Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Boston Red Sox offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Red Sox acquired 1B Mike Carp from the Mariners. I wonder how much playing time he'll receive and look forward to see if he'll outproduce Smoak, Ibanez, etc.
    Good pickup for the price. He fits that last roster spot pretty well (lefty bat, plays 1B and LF) and has at least a little upside. He could be a solid part-time contributor.
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

Papi reveals today that the heel injury was actually a small tear and an MRI resently shows it is still there. I will stand by my prediction of Papi not playing much this year. They need to keep Mauro Gomez somewhere close because he would be an ideal DH for the Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    Papi reveals today that the heel injury was actually a small tear and an MRI resently shows it is still there. I will stand by my prediction of Papi not playing much this year. They need to keep Mauro Gomez somewhere close because he would be an ideal DH for the Sox
    Ideal, except he can't hit.

Mauro Gomez cant field...he certainly can hit

Mauro Gomez cant field...he certainly can hit
    Not enough to have value as a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Not enough to have value as a DH.
    What's his 2013 WAR projection?

Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    Fairly irrelevant if he's only DHing (And yes I'm aware that you don't care).
    But I'm not sure why we're having this discussion anyway. All I read was Ortiz saying the tear doesn't show at all anymore on the MRIs. Boxer, where did you read/hear that the tear is still there?
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    There are multiple projections systems available on the FanGraphs' player pages.

A simple average of these 4 systems (including ZiPS) have Gomez hitting .315/.447 next season.

The league average DH hit .326/.438 in 2012.

So, Gomez actually comes in right around average for the position.

Blog Entries
    Hello, Mister Webster.

How about this kid striking out 4 Blue Jays (Bautista, Encarnacion, Arencibia and Lawrie) and hitting 99 mph on the radar gun?!?!!!
    Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 02-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    Hello, Mister Webster.

How about this kid striking out 4 Blue Jays (Bautista, Encarnacion, Arencibia and Lawrie) and hitting 99 mph on the radar gun?!?!!!
    Dodger fan says:

Enjoy him and de la Rosa

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    There are multiple projections systems available on the FanGraphs' player pages.

A simple average of these 4 systems (including ZiPS) have Gomez hitting .315/.447 next season.

The league average DH hit .326/.438 in 2012.

So, Gomez actually comes in right around average for the position.
    does average consider fenway? I would say hitting average in fenway means below average production because that is a hitters park.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Ryan Westmoreland officially calls it quits.

Providence-Journal: Westmoreland Retires

It's a shame. He had some serious promise as a ballplayer. Hope all goes well for him.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

the saga of Papi continues...now his legs hurt. I suspect they hurt because they are out of shape from resting the heel all off season. He really needs to get it going pretty soon

Vazquez is simply outstanding behind the plate. He is going to be a GREAT catcher.

the saga of Papi continues...now his legs hurt. I suspect they hurt because they are out of shape from resting the heel all off season. He really needs to get it going pretty soon
    Now we are being told he just had an MRI on both heels.

not good.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...-season-opener

If Ortiz misses considerable time (possibility), I imagine we might see Lavarnway stick and he and Salty both get at bats at DH. Gomez will probably be in AAA as a backup to the backup plan.
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    If Ortiz misses considerable time (possibility), I imagine we might see Lavarnway stick and he and Salty both get at bats at DH. Gomez will probably be in AAA as a backup to the backup plan.
    i still like Gomez or even JC Linares (having a good spring). I would like Lavarnway to go back to AAA and finish his development at C.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425