Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    On Haren, is it just me, or is it CRAZY that the Angels didn't trade him? I mean, they could have taken any minor league scrub and saved $3.5 million. If they'd gotten ANYTHING good, they'd have gotten something good AND saved the money.
    What does that say about Haren though? They were reportedly close to a deal with the Cubs for Carlos Marmol. An average-ish owed nearly $10m next year! And it was the Cubs who allegedly shut the deal down. I can only infer from this that nobody wanted to trade for Haren. And the sole reason I can think of is that they either think that they can sign him to a better deal in FA or that he is damaged goods. If I had to guess, I'd say the latter.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Cody Ross apparently is looking for 3/25 while the Red Sox weren't willing to commit beyond 2 years (which is a good thing). Ross has had a good year for the Sox, more so among a lot of regulars having down years. But in judging Ross, I think Keith Law has a good assessment as to what player we really are looking at:
    Cody Ross, OF: He is not a center fielder, he has a .324 career OBP -- in fact, his .326 figure in 2012 was his career best in a full season -- and his power spike this year was largely a function of playing his home games in Fenway Park, a great place for right-handed hitters. He hit 74 percent of his doubles at home and 59 percent of his homers, posting a .232/.294/.390 line away from Fenway. On a one-year deal to serve as part of a platoon, yes, he has value. Anything more than that for a 32-year-old corner outfielder who doesn't get on base or make much contact is foolhardy.
    For whatever it's worth, Jim Bowden predicts 2/14. I think the Red Sox shouldn't be willing to go much higher than that. There are other options out there.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    dand..last week we coulld've given then Che-Hsuan Lin
    That's the thing...would something like that have gotten it done? Did no team offer ANYTHING? Or were the Angels more willing to eat the money and have Haren become a FA (maybe because they don't want him in Boston, or they're just nice guys and wanted to let him hit FA)? It just seems ODD to me.
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

According to Jon Heyman, the Red Sox have named Juan Nieves as their pitching coach. Nieves has been the bullpen coach for the White Sox since 2008 and before that has been a pitching coach in the White Sox system.

#redsox expected to name Juan Nieves their new pitching coach. story up soon on http://cbssports.com
    From his White Sox profile:
    Is in his fifth season as the White Sox bullpen coach ... spent the previous nine seasons as a pitching coach in the Sox Minor League system, most recently at Class AAA Charlotte (2005-07) ... was the World Team Pitching coach in the 2006 All-Star Future's Game ... spent the 2002-04 seasons as pitching coach at Class AA Birmingham ... was the pitching coach for the Southern League West Division All-Star team in 2002 ... served as the general manager/manager for Caguas in Puerto Rican Winter League in 1998-99 ... began his coaching career by working four seasons in the Yankees organization (1992-95).
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 11-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    Cody Ross apparently is looking for 3/25 while the Red Sox weren't willing to commit beyond 2 years (which is a good thing). Ross has had a good year for the Sox, more so among a lot of regulars having down years. But in judging Ross, I think Keith Law has a good assessment as to what player we really are looking at:

For whatever it's worth, Jim Bowden predicts 2/14. I think the Red Sox shouldn't be willing to go much higher than that. There are other options out there.
    Like Jason Bay. He could have been had for two years at the league minimum from the Mets. Now it's going to cost a little bit more than that I asume. And yes I think it could have been worth trying. I think Bay is a bigger talent than Ross and with the monster in his sight, he could have been a surprise player for 2013 and replacement of Cody Ross.

Via rotoworld:
    ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Diamonbacks will listen to offers on pitching prospect Trevor Bauer.
    Bauer sort of marches to the beat of his own drum, which has rubbed some in the Arizona front office the wrong way. But he's only 21 years old and was dominant in the Snakes' minor league system this summer. The D'Backs need to get something good in return if they trade him.
    Yes, I'm listening! What would the Dbacks possibly be interested in? Should we be scared that they are willing to trade him and thus stay away?

Quote Originally Posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    Like Jason Bay. He could have been had for two years at the league minimum from the Mets. Now it's going to cost a little bit more than that I asume. And yes I think it could have been worth trying. I think Bay is a bigger talent than Ross and with the monster in his sight, he could have been a surprise player for 2013 and replacement of Cody Ross.
    Mets cut Bay loose today....
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Mets cut Bay loose today....
    I'd take a low-cost, incentive-laden flyer on him.

Via rotoworld:
    Yes, I'm listening! What would the Dbacks possibly be interested in? Should we be scared that they are willing to trade him and thus stay away?
    The kid is one of the more fascinating, and highly regarded, pitching prospects in the game. Why the heck they'd trade him and what they'd demand in return are mind boggling.

The kid is one of the more fascinating, and highly regarded, pitching prospects in the game. Why the heck they'd trade him and what they'd demand in return are mind boggling.
    Reportedly because of his attitude. But I don't buy it. You don't trade one of the best pitching prospects in baseball because of his attitude. Probably just smoke.

Torii Hunter is apparently in high demand and looks for a Ortiz-like 2/26. At the price you say thanks, but no thanks. 2/26, yeah right?!

Justin Upton is on the block again. The D'backs reportedly looking for a young SS/3B. Boagerts isn't going anywhere! An I'd loathe to trade Cecchini. Think he will end up in Texas?

Blog Entries
    The Red Sox just let this guy away to the Brewers...ouch...

http://m.bbref.com/m?p=XXminorsXXpla...mste001mic&t=1

Not great, but they needed the 40-man roster spot...and the kid is 25 and never pitched above AA.

Not great, but they needed the 40-man roster spot...and the kid is 25 and never pitched above AA.
    I read that a couple of days ago. I really don't get that. I understand that he is 25 and all, but with those K-rates (and the velo he shows) you have to believe that he can turn into a useful bullpen piece. Then again, the Sox are not the first to let him go, so who knows.

I read that a couple of days ago. I really don't get that. I understand that he is 25 and all, but with those K-rates (and the velo he shows) you have to believe that he can turn into a useful bullpen piece. Then again, the Sox are not the first to let him go, so who knows.
    He apparently missed two consecutive seasons. IF it was due to injury, I wonder if the Sox feel it's something that's deteriorating or likely to be chronic.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

How did he end up on the 40-man roster? Was he claimed from another team at some point?

Looking at the 40-man, is there anyone you would have dumped ahead of him?

I like Ross, but I wouldn't go higher then 2/10, as you say there's other options.

I'd take a low-cost, incentive-laden flyer on him.
    Bay looks cooked to me, but I'd take a chance on on a low-cost or minor league contract.

Reportedly because of his attitude. But I don't buy it. You don't trade one of the best pitching prospects in baseball because of his attitude. Probably just smoke.

Torii Hunter is apparently in high demand and looks for a Ortiz-like 2/26. At the price you say thanks, but no thanks. 2/26, yeah right?!

Justin Upton is on the block again. The D'backs reportedly looking for a young SS/3B. Boagerts isn't going anywhere! An I'd loathe to trade Cecchini. Think he will end up in Texas?
    I agree with you about Hunter at the price he may want.

In regards to Upton and Bauer I read an article about the Diamondbacks potentially trading them or others. Kevin Towers said he always listens but that doesn't mean he'll trade them. It also sounds like they aren't interested in prospects but rather a MLB position player or starting pitcher.

One thing I found interesting was that some teams have asked about their catcher, Montero and 1st baseman Goldschmidt, I wonder of the Sox were asking?

Anyway here's some excerpts;

"I do not believe in saying, 'This guy is untouchable,' " Towers said. "In the right deal, you always need to be open-minded. Justin's name gets bandied about, but people here have asked me about (catcher) Miguel Montero and (first baseman) Paul Goldschmidt, too. They'd be tough guys for us to move, but I think I need to listen."
    Towers said the Diamondbacks would want a "legitimate everyday player" or a "legitimate top-end-of-the-rotation-type starter" in any deal involving Upton.
    Upton wasn't the only Arizona player to surface in trade speculation at the meetings. Sources said the Diamondbacks are also willing to listen on pitcher Trevor Bauer, the team's top pick in the 2011 draft.
    Bauer is coming off a strong minor league season, but sources said the Diamondbacks have developed questions about his makeup and coachability, and that he's fallen out of favor with some people in the organization.
    Towers told reporters that "I listen on everybody," but added that the Diamondbacks are hesitant to dip into their supply of young pitching after trading Jarrod Parker to Oakland last offseason.
    "We're not trying to move Trevor Bauer or shopping him at all," Towers said.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...s-justin-upton

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdaze View Post
    Bay looks cooked to me, but I'd take a chance on on a low-cost or minor league contract.
    Bay needs to stay healthy first. He can still mash lefties and fastballs but I'm not sure how he can handle righties or breaking stuff.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24424157
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Bay needs to stay healthy first. He can still mash lefties and fastballs but I'm not sure how he can handle righties or breaking stuff.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24424157
    Yup, health may have been his biggest issue with the Mets, so he may be worth a minor league contract, and who knows maybe he'll bounce back.

Apparently the Red Sox are talking to Russell Martin’s agent.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Red Sox were "seen meeting" on Russell Martin.Heyman thinks an addition of Martin by the Red Sox "might require more moves," which could mean perhaps dealing arbitration-eligible Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Yankees would like to retain Martin, but it appears they'll have to fight off Boston, Texas and perhaps others.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=381714&spln=1

I’m not real big on Martin and I don’t see him as an upgrade to what we already have. Not that it’s the end all and be all, but Martin ranked 88th on that catchers defense blog I posted up-thread where Salty ranked 78th. But if they did sign Martin, I suppose they could trade Salty or platoon him with Martin. I imagine they want to keep Lavarnway in AAA for a while longer since he doesn’t appear to be quite ready yet.

One potential FA catcher that might be worth signing as a low risk and potential high reward is Dioner Navarro. Since last playing full time with the Rays in 2009, he’s bounced around between the majors and minors but at 29 years old may be worth a look.

In 2012 based on the blog I previously posted for catchers defense, in a very small sample of MLB 24 games played, Navarro ranked 37th among all MLB catchers in defense, not great but not horrible, In 24 MLB games with the Reds he hit .290/.306/.449 and in 62 AAA games he hit .319/.382/.449

Yorvit Torrealba may be another option as a FA signing, he turns 35 in July ranked 8th in catchers defense and hit .227/.293/.330 in 2012, he could be a decent backup and or defensive replacement.

Mike Napoli could be an option and will be 31 in 2013, he ranked 60th in catchers defense but he’s been mostly about offense as a catcher. He can play some 1st base which would hold some value for us. Napoli hit .227/.343/.469 in 2012 including 24 HR’s. And in 19 career games at Fenway has hit .306/.397/.710

If Napoli was to play mostly at 1st I’d prefer someone with better offense, perhaps Laroche, or if were not going to be very competitive, try Gomez out and maybe platoon him with Sands who can also play OF.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdaze View Post
    Apparently the Red Sox are talking to Russell Martinís agent.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=381714&spln=1

Iím not real big on Martin and I donít see him as an upgrade to what we already have. Not that itís the end all and be all, but Martin ranked 88th on that catchers defense blog I posted up-thread where Salty ranked 78th. But if they did sign Martin, I suppose they could trade Salty or platoon him with Martin. I imagine they want to keep Lavarnway in AAA for a while longer since he doesnít appear to be quite ready yet.

One potential FA catcher that might be worth signing as a low risk and potential high reward is Dioner Navarro. Since last playing full time with the Rays in 2009, heís bounced around between the majors and minors but at 29 years old may be worth a look.

In 2012 based on the blog I previously posted for catchers defense, in a very small sample of MLB 24 games played, Navarro ranked 37th among all MLB catchers in defense, not great but not horrible, In 24 MLB games with the Reds he hit .290/.306/.449 and in 62 AAA games he hit .319/.382/.449

Yorvit Torrealba may be another option as a FA signing, he turns 35 in July ranked 8th in catchers defense and hit .227/.293/.330 in 2012, he could be a decent backup and or defensive replacement.

Mike Napoli could be an option and will be 31 in 2013, he ranked 60th in catchers defense but heís been mostly about offense as a catcher. He can play some 1st base which would hold some value for us. Napoli hit .227/.343/.469 in 2012 including 24 HRís. And in 19 career games at Fenway has hit .306/.397/.710

If Napoli was to play mostly at 1st Iíd prefer someone with better offense, perhaps Laroche, or if were not going to be very competitive, try Gomez out and maybe platoon him with Sands who can also play OF.
    Martin? No thanks.

Napoli, i would be all in. 3/30.

Hunter I would love to see alongside David Ortiz. 2/22 should do it.

Olmsted is a bummer. I cannot imagine, that he would be worse than Vicente Padilla. Olmsted is 6'6 and throws 97. He was injured for about three years and is completely dominating the minors. Since his comeback he has a whip under 1.000 and insane K-rates. Now we must hope, that the Red Sox did not make a mistake...

Lavarnway is done in the minors. Nothing to prove there. He should be at least a good backup and he is cheap. He belongs on the 40-man-roster.

Martin? No thanks.

Napoli, i would be all in. 3/30.

Hunter I would love to see alongside David Ortiz. 2/22 should do it.

Olmsted is a bummer. I cannot imagine, that he would be worse than Vicente Padilla. Olmsted is 6'6 and throws 97. He was injured for about three years and is completely dominating the minors. Since his comeback he has a whip under 1.000 and insane K-rates. Now we must hope, that the Red Sox did not make a mistake...

Lavarnway is done in the minors. Nothing to prove there. He should be at least a good backup and he is cheap. He belongs on the 40-man-roster.
    the Sox should go hard after Kuroda and Sanchez. Lester, Buch, Sanchez, Kuroda, Lackey, Duobront, Morales and some solid arms waiting in the minors. looks pretty stout to me

Blog Entries
    Is anybody concerned that John Henry is closing his investment firm because of serious financial reverses? Whereas not that many years ago it controlled over $2 billion, it is now down to perhaps less than $100 million.

I know that sounds like big money anyway, but I doubt it's enough to keep running the Red Sox and Liverpool for all that long. The latter team is having as poor a season as did the Sox this year.

Today's Wall Street Journal has some details of this situation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    Is anybody concerned that John Henry is closing his investment firm because of serious financial reverses? Whereas not that many years ago it controlled over $2 billion, it is now down to perhaps less than $100 million.

I know that sounds like big money anyway, but I doubt it's enough to keep running the Red Sox and Liverpool for all that long. The latter team is having as poor a season as did the Sox this year.

Today's Wall Street Journal has some details of this situation.
    Well, if thats true, we are in trouble...

Liverpool is not investing in anything and they are a shadow of the good old days. I always thought, that the Gonzo-trade was to rebuild. But if it is to save his money, the near Red Sox future does not look good.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast