Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Phillies Offseason Thread

According to Matt Gelb, the Phillies offered Ichiro Suzuki 2 years at $14M. That would have been brutal. Thank you Yankees for upping your original offer. Over his past three seasons, Ichiro's struck out more, walked less and even what power he sort of had has dwindled. A proud owner of a .326 OB% the past three seasons. When he's not getting on base, he's virtually useless. Oh yeah - and he's already 39 years old.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

These guys on WIP are moronic for the most part, but one of them equated signing Cody Ross as a free agent to getting socks for Christmas. I totally agree with that.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

And after I say I agree with something said by a WIP dope, he comes right back in a telephone interview with Ben Revere telling him he has to go all out - all the time. Haven't fans (and even worse, radio personalities) realized this isn't football? This town loved that Aaron Rowand went all out. How did that fare? Chase Utley plays "110%" every play. How's he holding up? I really, really thought this city would get that there's a baseball mentality and a football mentality and both are completely different. Apparently not.

Radio personalities are THE worst, in my opinion.

Cody Ross is worse than socks. He is a lump of coal. He hasn't been connected to the Phils [that I'm aware of]. Why would the Phils sign him though? After that crap he pulled in 2010. He had no business hitting like that in the NLCS. It's just the kind of move a team would make in this day and age though.

I freaking hate Cody Ross.
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    According to Matt Gelb, the Phillies offered Ichiro Suzuki 2 years at $14M. That would have been brutal. Thank you Yankees for upping your original offer. Over his past three seasons, Ichiro's struck out more, walked less and even what power he sort of had has dwindled. A proud owner of a .326 OB% the past three seasons. When he's not getting on base, he's virtually useless. Oh yeah - and he's already 39 years old.
    I think that even if the Phillies offered $16 or $17 million for two years, as long as the Yankees were within $2or 3 million of that figure Ichiro would have returned to the Yankees. His heart was set on it.

Phils have their Set-up man in Adams.

Mike Adams signed today for two years with two possible vesting options for a third year (2015). Contract calls for about $6 Million salary in both 2013 & 2014. Will be used as an 8th inning Set-Up Man.

Looks like a good pick up.
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

SP-John Lannan signed a few hours after Adams. - Saturday was a Busy Day in Philadelphia! Lannan will compete for rotation spot vacated by Worley's trade to Twins.

Do you think the Phillies should sign Nick Swisher?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    I have very mixed feelings bout Swisher.
    I perceive him as being a very arrogant guy, so for personality reasons I'd say the Phils should pass on him.
    However, the guy has about 210 career home runs and he seemed to specialize in the late inning, come-from-behind home run for the Yankees these last four seasons.

I remember one game in particular in 2010 when the Yankees and the Rays were in a tight race for the American League East division title. In a day game at Yankee Stadium in late August or september the Orioles had a one-run lead from about the fifth inning on. With one on and two outs in the ninth, Swisher faced Baltimore's top reliever Uehara and hit a walkoff holme run. Tampa Bay wound up edging the Yankees for the diviaion title by one game, but the incident still highligts that Swisher often could rise to the occasion in a clutch situation.

I like Swisher mostly because of his switch-hitting ability. SHers really help balance out a lineup and helps add some RH power to this lineup.

If there's a downside to his game, it's that he's only .169/.283/.305 in 181 PAs during the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Mike Adams signed today for two years with two possible vesting options for a third year (2015). Contract calls for about $6 Million salary in both 2013 & 2014. Will be used as an 8th inning Set-Up Man.
    I'm not a fan of overspending for relievers mainly because they're so volatile year to year. But Adams has been exceptional the past few seasons, and the Phils didn't have the budget to go spending on hitters this year. Add in how the pen blew up last season, and it's no surprise Amaro made a reactionary signing.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    SP-John Lannan signed a few hours after Adams. - Saturday was a Busy Day in Philadelphia! Lannan will compete for rotation spot vacated by Worley's trade to Twins.
    Not a fan at all. He's been horrible when starting in this park. If he has one bad outing, the fans will get on him quickly IMO simply based on his breaking Chase's arm a few years ago. Hopefully, somebody beats him out and he's simply a long-reliever - albeit a somewhat expensive one.

I think Swisher is more reliable than what we are currently working with.

Ben on John Lannan:
    Not a fan at all. He's been horrible when starting in this park. If he has one bad outing, the fans will get on him quickly IMO simply based on his breaking Chase's arm a few years ago. Hopefully, somebody beats him out and he's simply a long-reliever - albeit a somewhat expensive one.
    Oh no, another Andy Ashby. If Lannan is terrible at least the present-day Phillies will in all likelihood not make the mistake they made with Ashby of bringing him back for a second stint.
    Ashby never learned to pitch in the good hitters' park of Veterans Stadium. He was 2-8 in 1991 & 1992, his first two years in the majors. Then after moving on to other teams and actually making two National League all-star teams as a San Diego Padre with 17 wins in 1998 and 14 wins in 1999, Ashby's good numbers on the West coast deceived the team into reacquiring him for the 2000 season. Quickly Ashby reverted back to his losing ways in Philly going 4-7 until the Phils ditched him mid-way through the '00 season. Almost predictably he bounced back to post a decent 8-6 mark over the remainder of the season with Atlanta. Altogether Ashby was 98-110 lifetime in a career that ended in 2004, but he was 6-15 in three seasons as a Phillie. Take away his misadventures in Philadelphia and Ashby almost broke even at 92-95, a decent journeyman's total. If Lannan's track record in Philadelphia is as bad as Ben Grimm indicates then the Phillies' front office hasn't learned much over the last 13 years.

"If someone beats Lannan out he'll be an expensive long reliever" -Ben Grimm. - "Calling Jon Pettibone! - Hope you have a great Spring Training, Jon!" - philliesfiend55.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-19-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Lannan, to me, is a classic case of a guy who gets roughed up after a lineup sees him the first time.

1st inning ERA: 2.82
    2nd inning ERA: 2.76
    3rd inning ERA: 5.48
    4th inning ERA: 4.08
    5th inning ERA: 4.32
    6th inning ERA: 4.36

Granted, he does have a GB rate around 50%. But being a LHP, teams will throw in a few righty hitters against him which means balls hit to Michael Young. Something tells me we'll be seeing Galvis at 3B when Lannan's on the mound, though that could hamper his run support.

Lannan, to me, is a classic case of a guy who gets roughed up after a lineup sees him the first time.
    This is true of all pitchers
    In the NL in 2012
    1st time facing batter .695
    2nd time .734
    3rd time .775

Lannan's OPS against
    1st time .678
    2nd time .779
    3rd time .805

But, you're right. Lannan does get hit more harder than the average NL starter.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    This is true of all pitchers
    In the NL in 2012
    1st time facing batter .695
    2nd time .734
    3rd time .775

Lannan's OPS against
    1st time .678
    2nd time .779
    3rd time .805

But, you're right. Lannan does get hit more harder than the average NL starter.
    Very true about most pitchers getting hit harder once seen. And even more prelevant (sp?) today with so many starters in the game since there are 30 teams.

But look at the isolated number on those that you broke down. OPS difference in NL last year between 1st and 2nd look was .039 - against Lannan, it's .101

If there's a downside to his game, it's that he's only .169/.283/.305 in 181 PAs during the post season.
    Playoffs are a small sample size.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Playoffs are a small sample size.
    That's 181 PAs - more than most players get in that situation.

I like Swisher mostly because of his switch-hitting ability. SHers really help balance out a lineup and helps add some RH power to this lineup.

The more I think about Swisher the more I like him. For the reason you mentioned and he is a corner outfielder, which we need. Mayberry and Brown have hardly proven themselves. Swisher is a proven power hitter who is hardly ever injured. Something that would be a nice change for the oft-injured Phils.

Cleveland has offered him a deal, rumored 4 years at $50 million. The Phillies don't even sound interested.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast