Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Rays Off-season thread

Man, it always makes me feel "old" when players I've seen play early in their careers now have kids getting close to the majors...

Rays acquired OF Raul Mondesi, Jr. from the Brewers for RHP Burke Badenhop.

I like this small move for both sides.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

If Longoria can stay healthy for half of those years, it will be a good deal. That's always the crapshoot Rays fans come to expect. He needs to change his offseason training program to be able to be more flexible instead of building up muscle.

I've been out of town for a funeral and just saw the BJ Upton contract with the Braves. I may be an oldtimer but seriously? $15M average for 5 years for BJ Upton? Did he ever make an All Star team or lead his league in any kind of offensive or defensive category? It's just hard to justify that kind of money, how on earth are the Rays ever going to be more than a modern day Kansas City A's? Developing young players until you become unaffordable and nowadays get nothing in return.

Rays to sign James Loney to one year deal:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...mes-loney.html

Loney fills a hole in the Rays' lineup and the Rays play the NL West in interleague this year: Rockies, Giants, Diamondbacks and Dodgers.

I think Loney is a better fit for the Pirates as Loney has good numbers against the Cincinnati Reds.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

CBS' Heyman is saying the Loney deal just got finalized.

Apparently the Nats are talking to the Rays about a possible deal. Names being mentioned have been Mike Morse, Danny Espinosa for the Nationals and Shields, Hellickson for Tampa.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    CBS' Heyman is saying the Loney deal just got finalized.

Apparently the Nats are talking to the Rays about a possible deal. Names being mentioned have been Mike Morse, Danny Espinosa for the Nationals and Shields, Hellickson for Tampa.
    I would take that deal....... Two great bats......

I assume the loney deal means Los is gone.

I could see Shields OR Hellickson being dealt but not both. Loney is a better BA guy than Pena, but we lose in the HRs and RBI stats. I would love if they re-signed Keppinger, as his value is way down now after he broke his leg.

Anyone know why the Nats are trying hard to trade Morse? I like him better than a guy like Werth, just wondering why a young slugger like Morse is being shopped around so much...

I know the Red Sox would not trade directly with us, but wondering what their plans are with Napoli, Ross, Lavarnway and Saltalamacchia? Napoli will play 1B and maybe 20 games at C, but they didn't sign Ross to just warm up the bullpen. Maybe we can get either Lavarnway or Salty in a 3 way deal with someone?
    Last edited by raysnbran; 12-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Yes, Shields alone would bring Morse and Espinosa. A platoon of Morse and Loney would be great. The Loney signing is setting up to be another dumpster dive gem for the Rays. He won't hit 46 homers like Pena once did nor hit over .300 like Kotchman but anything around .250 with good defense would be a win for the Rays.

Keppinger will be too expensive for the Rays. His broken leg won't reduce his pay one bit and too many teams need him.

Yes, Shields alone would bring Morse and Espinosa. A platoon of Morse and Loney would be great. The Loney signing is setting up to be another dumpster dive gem for the Rays. He won't hit 46 homers like Pena once did nor hit over .300 like Kotchman but anything around .250 with good defense would be a win for the Rays.

Keppinger will be too expensive for the Rays. His broken leg won't reduce his pay one bit and too many teams need him.

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    If Longoria can stay healthy for half of those years, it will be a good deal. That's always the crapshoot Rays fans come to expect. He needs to change his offseason training program to be able to be more flexible instead of building up muscle.
    If Longo stays healthy it will make the owners and **** look like genius's again.

I've been out of town for a funeral and just saw the BJ Upton contract with the Braves. I may be an oldtimer but seriously? $15M average for 5 years for BJ Upton? Did he ever make an All Star team or lead his league in any kind of offensive or defensive category? It's just hard to justify that kind of money, how on earth are the Rays ever going to be more than a modern day Kansas City A's? Developing young players until you become unaffordable and nowadays get nothing in return.
    Sorry to hear that and i don't know 15m seems reasonable.

We've been debating trading Shields and/or Hellickson; now this article says they would be wise to trade Price now while his value is the highest. He would get $25M a year from some team if he was on the market now.

http://www.raysindex.com/2012/12/rep...-contract.html

Out of control prices once again this off season. Once Sternberg gets tired of Mayor Foster's act in St Petersburg, MLB will step in and provide him with an ultimatum. Each year gets harder and harder as the salary structure goes higher and higher.

Rays trade a minor leaguer to get Yunel Escobar to play SS. And Keppinger signs with the White Sox 3 yrs $12M. Hopefully Escobar is just a 1 year plug in until Beckham or Ryu (sp?)is ready to play SS. Still need a bat or 2.

Still need a bat or 2.
    Good luck. There are no real good options on the free agent market, unless you really like Ronny Cedeno.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Rays need to go after Marlins Staten

Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    Rays need to go after Marlins Staten
    I assume you mean Stanton. Offer up Moore & Jennings and you could get their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I assume you mean Stanton. Offer up Moore & Jennings and you could get their interest.
    Would more apt to give em Sheilds and Helly why would i wanna give up moore who is on a team friendly contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Good luck. There are no real good options on the free agent market, unless you really like Ronny Cedeno.

The Rays have the best pitching staff in the AL as trade bait and all 8 starters are up for grabs. Free agents are the last thing the Rays front office is concerned about. A big trade will be made for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    The Rays have the best pitching staff in the AL as trade bait and all 8 starters are up for grabs. Free agents are the last thing the Rays front office is concerned about. A big trade will be made for sure.
    Actually..... Only helly and Sheilds are on the trade block at the moment.

Rays kicking the tires on a catcher from Cincinnati

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...k-catcher.html

Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    Actually..... Only helly and Sheilds are on the trade block at the moment.

No, all of them are capable of being traded. Shields and Hellickson are just the ones being shopped.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast