Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    Unless Aceves gets traded, I imagine that unless he looks lights out in ST, Bard starts in AAA to keep the pressure off and see if he can reclaim his form.

If Bard looks good and Aceves is still around, I can see a trade happen unless other injuries strike during ST.
    I expect Bard to start the season in Pawtucket no matter what. Even if he looks good in ST, they need to make sure he can repeat his delivery over a longer stretch than ST. Also, Bard (if "lightsout") and Aceves really don't have the same role in the pen. Barring injuries (they always happen, don't they) if the season started right now, I'd think the pen would be:

Hanrahan (CL)
    Bailey (8th)
    Uehara (7th)
    Tazawa (6th/7th/8th)
    Breslow (6th/7th/8th/LH)
    Miller (LH)
    Morales (swingman)
    Aceves (swingman)

With Mortensen the odd man out (has he options left?) and Bard at AAA.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    looks like the sox are going after LaRoche now. I would love that even though it would cost us our second round pick in the draft. I think LaRoche is a better player all around. I wonder if they are actually considering LaRoche, or are they trying to get Napoli to sign a lesser deal?
    I think it's just negotiation tactics. Obviously the Sox want some protection relating to his hip. Much as they had it in the past with many players (including e.g. JD Drew or John Lackey). So they are trying to renegotiate the deal they had originally agreed on. I expect Napoli to sign soon.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Having had to trade for Hanrahan, wouldn't Sox fans think that the Bailey for Reddick deal was a terrible trade in hindsight? Should be interesting to see if Hanrahan can withstand the bright lights of Boston compared to the relative obscurity of being the closer for the Pirates...

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    Having had to trade for Hanrahan, wouldn't Sox fans think that the Bailey for Reddick deal was a terrible trade in hindsight? Should be interesting to see if Hanrahan can withstand the bright lights of Boston compared to the relative obscurity of being the closer for the Pirates...

While Bailey was on the DL and Reddick was having a breakout season in Oakland last season, I thought the deal was horsespit. The fact that we've traded fir Hanrahan casts some doubts on Bailey. Bailey may be moved to the set-up role.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

looks like the sox are going after LaRoche now. I would love that even though it would cost us our second round pick in the draft. I think LaRoche is a better player all around. I wonder if they are actually considering LaRoche, or are they trying to get Napoli to sign a lesser deal?
    Well we HAD LaRoche briefly in 2009.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Well we HAD LaRoche briefly in 2009.....
    We need Napoli. LaRoche is not a fit, for different reasons.
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    We need Napoli. LaRoche is not a fit, for different reasons.
    Those reasons being...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Those reasons being...
    Age and pushing for three years, draft pick compensation, lefthanded, one position only.

Thought this was obvious.
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    Age and pushing for three years, draft pick compensation, lefthanded, one position only.

Thought this was obvious.
    Lots of things seem obvious, but hardly anyone knows them. Better to be safe.

Blog Entries
    Sox watched Bobby Abreu take grouders at 1b today...the off season gets stranger and stranger each day. Maybe he can come off the bench...

i wonder if the Sox will offer him 3/$39 lol

Sox watched Bobby Abreu take grouders at 1b today...the off season gets stranger and stranger each day.
    My first thought on hearing they worked out Abreu at 1st was that it was nuts. Abreu will be 39 in March and doesn’t appear to have much left, plus he’s never played 1st base.

This could just be a negotiation tactic to get Napoli to sign, but it could also be that the Red Sox are concerned about Napoli’s health. If Napoli’s hip (the assumed health issue) is bad and he has stretch to dig out throws from Middlebrooks and Drew, it could put a strain on the hip causing further health issues, as would squatting in the catchers position.

Though he didn’t hit for much power, looking at Abreu’s 2012 stats, he did have a pretty good OBP at .350 which would rank 6th amongst all MLB 1st basemen in 2012, however he accomplished this in only 257 PA’s which doesn’t really qualify.

So if the Sox FO really isn’t willing to give up a draft pick and the slot money that goes with it for LaRoche, perhaps looking at Abreu to play 1st could be outside the box thinking out of concern for Napoli’s health.

They could platoon Abreu who had an OBP of .353 against RHP with Gomez. And if Bill James projection for Gomez in 2013 is close to accurate where he projects BA .280 OBP .335 SLG .469 WOBA .348 maybe it has a chance to work. But I definitely wouldn’t be too thrilled about an Abreu/Gomez platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdaze View Post
    My first thought on hearing they worked out Abreu at 1st was that it was nuts. Abreu will be 39 in March and doesn’t appear to have much left, plus he’s never played 1st base.

This could just be a negotiation tactic to get Napoli to sign, but it could also be that the Red Sox are concerned about Napoli’s health. If Napoli’s hip (the assumed health issue) is bad and he has stretch to dig out throws from Middlebrooks and Drew, it could put a strain on the hip causing further health issues, as would squatting in the catchers position.

Though he didn’t hit for much power, looking at Abreu’s 2012 stats, he did have a pretty good OBP at .350 which would rank 6th amongst all MLB 1st basemen in 2012, however he accomplished this in only 257 PA’s which doesn’t really qualify.

So if the Sox FO really isn’t willing to give up a draft pick and the slot money that goes with it for LaRoche, perhaps looking at Abreu to play 1st could be outside the box thinking out of concern for Napoli’s health.

They could platoon Abreu who had an OBP of .353 against RHP with Gomez. And if Bill James projection for Gomez in 2013 is close to accurate where he projects BA .280 OBP .335 SLG .469 WOBA .348 maybe it has a chance to work. But I definitely wouldn’t be too thrilled about an Abreu/Gomez platoon.
    I think people read way too much into this Bobby Abreu thing. Currently Mauro Gomez is the only 1B above AA under contract. Abreu could provide some depth. That's all.
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 01-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    I think people read way too much into this Bobby Abreu thing. Currently Mauro Gomez is the only 1B above AA under contract. Abreu could provide some depth. That's all.
    he has never played 1b in his life as far as i know. Maybe they just happened to be in town and took a look at him...I dont think he adds anything to this sox team. I assume that Napoli will sign for 2 years. I also think they need a back up to Napoli especially if he has a bad hip.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    I don't see how Hanrahan is definitively better than Melancon.
    Bill James projections for 2013:
    Hanrahan: 57 IP, 9.16 K/9, 4.11 BB/9, 3.63 ERA, 3.61 FIP
    Melancon: 57 IP, 8.53 K/9, 2.68 BB/9, 3.47 ERA, 3.33 FIP

Holt looks ok.
    As I follow the Dodgers closely, I'm familiar with DeJesus and Sands. Neither are likely MLB starters but DeJesus can hit some (a leg injury wrecked his defense and speed) and Sands could be 4th/5th OFer.
    Melancon's 2012 projected stats:

3-5, 75 IP, 31 BB, 71 SO, 3.84 ERA, 13 saves

Blog Entries
    someone wake me when ST starts.

someone wake me when ST starts.
    This.

You know the offseason is going slow when you read about Javier Vazquez hitting 93 on a a skewed radar gun at some field in puerto rico...

Blog Entries
    looks like the Sox are offering a 1 year deal to Napoli??? time to move on boys

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...d_sox_num.html

Jose Iglesias: 10 (was 58)
    Will Middlebrooks: 16 (was 64)
    Ryan Lavarnway 20 (was 60)
    Pedro Ciriaco: 23 (was 77)
    Daniel Nava: 29 (was 66)
    Felix Doubront 35 (was 61)
    Junichi Tazawa: 36 (was 63)

As for the new veteran players:

David Ross: 3 (formerly Mike Aviles)
    Jonny Gomes: 5 (formerly Nick Punto)
    Stephen Drew: 7 (formerly Cody Ross)
    Shane Victorino: 18 (formerly Daisuke Matsuzaka)
    Koji Uehara: 19 (formerly Josh Beckett)
    Brock Holt: 26 (formerly Scott Podsednik)
    Ryan Dempster: 46 (formerly Franklin Morales, now 56)
    Joel Hanrahan: 52

Dempster has worn 46 for much of his career. Bet there's a story behind that. Hanrahan had 52 with the Pirates.

(No, 26 is not retired by the Red Sox. That seems like a crime.)

New manager John Farrell has 53. Here are his coaches:

Brian Butterfield: 13
    Torey Lovullo: 22
    Greg Colbrunn: 28
    Arnie Beyeler: 43
    Juan Nieves: 47
    Gary Tuck: 57
    Victor Rodriguez: 58

Colbrunn had 28 for much of the time he played in the majors. Adrian Gonzalez had it last year. Lovullo never had 22 in the majors.
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...d_sox_num.html

Jose Iglesias: 10 (was 58)
    Will Middlebrooks: 16 (was 64)
    Ryan Lavarnway 20 (was 60)
    Pedro Ciriaco: 23 (was 77)
    Daniel Nava: 29 (was 66)
    Felix Doubront 35 (was 61)
    Junichi Tazawa: 36 (was 63)

As for the new veteran players:

David Ross: 3 (formerly Mike Aviles)
    Jonny Gomes: 5 (formerly Nick Punto)
    Stephen Drew: 7 (formerly Cody Ross)
    Shane Victorino: 18 (formerly Daisuke Matsuzaka)
    Koji Uehara: 19 (formerly Josh Beckett)
    Brock Holt: 26 (formerly Scott Podsednik)
    Ryan Dempster: 46 (formerly Franklin Morales, now 56)
    Joel Hanrahan: 52

Dempster has worn 46 for much of his career. Bet there's a story behind that. Hanrahan had 52 with the Pirates.

(No, 26 is not retired by the Red Sox. That seems like a crime.)

New manager John Farrell has 53. Here are his coaches:

Brian Butterfield: 13
    Torey Lovullo: 22
    Greg Colbrunn: 28
    Arnie Beyeler: 43
    Juan Nieves: 47
    Gary Tuck: 57
    Victor Rodriguez: 58

Colbrunn had 28 for much of the time he played in the majors. Adrian Gonzalez had it last year. Lovullo never had 22 in the majors.

The instant Boggs went to NY, he lost the right to have #26 retired as far as I am concerned. Good for the Sox for not retiring it. If he had gone to the Rays at the end of his career from us, then I would say retire #26. Also. give out #21. To hell with Clemens. If #21 is retired, I'd consider it a tribute to Ray Culp who never complained and who never threw his teammates under a bus.

If anything, the Sox need to retire #3 for Jimmie Foxx, #7 for Dom DiMaggio and #43 for the Eck. He pitched 5 1/2 seasons for us and was technically employed by the Sawx when he was elected to the HOF (as was Fisk when he was elected). If Nomar ever gets in the HOF, #5 goes up in RF as well. He technically retired as a member of the Sox (1 day contract)

Above all, retire #25 for Tony C!
    Last edited by SDL; 01-12-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    I think the biggest news about the Red Sox is the new book by Terry Francona and Dan Shaughnessy. The owners are characterized as men who like, but don't love, baseball and it was evidently their doing that involved not re-signing Beltre and Victor Gonzales and forcing the signing of Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford. They wanted a more "exciting" ballclub because they thought that would improve their TV ratings(!)

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast