Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Red Sox offseason thread

the Marlins are a disgrace...MLB needs to disband them or something. Juan Carlos Stanton might be next to go, what say you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdaze View Post
    I don't agree. I'm not big on Ciriaco but think he's slightly better all around then Iglesias at this time. We know Ciriaco hits much better then Iggy, can steal some bases and plays decent defense in several positions which imo makes him slightly better.

To me both players are role players. Iglesias has a great glove but thats about it. However I do think Iglesias has much more potential being as young as he is and should improve offensively, but to me at this time I see Iggy as nothing more then a defensive replacement, a Pokey Reese type, actually his hitting is insulting to Pokey.

But having said that, I'll enjoy Iggy's defense and believe he'll save us a lot of runs compared to most any other SS which does have a lot of value, perhaps more value then Ciriacos offense and all around play, but well see. And I'll root hard for Iglesias to succeed, but honestly I'm cynical that he'll hit much above the Mendoza line and without many extra base hits, though I really hope I'm wrong.
    Totally agree. Iglesias needs time to develop his bat. Period. Show him where A-Rod buys his pills and fill him up :-)

I think Napoli would be a massive force at Fenway. But so would a lot of right-handed pull hitters, like Johnny Gomes.

I would welcome the idea to platoon Gomez and Jerry Sands. I can imagine, that this duo would be productive. But you only can have so many of platoons in your lineup...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    the Marlins are a disgrace...MLB needs to disband them or something. Juan Carlos Stanton might be next to go, what say you?
    Stanton earns 480'000 $ in 2013. Thats just about low enough to not trade him for Miami...

Blog Entries
    With Torii Hunter signing a 2/26-contract with the Tigers, I'm not very optimistic that Cody Ross will accept a 2/14 deal. For anything more than that the Red Sox should walk away.

Sign Johnny Gomes for 1/5 and we will be fine, thanks to the monster.

Blog Entries
    Apparently Logan Morrison is available. If so, the Red Sox should do everything to get him. He has a ton of potential and is a threat to post OBP's north of .350.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    With Torii Hunter signing a 2/26-contract with the Tigers, I'm not very optimistic that Cody Ross will accept a 2/14 deal. For anything more than that the Red Sox should walk away.

Sign Johnny Gomes for 1/5 and we will be fine, thanks to the monster.
    Suggested Gomes before, but I doubt that he can be had on a 1/5 deal. He had a big season, and I think there is enough interest in his services for him to get at least a 2 year deal.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Sox serious about Hamilton??? I am conflicted...he is a real talented player who instantly makes the Sox a much better team. I am a little concerned with the injuries though. I am a lot concerned about his drug and drinking problem. If i am a person that has a drinking problem, the last place on earth i should be is Boston Mass, ya know? I hope the Sox really think before they pull the trigger on this guy.

Sox serious about Hamilton??? I am conflicted...he is a real talented player who instantly makes the Sox a much better team. I am a little concerned with the injuries though. I am a lot concerned about his drug and drinking problem. If i am a person that has a drinking problem, the last place on earth i should be is Boston Mass, ya know? I hope the Sox really think before they pull the trigger on this guy.
    I highly doubt it. It makes no sense at all. But I guess most of the baseball writers think of the Red Sox as big spenders in need of a OFer. The Red Sox couldn't have been more clear (in word and deed) on their intentions to go back to a strategy that is based on player development and avoiding (bad) long term contracts. Hamilton represents the opposite of such a strategy.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Can the Red Sox get Giancarlo Stanton?

I bet he can do well at Fenway Park.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Can the Red Sox get Giancarlo Stanton?

I bet he can do well at Fenway Park.
    He would be an awesome guy to pick up. Be a cheap outfielder until hes arbitration eligible in a couple years. And recent events with the Marlins, plus what Giancarlo Stanton had to say about those events, it might not take a real whole lot to get him.

My opinion on Josh Hamilton: thanks, but no thanks. Big time player when hes on, big time drama when hes not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    He would be an awesome guy to pick up. Be a cheap outfielder until hes arbitration eligible in a couple years. And recent events with the Marlins, plus what Giancarlo Stanton had to say about those events, it might not take a real whole lot to get him.
    I bet a team can get players from the Marlins for a carton of smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    I bet a team can get players from the Marlins for a carton of smokes.
    Haha. Yeah thats basically what I said in a Current Events thread about them. Except I used "wet dollar bills" for their players.

I think the Sox will announce one or two deals very soon. Just a hunch.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

With Torii Hunter and Melky Cabrera off the market and the Sox reportedly smart enough to not go after Hamilton, an interesting target could be Angel Pagan. I initially thought of him as a replacement for Ellsbury should they trade him, but it seems the Sox are inclined to keep him till at least the deadline. But Fenway's RF is almost like a CF and so I could definitely see Pagan in RF. He played 90 games in RF between 2006 and 2010, not a lot, but there is no reason to believe he couldn't be an excellent RFer. If the Sox announce one or two deals soon, as Tony believes, I wouldn't mind Pagan on a fair contract being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    With Torii Hunter and Melky Cabrera off the market and the Sox reportedly smart enough to not go after Hamilton, an interesting target could be Angel Pagan. I initially thought of him as a replacement for Ellsbury should they trade him, but it seems the Sox are inclined to keep him till at least the deadline. But Fenway's RF is almost like a CF and so I could definitely see Pagan in RF. He played 90 games in RF between 2006 and 2010, not a lot, but there is no reason to believe he couldn't be an excellent RFer. If the Sox announce one or two deals soon, as Tony believes, I wouldn't mind Pagan on a fair contract being one of them.
    I never thought of signing Pagan to play right field, but I really like this idea, hopefully the Sox sign him.

I never thought of signing Pagan to play right field, but I really like this idea, hopefully the Sox sign him.
    There are a number of teams looking for a CF and those might be willing to pay more, or Pagan may have a preference to play CF. But if the Sox trade Ells at the deadline (which seems to be a given), Pagan could then take over in CF(leaving a bit of a hole in RF, since I don't see anyone in the org ready to just take over RF). He is looking for a 3 year deal, which would beg the question of whether he may eventually block JBJ. But if so, it's probably not too difficult to find a solution to that problem (move either one to RF or trade).

An OF of Pagan, Ellsbury, and some combo of Kalish/Sands/Nava with maybe a late offseaon bargain signing seems intriguing and with an appropriate 1B should make for a competitive team non-pitching-wise.

Totally agree. Iglesias needs time to develop his bat. Period. Show him where A-Rod buys his pills and fill him up :-)
    LOL

I think Napoli would be a massive force at Fenway. But so would a lot of right-handed pull hitters, like Johnny Gomes.
    I think Gomes could be a good pickup who may do well playing in Fenway. And I agree that Napoli would hit very well.

I would welcome the idea to platoon Gomez and Jerry Sands. I can imagine, that this duo would be productive. But you only can have so many of platoons in your lineup...
    I'd give it a shot if were not going to be very competitive since we'd be no worse off if Gomez fails to produce, but I do think Gomez could be a decent hitter and a platoon with Sands might work out fairly well.

With the moves the Blue Jays made making them a much more competitive team to go along with the other AL East teams, I'm not too optomistic well make the playoffs in 2013. Though I've heard Cherrington say they plan to compete and plan to have a higher payroll, so I guess well see what move he makes.

There are a number of teams looking for a CF and those might be willing to pay more, or Pagan may have a preference to play CF. But if the Sox trade Ells at the deadline (which seems to be a given), Pagan could then take over in CF(leaving a bit of a hole in RF, since I don't see anyone in the org ready to just take over RF). He is looking for a 3 year deal, which would beg the question of whether he may eventually block JBJ. But if so, it's probably not too difficult to find a solution to that problem (move either one to RF or trade).

An OF of Pagan, Ellsbury, and some combo of Kalish/Sands/Nava with maybe a late offseaon bargain signing seems intriguing and with an appropriate 1B should make for a competitive team non-pitching-wise.
    Good points. I'm guessing the Sox will wait till the deadline to trade Ellsbury, but I think it's still possible he gets traded before ST. I think it's possible they're waiting till all the FA OF's are signed and see what they have for potential trading partners in need of a CF. But yeah I imagine Ells will be our starting CF.

And you do bring up a good point that Pagan may prefer CF, though could be promised to take over when Ells is gone perhaps mid season and maybe Kalish will be ready to take over RF mid season. But if Pagan was signed and does get 3 or more years yeah it could block Bradley but perhaos he gets moved to LF or maybe someone gets traded.

As for 1st base, if they plan to compete, I'd sign Napoli or maybe LaRoche, if not I'd try Gomez with perhaps some platooning with Sands.

maybe a semi blockbuster with the Rockies? Cargo and Tulo would look really good in a Sox uniform.

I liked Pagan's 2010 breakout season. He played all three outfield positions and had a 5 WAR season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11024385
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11436877
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10205231

Happy Birthday David Ortiz. You could be 30 yrs old or 90 yrs old...we will say something in between.

Pawtucket coach Arnie Beyeler has been promoted to Red Sox 1B coach. Develop from within, right? No one more deserving.

Also scratch Kuroda off your wishlist. Not that he was on mine after he received a qualifying offer. Signed with the mfys for 1/15.
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 11-20-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Pawtucket coach Arnie Beyeler has been promoted to Red Sox 1B coach. Develop from within, right? No one more deserving.

Also scratch Kuroda off your wishlist. Not that he was on mine after he received a qualifying offer. Signed with the mfys for 1/15.
    great news about Beyeler. Hard working guy who the players really respect.

Apparently the Red Sox are close to a 2 year deal with Gomes (they are reported to be close to a deal with Gomes). I like Gomes as a low cost option (but we'll have to see what the contract is). Gomes is a career .244 .334 .455 hitter who had a career year last year buoyed by a .348 BABIP. He also hit .273 .409 .578 on the road (.333 BABIP). On the downside, he is a terrible OFer according to advanced metrics (though fielding metrics are really everything but advanced). So I assume/hope they would sign him for LF (with Nava and/or Kalish getting some/most of the ABs against RHPs).

Now signing both Ross and Gomes makes little sense to me, as both are essentially exceptional halves of a platoon. But unfortunately they are the same halves, the one against LHPs. So I would assume Gomes means no Ross and the other way around.

Sox apparently also looking into Swisher. I like Swisher, but he will most likely be overpayed (both in terms of money and years). So I think I'd like them to stay away from him (even if he could play some 1B). I'd really rather have them get Napoli on a short (1 to 3) contract or trade for a young 1B under control (Adams, Davis, Rizzo...). Sign Pagan for RF. Get creative to solve the rotation. Use Salty plus some of the LHRP in the trade market.
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 11-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    great news about Beyeler. Hard working guy who the players really respect.
    Johnny Gomes is here. Ross is here. Somebody of the Red Sox FO must have been reading this messages...

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast