Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets 2012/2013 Off-Season Thread

Well, at least if the Mets continue to stink, it'll be good to see Wright a long-time (maybe even lifelong) Met.

Infield star on a losing team--

David Wright, the Ernie Banks of today (if more symbolically than statistically?)
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    That's great for Wright. He is obviously financially set for the rest of his life, and he will seemingly finish his career with his favorite team growing up. That is pretty awesome.

All that aside I am concerned with one thing.......winning.

As of today the Mets are not better than their 88 loss team of 2012. Yes their is time but .....well we all know the story
    Pretty much sums up my feelings too - plus it's nice to see the Mets actually keep one great player for his career.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Buster Olney mentioned that the Mets upped their offer to Dickey.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    David Wright, the Ernie Banks of today (if more symbolically than statistically?)
    I actually compared Wright to Ron Santo once.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

^That works too...if he clicks his heels together (and doesn't say "There's no place like home!") I guess we'll know. lol
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Mets not screwing around this offseason. Yesterday, they were asking about Xander Bogaerts from the BoSox and now reports are that they want Wil Myers from KC. Good luck with that.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Mets not screwing around this offseason. Yesterday, they were asking about Xander Bogaerts from the BoSox and now reports are that they want Wil Myers from KC. Good luck with that.
    Wil Myers is the type of player that can get an organization excited. Its amazing how some teams keep coming up with these great young players like the Royals and Tampa does.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    I just ordered playoff tickets.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-angeles-dodgers-angels-take-different-tacks-in

I just ordered playoff tickets.

The Dodgers, sources say, have talked to the New York Mets about NL Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey, who is under contract for a club-friendly $5 million next season.

Can someone please remind me how the Wilpons are going to compete with the LA Dodgers? Anyone? (or the Giants, or Cardinals, or Nats)

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    The Dodgers, sources say, have talked to the New York Mets about NL Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey, who is under contract for a club-friendly $5 million next season.

Can someone please remind me how the Wilpons are going to compete with the LA Dodgers? Anyone? (or the Giants, or Cardinals, or Nats)
    We really are Kansas City now. We just develop talent for the big markets.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Not so much that as Aldy trying to plant his fingerprints all over this franchise... His signature on this franchise is much more important than expediently producing a winning product we can be proud of.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    Not so much that as Aldy trying to plant his fingerprints all over this franchise... His signature on this franchise is much more important than expediently producing a winning product we can be proud of.
    Apparently so, if you want be succeed Selig. The owners love a small market franchise in the biggest market in the world. That will win him votes around that table.

Blog Entries
    Myers is gone. Tampa matched up better with them. 2 good starters under control for a few years to KC and Tampa gets even more young talent. Lets see if any team gives up there farm for Dickey. These trades are turning into a chess match. Although it will take a year or so to see who wins these matches, I am more confident with the current front office and the 2012 financial climate then with Jeffy just throwing around Madoff money and Minaya and the shirtless one making trades. I do miss those press conferences though!!

Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Myers is gone. Tampa matched up better with them. 2 good starters under control for a few years to KC and Tampa gets even more young talent. Lets see if any team gives up there farm for Dickey. These trades are turning into a chess match. Although it will take a year or so to see who wins these matches, I am more confident with the current front office and the 2012 financial climate then with Jeffy just throwing around Madoff money and Minaya and the shirtless one making trades. I do miss those press conferences though!!
    Hmm. I have the opposite feeling about it. I see incompetence in action and no discernible plan at all. You signed a 140M-plus deal and then trade away your ace pitcher? Bizarre behavior. Sure it lacks the drama of the Minaya years.

It also lacks the talent.

And the win totals.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Hmm. I have the opposite feeling about it. I see incompetence in action and no discernible plan at all. You signed a 140M-plus deal and then trade away your ace pitcher? Bizarre behavior. Sure it lacks the drama of the Minaya years.

It also lacks the talent.

And the win totals.
    It also lacks the payroll, and has inherited the financial restraints.

It also lacks the payroll, and has inherited the financial restraints.
    So they say, and I was convinced - then came the Wright deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    So they say, and I was convinced - then came the Wright deal.
    True, but what else? Wright keeps the laundry lovers buying tickets. They haven't made one improvement yet.

True, but what else? Wright keeps the laundry lovers buying tickets. They haven't made one improvement yet.
    How true. They are a team that lost 92 games in 2009; then 'improved' to 83 losses, then slipped to 85 losses, and then 88 losses. They are the only team on "the right track" as it is stated around here that loses more games 3 years in a row. They are also a franchise that finds it's AAA team being forced to relocate (not willingly relocated, but forced) and now they are in their 4th AAA city in about 7 years. I guess finishing last will do that . And their AA team is a mess, including the very shabby place they use.

When the Mets had a real minor leagues sending real prospects up to MLB, their AAA teams and AA teams were powerhouses. If the Mets have all of these great prospects (besides Wheeler and Harvey) why did Buffalo suck year after year? And why did Buffalo tell the Mets to get out and replaced them with Toronto?

If anyone watches the MLB channel, one night they talked about the Mets needing a catcher and 3 outfielders.....that is 50% of a starting lineup. 50%. And we don't even have to talk bullpen !

There are only a handful of them left around here, but the fans who try to convince themselves, and us, that the Mets are on the right track are the same people who would tell us that if the NHL wasn't on a lock out, the Islanders would be in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    How true. They are a team that lost 92 games in 2009; then 'improved' to 83 losses, then slipped to 85 losses, and then 88 losses. They are the only team on "the right track" as it is stated around here that loses more games 3 years in a row. They are also a franchise that finds it's AAA team being forced to relocate (not willingly relocated, but forced) and now they are in their 4th AAA city in about 7 years. I guess finishing last will do that . And their AA team is a mess, including the very shabby place they use.

When the Mets had a real minor leagues sending real prospects up to MLB, their AAA teams and AA teams were powerhouses. If the Mets have all of these great prospects (besides Wheeler and Harvey) why did Buffalo suck year after year? And why did Buffalo tell the Mets to get out and replaced them with Toronto?

If anyone watches the MLB channel, one night they talked about the Mets needing a catcher and 3 outfielders.....that is 50% of a starting lineup. 50%. And we don't even have to talk bullpen !

There are only a handful of them left around here, but the fans who try to convince themselves, and us, that the Mets are on the right track are the same people who would tell us that if the NHL wasn't on a lock out, the Islanders would be in first place.
    Hey haven't you read the blogs?

There's a "plan" in place and - for the first time ever! - the "discipline" to stick with it. These are very serious people.

We should easily clear 90 losses this year, if the plan is followed.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast