X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therwil Flyer
    #firedavedombrowski
    • Oct 2010

I know we were all aware of this to some extent, but I was checking something on fangraphs and noticed this again:
    In the first half of last season (2012) the Red Sox offense was 7th in OBP and 4th in SLG (6th in wRC+).
    In the second half of last season (2012) the Sox offense was 28th in OBP and 21st in SLG (28th in wRC+).
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Dude Paskert
      The Grand Poobah of Sweat
      • Mar 2012

Is there any buzz about Aaron Kurcz?
      Fairly young guy at AA who struck out guys at a pretty amazing rate in 50 IP, but also walked way too many. I'd guess he must have come over for Theo.
      He's not real big, wonder if he has good heat or some kind of wicked breaking ball or ???
      "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
        #firedavedombrowski
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
        Fairly young guy at AA who struck out guys at a pretty amazing rate in 50 IP, but also walked way too many. I'd guess he must have come over for Theo.
        He's not real big, wonder if he has good heat or some kind of wicked breaking ball or ???
        Here's the scouting report from soxprospects:
        Right-handed reliever, with small frame and lean build. Loose thrower. 3/4 arm slot. Balanced delivery with easy landing. Fastball sits 92-93 mph and can top out at 95 mph. Average command. Tends to work in the upper tier of strike zone too much. Capable of generating swings-and-misses with fastball. 75-80 mph 3/4 breaking ball. Has curveball look in lower reaches of velocity and slider look in upper reaches. More of a slurve. Average offering. Potential to tighten up to create more consistent power and depth. Also mixes in a developing 82-85 mph changeup. Shows arm-side fade. Tends to float too much presently. Solid-average potential. Coverted to a reliever in 2011. Strong makeup for age. 6th/7th inning reliever potential.
        Not sure what he uses as his out pitch though.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• raysnbran
          Clubhouse Lawyer
          • Jan 2005

Carl Crawford resurfaces in the media, calls his stay in Boston as "toxic"...now he's in another huge media market, though the laid back LA fans are certainly not as rabid as in Boston...we in Tampa Bay knew about his sensitivity to any kind of criticism and wondered how he would survive being a big fish in a big pond, and you all saw the result. Last time I will mention his name here on your team page, I promise

Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• SDL
            Who the hell is Stan Papi
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by raysnbran View Post
            Carl Crawford resurfaces in the media, calls his stay in Boston as "toxic"...now he's in another huge media market, though the laid back LA fans are certainly not as rabid as in Boston...we in Tampa Bay knew about his sensitivity to any kind of criticism and wondered how he would survive being a big fish in a big pond, and you all saw the result. Last time I will mention his name here on your team page, I promise

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...,7047934.story

What gets me is he claims he didn't get along with Francona. If you can't play for Tito, you can;t play for anybody. And he got along with Joe Maddon, right?

Crawford is lucky that Clif & Claf are long dead. Those two hacks would've ripped him 24/7 in print and on their daily radio show.
            Last edited by SDL; 02-16-2013, 01:23 AM.
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
              • Jan 2006

Heard this: US Postal service to become new main sponsor of the New York Yankees. They want to get the know-how of A-Rod, Pettitte, Montero (ex), Cervelli and Co.

AND: Cervelli will be able to catch fulltime now, since he does not need to fly to Miami three times a week to get some "packages".

Win-win situation. Yeahyeahyeah.
              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Evangelion
                Baseball Fever Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by raysnbran View Post

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...,7047934.story
                If he perform, this won't be an issue. Just an excuse from Crawford to justify his pathetic performance.

Comment

• Yaz
                  • Dec 2011

That's what he gets for playing injured for ungrateful fans. He'll excel in LA once healthy.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                    #firedavedombrowski
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                    Chris Mellon has a new write up on Kurcz. From what I understand he doesn't semm to have a "wicked breaking ball" at all. Quite the opposite. He seems to have a good fastball (that can reach as high as 96) with lots of late movement that can generate lots of swing and misses. But he is overdepending on it (due to the lack of quality secondary offerings) and his command apparently is fringy, leading to the high walk rates.

Aaron Kurcz Position: Pitcher 2012 Team: Portland Sea Dogs 2013 Projected Team: Portland Sea Dogs Opening Day Age: 22 Strengths...

Comment

• 9&10
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Yaz View Post
                      That's what he gets for playing injured for ungrateful fans. He'll excel in LA once healthy.
                      We'll see.

Comment

• Dude Paskert
                        The Grand Poobah of Sweat
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                        Chris Mellon has a new write up on Kurcz. From what I understand he doesn't semm to have a "wicked breaking ball" at all. Quite the opposite. He seems to have a good fastball (that can reach as high as 96) with lots of late movement that can generate lots of swing and misses. But he is overdepending on it (due to the lack of quality secondary offerings) and his command apparently is fringy, leading to the high walk rates.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/02...kurcz-and.html
                        Thanks for the update, good stuff!
                        I've been combing through my BA Yearbook looking for young guys who stand out, Kurcz's K/9 caught my eye (and then the BB/9).
                        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• Phantom Dreamer
                          Bring Back The Trident
                          • Nov 2012

Red Sox acquired 1B Mike Carp from the Mariners. I wonder how much playing time he'll receive and look forward to see if he'll outproduce Smoak, Ibanez, etc.
                          The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• Mike D.
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
                            Red Sox acquired 1B Mike Carp from the Mariners. I wonder how much playing time he'll receive and look forward to see if he'll outproduce Smoak, Ibanez, etc.
                            Good pickup for the price. He fits that last roster spot pretty well (lefty bat, plays 1B and LF) and has at least a little upside. He could be a solid part-time contributor.
                            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                              US Air Force Retired
                              • Jun 2003

Papi reveals today that the heel injury was actually a small tear and an MRI resently shows it is still there. I will stand by my prediction of Papi not playing much this year. They need to keep Mauro Gomez somewhere close because he would be an ideal DH for the Sox

Comment

• filihok
                                Team Veteran
                                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                                Papi reveals today that the heel injury was actually a small tear and an MRI resently shows it is still there. I will stand by my prediction of Papi not playing much this year. They need to keep Mauro Gomez somewhere close because he would be an ideal DH for the Sox
                                Ideal, except he can't hit.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X