Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    About a week ago. I imagine the longer this goes, the less likely it gets done.
    Sands better look good pretty fast.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

what problems are they having with napoli? i really haven't kept up with it.

go sox!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    About a week ago. I imagine the longer this goes, the less likely it gets done.
    I think it will happen nonetheless. But maybe it's a sign from the baseball gods to trade for Anthony Rizzo or Matt Adams.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    Interesting none the less. Surprised the Yankees come out on top so clearly. We'll see how their ageing team holds up.
    So clearly? That's a virtual 5-way tie

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    So clearly? That's a virtual 5-way tie
    They have a 6 WAR lead over us according to your calculations. I wouldn't necessarily consider that a tie. But I guess we'll have a better picture once rosters are more or less set and projections are updated.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Hanrahan for Iggy? what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post

We already have a closer and the bullpen is getting crowded as it is.

I think it will happen nonetheless. But maybe it's a sign from the baseball gods to trade for Anthony Rizzo or Matt Adams.
    I asked that quite a few times but: who do you give up for them?

The cards certainly could use an adams trade as he is pretty much blocked there but most red sox prospects are either far away from the majors or have issues like injuries and other trouble. I can't see them trade adams or rizzo for a guy with issues (like pretty much all sox pitching prospects) or guy far away from the majors (like bogaerts).

so who do you offer? you could of course trade ellsbury for one of those but then you likely would also need to eat a lot of salary as those guys are pretty cheap.

especially with rizzo this is an issue as the cubs are now trying to dump as much salary as possible so that they can spent in a few years when their prospects are ready. epstein is not trying to win anyway in 2013 so he likely isn't intrested in trading rizzo for a guy ten times as expensive.

with rizzo I see no chance at all but for adams you could probably do something. the cards have need at 2B and starting pitching so if you have something there you might get a deal done.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I asked that quite a few times but: who do you give up for them?

The cards certainly could use an adams trade as he is pretty much blocked there but most red sox prospects are either far away from the majors or have issues like injuries and other trouble. I can't see them trade adams or rizzo for a guy with issues (like pretty much all sox pitching prospects) or guy far away from the majors (like bogaerts).

so who do you offer? you could of course trade ellsbury for one of those but then you likely would also need to eat a lot of salary as those guys are pretty cheap.

especially with rizzo this is an issue as the cubs are now trying to dump as much salary as possible so that they can spent in a few years when their prospects are ready. epstein is not trying to win anyway in 2013 so he likely isn't intrested in trading rizzo for a guy ten times as expensive.

with rizzo I see no chance at all but for adams you could probably do something. the cards have need at 2B and starting pitching so if you have something there you might get a deal done.
    ???
    The Cards have Kolten Wong coming up, so likely aren't interested in a second baseman. He should be the starter next season, and perhaps this season.
    The Cards are also flush with young MLB ready starters
    Lance Lynn
    Shelby Miller
    Trevor Rosenthal

I’d trade Iglesias for Hanrahan.

In 2012 Hanrahans stats were; ERA 2.72 WHIP 1.274 SO/BB 1.86 FIP 4.45 xFIP 4.28

Though Iglesias has an awsome glove, he hasn’t shown he can hit, and it’s possible he may never hit well at the MLB level. With the signing of Drew to play SS this year and Bogaerts possibly ready in a year, Iggy may not fit into our long term plans at SS.

With Bailey’s injury history and the fact he did not pitch so well when he was healthy, Hanrahan appears to be a better option as our closer for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdaze View Post
    Yuuuuuuuuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdaze View Post
    I’d trade Iglesias for Hanrahan.

Though Iglesias has an awsome glove, he hasn’t shown he can hit, and it’s possible he may never hit well at the MLB level. With the signing of Drew to play SS this year and Bogaerts possibly ready in a year, Iggy may not fit into our long term plans at SS.

With Bailey’s injury history and the fact he did not pitch so well when he was healthy, Hanrahan appears to be a better option as our closer for 2013.
    I do not understand why the Red Sox are interested in acquiring Hanrahan.

Looks like (via twitter) the deal is about to happen.

Jerry Sands looks to be the player going back

Mariano Rivera he’s not, and I’m not suggesting he’s a great closer, but he does appear decent and possibly a better option then what Andrew Bailey gave us last year. Then again Melancon looked to be decent and was a failure so who knows. But with Bailey’s apparent health issues Hanrahan might be a good pickup. So I would trade him for Iglesias since Iggy may not have much of a future with the Sox.

Bailey’s stats for 2012 were ERA 7.04 WHIP 1.891 SO/BB 1.75 FIP 4.53 xFIP 5.04

I just read that Iglesias isn’t apparently part of the deal, so depending on who they give up for Hanrahan, if this trade goes through, I may not like the deal!

And having said all that it’s also possible they stick with Bailey as the closer since he may bounce back and pitch much better if healthy, then have Hanrahan as just another reliever in the pen but available to close if Bailey goes down with an injury. It’s also possible they plan to trade someone from the pen if Hanrahan is acquired.

Come on! Let us have a First baseman!!!!!!

twitter also says 4 players going to Pitt and 2 to the Sox. So far i have heard Sands and Stolmey Pimentel. I say WTF?

twitter also says 4 players going to Pitt and 2 to the Sox. So far i have heard Sands and Stolmey Pimentel. I say WTF?
    Doesn't seem to be a good deal for the Red Sox

Depends on the last few players, of course. But Sands and Pimentel seems like too much for Hanrahan

So Cody Ross signed a 3/$26M deal with the DBacks. Why can't we get players like that?

so, let me wrap my @#$* brain around this for a minute..we get Shane @#$* Victorino of 3/$39 and we let Cody Ross go for 3/$26??? What the heck is wrong with this picture? We have the stupidest front office in baseball and have become the laughing stock of the league.

so much for all the cap room we had when we shed salary last year. We are right back where we were with a bunch of scrubs and no improvement to the starting rotation. Absolute morons

so, let me wrap my @#$* brain around this for a minute..we get Shane @#$* Victorino of 3/$39 and we let Cody Ross go for 3/$26??? What the heck is wrong with this picture?

We have the stupidest front office in baseball and have become the laughing stock of the league.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...yers=1760,1677
    Total WAR last 3 seasons:
    Ross - 5.7
    Victorino - 13

Batting lines last 3 seasons
    Ross - .324/.434 (OBP/SLG), 4% better than league average
    Victorino .334/.432 9% better than league average

Bill James' Projections for 2013
    Ross - .321/..444 = .328 wOBA
    Victorino - .338/.418 = .327 wOBA

Equal offensive players.
    Victorino should provide much more value on defense (+26 runs last 3 seasons)and on the bases (+17 runs the last 3 seasons). He's the better player.

Why do you disagree?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...yers=1760,1677
    Ross - 5.7
    Victorino - 13

Batting lines last 3 seasons
    Ross - .324/.434 (OBP/SLG), 4% better than league average
    Victorino .334/.432 9% better than league average

Bill James' Projections for 2013
    Ross - .321/..444 = .328 wOBA
    Victorino - .338/.418 = .327 wOBA

Equal offensive players.
    Victorino should provide much more value on defense (+26 runs last 3 seasons)and on the bases (+17 runs the last 3 seasons). He's the better player.

Why do you disagree?
    Well, there's the operative word. Past results don't dictate future outcomes. The only thing that's certain is that the Red Sox could have saved themselves $13M over the next three years by signing Cody Ross who, according to the stats you provided, is a comparable player.

Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    according to the stats you provided, is a comparable player.
    What stats did you look at?
    Ross - 5.7
    Victorino - 13

Victorino is pretty clearly the better player. By a large margin.

the Red Sox could have saved themselves $13M over the next three years by signing Cody Ross
    They could have saved $34.5 million by signing me, but ...

What stats did you look at?

Victorino is pretty clearly the better player. By a large margin.
    ok we'll see

ok we'll see
    If you're sure now, what's your reason for being sure?

What of what I posted do you disagree with?

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast