfielder signing? I would hate to give up young pitching or RA but if they do not want to sign a FA then thats the only ammo they have. Next week will be interesting.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    That's great for Wright. He is obviously financially set for the rest of his life, and he will seemingly finish his career with his favorite team growing up. That is pretty awesome.

    All that aside I am concerned with one thing.......winning.

    As of today the Mets are not better than their 88 loss team of 2012. Yes there is time but .....well we all know the story
    Last edited by Paulypal; 12-02-2012 at 06:49 AM.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    1,510
    Well, at least if the Mets continue to stink, it'll be good to see Wright a long-time (maybe even lifelong) Met.

    Infield star on a losing team--

    David Wright, the Ernie Banks of today (if more symbolically than statistically?)
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  12. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    That's great for Wright. He is obviously financially set for the rest of his life, and he will seemingly finish his career with his favorite team growing up. That is pretty awesome.

    All that aside I am concerned with one thing.......winning.

    As of today the Mets are not better than their 88 loss team of 2012. Yes their is time but .....well we all know the story
    Pretty much sums up my feelings too - plus it's nice to see the Mets actually keep one great player for his career.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Far NE Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,596
    Buster Olney mentioned that the Mets upped their offer to Dickey.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    David Wright, the Ernie Banks of today (if more symbolically than statistically?)
    I actually compared Wright to Ron Santo once.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    1,510
    ^That works too...if he clicks his heels together (and doesn't say "There's no place like home!") I guess we'll know. lol
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Far NE Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,596
    Mets not screwing around this offseason. Yesterday, they were asking about Xander Bogaerts from the BoSox and now reports are that they want Wil Myers from KC. Good luck with that.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Mets not screwing around this offseason. Yesterday, they were asking about Xander Bogaerts from the BoSox and now reports are that they want Wil Myers from KC. Good luck with that.
    Wil Myers is the type of player that can get an organization excited. Its amazing how some teams keep coming up with these great young players like the Royals and Tampa does.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,022
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    I just ordered playoff tickets.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    5,575

    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-angeles-dodgers-angels-take-different-tacks-in

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I just ordered playoff tickets.

    The Dodgers, sources say, have talked to the New York Mets about NL Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey, who is under contract for a club-friendly $5 million next season.

    Can someone please remind me how the Wilpons are going to compete with the LA Dodgers? Anyone? (or the Giants, or Cardinals, or Nats)

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    The Dodgers, sources say, have talked to the New York Mets about NL Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey, who is under contract for a club-friendly $5 million next season.

    Can someone please remind me how the Wilpons are going to compete with the LA Dodgers? Anyone? (or the Giants, or Cardinals, or Nats)
    We really are Kansas City now. We just develop talent for the big markets.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    570
    Not so much that as Aldy trying to plant his fingerprints all over this franchise... His signature on this franchise is much more important than expediently producing a winning product we can be proud of.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

    Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

  23. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    Not so much that as Aldy trying to plant his fingerprints all over this franchise... His signature on this franchise is much more important than expediently producing a winning product we can be proud of.
    Apparently so, if you want be succeed Selig. The owners love a small market franchise in the biggest market in the world. That will win him votes around that table.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    953
    Blog Entries
    2
    Myers is gone. Tampa matched up better with them. 2 good starters under control for a few years to KC and Tampa gets even more young talent. Lets see if any team gives up there farm for Dickey. These trades are turning into a chess match. Although it will take a year or so to see who wins these matches, I am more confident with the current front office and the 2012 financial climate then with Jeffy just throwing around Madoff money and Minaya and the shirtless one making trades. I do miss those press conferences though!!

  25. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Myers is gone. Tampa matched up better with them. 2 good starters under control for a few years to KC and Tampa gets even more young talent. Lets see if any team gives up there farm for Dickey. These trades are turning into a chess match. Although it will take a year or so to see who wins these matches, I am more confident with the current front office and the 2012 financial climate then with Jeffy just throwing around Madoff money and Minaya and the shirtless one making trades. I do miss those press conferences though!!
    Hmm. I have the opposite feeling about it. I see incompetence in action and no discernible plan at all. You signed a 140M-plus deal and then trade away your ace pitcher? Bizarre behavior. Sure it lacks the drama of the Minaya years.

    It also lacks the talent.

    And the win totals.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •