Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Rays Off-season thread

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    The Twins have inquired about Shields, and what it would take to get him. I would say Mauer, but the Rays cannot afford his deal. Phillies are the front runners to win the Upton sweepstakes. I don't expect us to sign any name free agents, any offense coming this way will have to be via a trade of some of our pitching depth.
    If the Twins want Sheilds the Rays will get Mauer and or a OF'er and they will have the Twins eat some of mauer's Contract

BJ is an ex-Ray, officially...Rays get a compensating pick at the end of the first round of next years draft

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/sta...08873079123968

Now Rays will go after Justin

Congrats to David Price!
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Indeed didn't get robbed again

BBWA calling Andrew Friedman: "Andrew? Hi, this is (so & so) from the Baseball Writers of America. I have good news and bad news for you. Which do you want first?"
    Friedman: "I'll take the good news"
    BBWA: "David Price won the AL Cy Young Award!"
    Friedman: "What's the bad news?"
    BBWA: "His agent is on his way to your office to talk about his contract"

BBWA calling Andrew Friedman: "Andrew? Hi, this is (so & so) from the Baseball Writers of America. I have good news and bad news for you. Which do you want first?"
    Friedman: "I'll take the good news"
    BBWA: "David Price won the AL Cy Young Award!"
    Friedman: "What's the bad news?"
    BBWA: "His agent is on his way to your office to talk about his contract"

Sad But true

BJ Upton taking the grand tour of the NL East...he has been wined and dined by the Phillies, Braves and Nationals so far. The Mets have no money and the Marlins offered to treat him to a Five Guys burger instead of McDonalds if he came and visited with them

Melky Cabrera signs a 2 year deal with Toronto for $16M...and I thought he may have been in the Rays price range after his drug suspension. I am way off of what I thought guys would get if I thought we had a chance to sign him. How about Shields to Texas for Andrus, Olt, Martin Perez and a prospect SP? Or to Miami for Stanton, Logan Morrison, Nolasco and a catching prospect? Andrew better think of something this offseason, pitching and defense got us 3rd place in 2012 and every team in the division is improving.

Rather upton go to the NL anyways

I don't see this ever happening, but any bit of Rays FA rumors is news at this time of year. Unless we make a trade at the owners meetings in December, we usually wait to pick thru the bottom of the free agent barrel after the 1st of the year...

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/st...64786910535681

Crazy idea: trade for switch-hitting Carlos Beltran of the Cardinals as Rays' DH.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16033593

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Crazy idea: trade for switch-hitting Carlos Beltran of the Cardinals as Rays' DH.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16033593

Not a bad idea, but I don't think our position of strength (SP) matches up with the Cardinals' needs...they have a lot of good young pitching and vet SPs. Beltran may still see himself as an everyday, 130+ game outfielder and not a DH. It's tough for guys that have never DH'ed to switch leagues and get that mindset to do it (see Burrell, Pat). We've been down that road before and it did not work out well for both parties.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/royals-...015456742.html

Get it done Andrew! Wil Myers would be a star here. And while you are at it, find a way to get Keppinger back here. I would hate to see him 18 times a year in a Yankees uniform!
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Rays extended Longorie thru 2022.

Apparently, the Rays guaranteed Evan's options years ('14-'16). As it stands heading to this spring, he's now at 10 years / $136M (2013-2022) with a possible option for 2023. This looks much closer to his value - nice job Tampa!
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Rays extended Longorie thru 2022.

Apparently, the Rays guaranteed Evan's options years ('14-'16). As it stands heading to this spring, he's now at 10 years / $136M (2013-2022) with a possible option for 2023. This looks much closer to his value - nice job Tampa!
    I just saw that good god what a great early Christmas present

Man, it always makes me feel "old" when players I've seen play early in their careers now have kids getting close to the majors...

Rays acquired OF Raul Mondesi, Jr. from the Brewers for RHP Burke Badenhop.

I like this small move for both sides.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

If Longoria can stay healthy for half of those years, it will be a good deal. That's always the crapshoot Rays fans come to expect. He needs to change his offseason training program to be able to be more flexible instead of building up muscle.

I've been out of town for a funeral and just saw the BJ Upton contract with the Braves. I may be an oldtimer but seriously? $15M average for 5 years for BJ Upton? Did he ever make an All Star team or lead his league in any kind of offensive or defensive category? It's just hard to justify that kind of money, how on earth are the Rays ever going to be more than a modern day Kansas City A's? Developing young players until you become unaffordable and nowadays get nothing in return.

Rays to sign James Loney to one year deal:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...mes-loney.html

Loney fills a hole in the Rays' lineup and the Rays play the NL West in interleague this year: Rockies, Giants, Diamondbacks and Dodgers.

I think Loney is a better fit for the Pirates as Loney has good numbers against the Cincinnati Reds.

CBS' Heyman is saying the Loney deal just got finalized.

Apparently the Nats are talking to the Rays about a possible deal. Names being mentioned have been Mike Morse, Danny Espinosa for the Nationals and Shields, Hellickson for Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    CBS' Heyman is saying the Loney deal just got finalized.

Apparently the Nats are talking to the Rays about a possible deal. Names being mentioned have been Mike Morse, Danny Espinosa for the Nationals and Shields, Hellickson for Tampa.
    I would take that deal....... Two great bats......

I assume the loney deal means Los is gone.

I could see Shields OR Hellickson being dealt but not both. Loney is a better BA guy than Pena, but we lose in the HRs and RBI stats. I would love if they re-signed Keppinger, as his value is way down now after he broke his leg.

Anyone know why the Nats are trying hard to trade Morse? I like him better than a guy like Werth, just wondering why a young slugger like Morse is being shopped around so much...

I know the Red Sox would not trade directly with us, but wondering what their plans are with Napoli, Ross, Lavarnway and Saltalamacchia? Napoli will play 1B and maybe 20 games at C, but they didn't sign Ross to just warm up the bullpen. Maybe we can get either Lavarnway or Salty in a 3 way deal with someone?
    Last edited by raysnbran; 12-03-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Yes, Shields alone would bring Morse and Espinosa. A platoon of Morse and Loney would be great. The Loney signing is setting up to be another dumpster dive gem for the Rays. He won't hit 46 homers like Pena once did nor hit over .300 like Kotchman but anything around .250 with good defense would be a win for the Rays.

Keppinger will be too expensive for the Rays. His broken leg won't reduce his pay one bit and too many teams need him.

Yes, Shields alone would bring Morse and Espinosa. A platoon of Morse and Loney would be great. The Loney signing is setting up to be another dumpster dive gem for the Rays. He won't hit 46 homers like Pena once did nor hit over .300 like Kotchman but anything around .250 with good defense would be a win for the Rays.

Keppinger will be too expensive for the Rays. His broken leg won't reduce his pay one bit and too many teams need him.

If Longoria can stay healthy for half of those years, it will be a good deal. That's always the crapshoot Rays fans come to expect. He needs to change his offseason training program to be able to be more flexible instead of building up muscle.
    If Longo stays healthy it will make the owners and **** look like genius's again.

I've been out of town for a funeral and just saw the BJ Upton contract with the Braves. I may be an oldtimer but seriously? $15M average for 5 years for BJ Upton? Did he ever make an All Star team or lead his league in any kind of offensive or defensive category? It's just hard to justify that kind of money, how on earth are the Rays ever going to be more than a modern day Kansas City A's? Developing young players until you become unaffordable and nowadays get nothing in return.
    Sorry to hear that and i don't know 15m seems reasonable.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast