Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Phillies Offseason Thread

CBS is now reporting that a deal has in fact been done with the Astros. Haven't heard which player(s) is heading to Houston but they're already Philly West after trades for Oswalt and Pence the past few seasons.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Word is that it'll be at least two prospects who are close to MLB-ready. This could be a landing spot for somebody like Ruf as he'll be a 1B/DH option for them now that they're in the AL. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody like Michael Schwimer was involved as well. Could also see Valle instead of Ruf since the Phils are rather deep in the C position after acquring Joseph from San Fran.
    Last edited by Ben Grimm; 11-28-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Lopez is in Philly for a physical. Let's hope it's not the one they gave Freddy Garcia. He had an elbow issue in June, and the Phils want to make sure there's no long-term effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    CBS is now reporting that a deal has in fact been done with the Astros. Haven't heard which player(s) is heading to Houston but they're already Philly West after trades for Oswalt and Pence the past few seasons.
    I wish the Mets had a major league farm team like the Phillies.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

If this move goes through then my basic reaction will be "It's about time". I'm rather disappointed in General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr.'s offseason performance so far. On the eve of the Winter Meetings the Phillies have done practically nothing this offseason. It's disappointing to see that after a terrible year where the Phillies sank from the winningest regular season team of the last few years back to a .500 record that the Phillies front office showed no signs of urgency in addressing the team's needs, and in fact were beaten to a number of free agent sisnings by other teams.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-01-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Apparently, the Lopez deal fizzled out. Last I heard, he was in town to get a physical. I wonder if there was an issue with his elbow after all.

From ESPN...

Jerry Crasnick@jcrasnick

#Phillies plan to non-tender outfielder Nate Schierholtz, source says. He was eligible for salary arbitration.

With Schierholtz non-tendered, the Phillies will have 37 players on their 40-man roster. Looking at other non-tenders around the league, there are two I wouldn't mind seeing the Phils give a minor league deal with an invite to ST.

First is RP Peter Moylan. He's been injured for much of the past two seasons, but he does have a 2.59 career ERA and induces ground balls at a 64% rate which suits well for CBP. If he works out, he'd add experienced depth to the bullpen at a minimal cost.

The other is 3B Ian Stewart. As an everyday player, Ian can't cut it. But with the limited availability of 3B via FA or trade, this may end up a pure platoon position. While Stewart can't hit LHPs, he hit right handers fairly well. If he & Frandsen are to take the hot corner, it'd free up money for the Phils to address the OF positions.

With Schierholtz non-tendered, the Phillies will have 37 players on their 40-man roster. Looking at other non-tenders around the league, there are two I wouldn't mind seeing the Phils give a minor league deal with an invite to ST.

First is RP Peter Moylan. He's been injured for much of the past two seasons, but he does have a 2.59 career ERA and induces ground balls at a 64% rate which suits well for CBP. If he works out, he'd add experienced depth to the bullpen at a minimal cost.

The other is 3B Ian Stewart. As an everyday player, Ian can't cut it. But with the limited availability of 3B via FA or trade, this may end up a pure platoon position. While Stewart can't hit LHPs, he hit right handers fairly well. If he & Frandsen are to take the hot corner, it'd free up money for the Phils to address the OF positions.
    Since Schierholtz was non-tendered yesterday, Can the Phillies add a minor leaguer to the 40 man roster to protect him on from next week's Rule 5 Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Since Schierholtz was non-tendered yesterday, Can the Phillies add a minor leaguer to the 40 man roster to protect him on from next week's Rule 5 Draft?
    I suppose they could, though I'm not sure there's anybody worth doing (or have enough service time in the minors worth protecting). The nice thing about having the open slots is that you have freedom in signing extra players to ML minimum deals if a minor league deal can't be reached.

According to what I've heard on local radio, online blogs and such, I'm in the minority...

But I'm stating on record that I'm really bummed that the Phils didn't make more of an effort to get BJ Upton. I really think he'd be the perfect fit here. Not just because of all the bigger-name free agents, he's by far the youngest and just entering his prime. But that he fills an area of need (CF), bats RHed, and provides speed on the basepaths so Jimmy's not doing it all by himself. 30/30 players don't grow on trees - especially those who are defensively sound.

I'm really not going to enjoy seeing him play in a Braves uniform.

File this under "Leaving no stone unturned"...

The Phils have talked to the Mariners about Chone Figgins per FOX.

EDIT: Forgot the M's released Chone last week. Regardless, I'm still about it.
    Last edited by Ben Grimm; 12-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.

I suppose they could, though I'm not sure there's anybody worth doing (or have enough service time in the minors worth protecting). The nice thing about having the open slots is that you have freedom in signing extra players to ML minimum deals if a minor league deal can't be reached.
    The first name that comes to mind is Outfielder, Leandro Castro. He had a good year in AA ball (.288, 10 HR, 72 RBI) and figures to move up to start next season in AAA, but he will be subject to the Rule 5 draft if the Phillies aren't able to protect him.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-02-2012 at 10:06 AM.

[QUOTE=Ben Grimm;2091995]According to what I've heard on local radio, online blogs and such, I'm in the minority...

But I'm stating on record that I'm really bummed that the Phils didn't make more of an effort to get BJ Upton. I really think he'd be the perfect fit here+.QUOTE)

Since Upton is off the market, who do the Phillies turn to as an alternative?
    The Phillies longtime antipathy with agent Scott Boras, dating all the way back to the late '90s and the J.D. Drew case might prevent them from making a deal with ex-Phillie and current Boras client Michael Bourn. Bourn also is extremely high-priced and Boras feeds all his clients' greed by extracting every penny he can out of teams, another factor weighing against the Phillies coming to terms with Bourn. I'm predicting that Angel Pagan will be the Phillies Centerfielder next year instead, with Pagan signing for at least three years, at 9 to 10.5 million dollars per year.

Since Upton is off the market, who do the Phillies turn to as an alternative?
    The Phillies longtime antipathy with agent Scott Boras, dating all the way back to the late '90s and the J.D. Drew case might prevent them from making a deal with ex-Phillie and current Boras client Michael Bourn. Bourn also is extremely high-priced and Boras feeds all his clients' greed by extracting every penny he can out of teams, another factor weighing against the Phillies coming to terms with Bourn. I'm predicting that Angel Pagan will be the Phillies Centerfielder next year instead, with Pagan signing for at least three years, at 9 to 10.5 million dollars per year.
    I don't think Upton was really in the Phils' plans. One thing I noticed with Ruben is that if he wants a player, and that player's in town on a visit, rarely does he leave with no contract. This is how I absolutely knew Cuddyer wasn't going to be a Phil last season.

With Pagan, he's the favorite right now. I personally don't like him. He's decent in the field sure, but no better than Victorino. He also has much less power potential than Shane, and I'm against Shane for $10M a year. No way do I want to see Pagan getting $30M with somebody like Gillies so close (barring injuries of course). Like Bourn, his whole offensive game relies on his legs and his OBP is nothing to get excited about. He's much closer to a #8 hitter than he is a #1, yet he'll be getting paid much more like a leadoff. I hate paying for players' past - especially for those with limited (if any) upside. He'll be 32 or so next year, and that doesn't bode well for a player who couldn't even find a starting gig until he was 28.

I'd rather trade something small to the Cubs for DeJesus. He's going to make $4-$5M this year and has shown very solid OB skills throughout his career. He can play CF and RF effectively and even though his name doesn't come up like Soriano's does, I'm sure the Cubs and Epstein wouldn't mind moving the cost off their payroll for a future piece.

I simply think Pagan's got maybe one decent year left in him (if lucky) and can easily see this as being a bad contract if it is indeed in the $9-$10M range for 3 or more years.

I've seen Pagan play. He can show flashes of greatness or be dumb as a box of rocks.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Welcome to horror week. The Winter Meetings begin today. Days which Ruben runs around with an open checkbook in one hand and the entire Phils' minor league rosters in the other. Let the overpaying begin!

San Fran just resigned Pagan to a 4/$40M deal. Yay! One of Ruben's best moves yet during his three years here is a non-move.

Another CF option may be in play. The Yankees are said to be taking offers on Curtis Granderson. He's got one year left on his contract at about $15M, so it'd be up to what the Yankees want. It's being assumed they'd want a package of prospects to add to some of theirs which they'd flip to San Diego for Chase Headley now that ARod's having surgery.

I found this interesting... (from rotoworld.com)

Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians want three or four prospects back in a trade for Asdrubal Cabrera.

Hoynes writes that the Indians had the framework of a deal in place to acquire a major league pitcher and two high-level prospects for Cabrera. However, the deal fell apart after the Indians asked for a third prospect as part of the return. While the team in question planned to change Cabrera's position, there should be no shortage of teams who view him as a shortstop. The 26-year-old is signed for $16.5 million through 2014 and can block trades to the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Nationals, Giants, and Mets.

This is exactly the type of move I could see Ruben trying - and I'm curious now if it was him. After all, as it stands now, the current options at 3B on this team aren't everyday 3B anyway. Cabrera's averaged 20 HRs the past two seasons.

Upton signed by the Braves and Pagan re-signs with the Giants. Some of the Phils CF options have shrunk. Dexter Fowler of the Rockies is a trade possibility. Maybe relations were strained with Victorino, but his return to the Phils doesn't seem to high be on Amaro's wish list/agenda.Other options like Granderson (NYY) and former Phillie and Brave Bourn would be the most expensive ways to go and unlikely. Plus the Phillies hate to deal with bourn's agent, Scott boras.

Nat's just signed Dan Haren for a 1-year deal. That strengthens their rotation.

There's been some scuttle about Victorino possibly returning to the Phillies this offseason. Last I read, as many as six teams had interest in his services.

Honestly, I'd have no problem if the Phils ended up signing Vic (3 years max) and say Youkilis (2 years max) simply because they're both short-term and have decent probability to bounce back in 2013. Granted, Youkilis will need to be rested two days a week which won't be a killer with Frandsen/Galvis maybe playing a substitute platoon behind him depending on the opposing pitcher. Can also give Ryan a day or two off a week with Youk playing 1B against LH starters.

Vic would allow Gillies, James and whoever else of the future CFs to develop an extra year in the minors and show they can actually play and stay healthy.

It's not an ideal offseason I'm sure. But IF Youkilis looks good in ST, it really makes this lineup better....

Rollins SS (SH)
    Utley 2B (LH)
    Youkilis 3B (RH)
    Howard 1B (LH)
    Victorino CF (SH)
    Mayberry LF (RH)
    Brown RF (LH)
    Kratz C (RH)

Not terrible. LF or RF can be addressed by platoon either in-house or via FA with somebody like Ludwick. Ludwick/Brown along with Mayberry/Nix wouldn't end the world if used properly. I'd probably rather see a bullpen piece instead and look to improve a corner OF spot at the deadline if this teams in contention (as I believe they will with a healthy Ryan & Chase there on opening day).

The Phillies' and Ruben Amaro Jr's offseason reminds me of the Elvis Costello song "Almost Beaten to The Punch" except cross out that first word "Almost". Free Agents signing opportunities and Trade opportunities have disappeared daily and Amaro hasn't made any headlines of any type except for the "Another Opportunity eludes Phillies" variety.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.

The Phillies' and Ruben Amaro Jr's offseason reminds me of the Elvis Costello song "Almost Beaten to The Punch" except cross out that first word "Almost". Free Agents signing opportunities and Trade opportunities have disappeared daily and Amaro hasn't made any headlines of any type except for the "Another Opportunity eludes Phillies" variety.
    I have absolutely no problem with it actually. One of my main issues with Amaro is that he sets the market instead of waiting things out. Now that he doesn't have an empty checkbook like in the past - along with multiple holes to fill - he's being more patient. He's signed too many players early on with too much money and/or years attached to their deals. I like that he's stepping back a bit and trying to really get a feel of the overall situation for this year as well as 3+ years down the road. Now that I say that, he could go tonight and get Hamilton for 7 years and trade the system away for Justin Upton. We'll see

FWIW, I think we'll see a moderate signing as well as a moderate trade to fill out the roster. I don't see the Phils being in on Hamilton or Bourn and they don't have what Arizona needs for an Upton deal.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast