Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Mets 2012/2013 Off-Season Thread

Blog Entries
    Fun Fact: Our 2 highest paid outfielders in 2013 are Jason Bay and Bobby Bonilla
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

The Mets signed Justin Hampson to a minor league contract, which I think is a respectable, if minor, signing. He has performed well at all stops in the Mets organization.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Joey Votto, Jered Weaver and Tim Lincecum! 50 card rookie lot! Autos of Chad Huffman and Greg Reynolds! Tom Glavine insert!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    Fun Fact: Our 2 highest paid outfielders in 2013 are Jason Bay and Bobby Bonilla
    Its not that funny, but the jokes on us isnt it?
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Washington has signed ex-Met pitcher Chris Young to a minor league deal.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    The funny part is that Bobby Bo may also lead the OF in RBI's this year.

Former Mets scout Marcos Briceno passed away recently.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Joey Votto, Jered Weaver and Tim Lincecum! 50 card rookie lot! Autos of Chad Huffman and Greg Reynolds! Tom Glavine insert!

My website...
    My other website...

Despite hitting .308 in 26 at-bats this spring, Chone Figgins was released by the Los Angeles Angels. He has some outfield experience. Should the Mets pick him up to help shore up their lackluster outfield?

My website...
    My other website...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Despite hitting .308 in 26 at-bats this spring, Chone Figgins was released by the Los Angeles Angels. He has some outfield experience. Should the Mets pick him up to help shore up their lackluster outfield?
    Do you really want a guy who can't make it on Miami's talent-starved roster?
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Well Chose Figgins isn't going to shore up anything. It would just be another bottom of the barrel player.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Well Chose Figgins isn't going to shore up anything. It would just be another bottom of the barrel player.
    I don't know...he always seemed to be a good average-hitter and speedster when I tuned in to watch an Angels game...he must be better than someone we have...
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    I don't know...he always seemed to be a good average-hitter and speedster when I tuned in to watch an Angels game...he must be better than someone we have...
    Gee I don't know last 147 games have this line .185 .249 .253 .502. He is better than someone we have......Jay Horowitz.

ESPN reporting that LaTroy Hawkins has made the opening day roster.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to players who hit in bad parks. I was very high on Chase Headley even though his overall numbers weren't all that impressive - his road splits were much better than those at home leading into 2013. Same used to go for Beltre while he was in Seattle. His OPS was about 100 points higher on the road which wasn't a surprise that he's done so well since leaving Seattle.

But with Chone I don't see that. His home/road over the past three seasons aren't that much different. Often times these big parks suppress power, yet slap hitters can actually succeed because of the spacious outfield - such as Ichiro. If Chone comes at no cost and doesn't cause an equal-type player to be taken off the 25-man roster then maybe it's no risk. I doubt it makes much sense to do so at the expense of somebody with more upside though.

EDIT: Though I was high on Headley, I in now way expected him to come close to what he did last year - especially while still playing 50% of his games in Petco.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to players who hit in bad parks. I was very high on Chase Headley even though his overall numbers weren't all that impressive - his road splits were much better than those at home leading into 2013. Same used to go for Beltre while he was in Seattle. His OPS was about 100 points higher on the road which wasn't a surprise that he's done so well since leaving Seattle.

But with Chone I don't see that. His home/road over the past three seasons aren't that much different. Often times these big parks suppress power, yet slap hitters can actually succeed because of the spacious outfield - such as Ichiro. If Chone comes at no cost and doesn't cause an equal-type player to be taken off the 25-man roster then maybe it's no risk. I doubt it makes much sense to do so at the expense of somebody with more upside though.

EDIT: Though I was high on Headley, I in now way expected him to come close to what he did last year - especially while still playing 50% of his games in Petco.
    He was still an above-average hitter at PetCo in 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    He was still an above-average hitter at PetCo in 2013...
    Well, if he makes it at the cost of Cowgill, please send Cowgill to the Phillies and I'll be fine with it

Jeremy Hefner required x-rays today after taking a liner off his pitching elbow.

Update on Hefner: Jeremy Hefner was diagnosed with a contusion of the right elbow Tuesday after X-rays came back negative.

Brandon Hicks was outrighted to the minor leagues.

My website...
    My other website...

The Mets sent Elvin Ramirez to the Los Angeles Angels for cash considerations.

My website...
    My other website...

31-year-old career minor leaguer Scott Rice, who has never seen a day in the major leagues, earned a bullpen spot with the Mets which is pretty cool. It doesn't look like a particularly imposing bullpen though. Parnell, even though I'm not his biggest fan, is far and away the best pitcher there, with a bunch of people (Lyon, Hawkins, etc.) who each have the strong potential to blow up and post ERA of 6.

It's a very inexperienced bullpen, if it ends up being what projections say it will be, with Josh Edgin, Greg Burke, Jeurys Familia and Scott Rice having a combined total of 90 major league games between them.

My website...
    My other website...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314