Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I wanted Granderson to walk. I believe this was a mistake. Seems ESPN tells Brian what to do.
    They still had to sign him. They can trade a cheap 40 home run hitter pretty easily.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    IIRC, Soriano's still under contract for near $15M next year.

If I'm the Yankees, I"d prefer to keep Swisher if it's not too ridiculous a deal. Switch hitters give the manager great flexibility with the lineup and bench and his .360+ OPS is tough to replace considering the FA market this season.
    But he's a bit of a jerk. IMO, jerk are only worth keeping if they are true superstars, something Swisher isn't.
    Last edited by TonyStarks; 10-31-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Language

Hey guys I hope you are all fine. the storm really looked bad on TV. how did you experiece the storm?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

If you're interested in some volunteer work:

Want to volunteer and help NYC get back on its feet after Hurricane #Sandy? Email nycservice@cityhall.nyc.gov w/your name, email and borough
    https://twitter.com/scottmstringer/s...05104688943104
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    But he's a bit of a jerk. IMO, jerk are only worth keeping if they are true superstars, something Swisher isn't.
    Which is something I believe both of our towns have in common when it comes to player perception. Funny how situations change over time. Philly fans often called Swisher a jerk and couldn't stand him while I was hearing from NY that he's quirky and fun to be around. Now he's coming off a down-year and about to hit FA, and it's the NY fanbase calling him a jerk (?). Meanwhile Phils fans in general think he'd be a perfect fit for a team with impatient hitting and poor plate approach and are now endearing themselves to the idea.

My bad on the Soriano situation. I fogot he had a two-time opt out clause in his contract.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    OT but man Yankees cold streak infected the Tigers.
    Not so much that the Tigers were infected by the Yankees cold streak but more like the following: Bad luck for the Tigers. Just like in 2006 they clinched the LCS much earlier than their NL eventual NL opponent. Both in '06 & this year they sat around for almost a week between their last playoff game and first World Series game, got rusty, cold, out of rhythm - however you want to phrase it - and had a poor Series.

Which is something I believe both of our towns have in common when it comes to player perception. Funny how situations change over time. Philly fans often called Swisher a jerk and couldn't stand him while I was hearing from NY that he's quirky and fun to be around. Now he's coming off a down-year and about to hit FA, and it's the NY fanbase calling him a jerk (?). Meanwhile Phils fans in general think he'd be a perfect fit for a team with impatient hitting and poor plate approach and are now endearing themselves to the idea.
    Swisher IS A JERK! I don't like Swisher at all and I'd much rather have the Phillies pursue Torii Hunter,even though Hunter is five years older. Hunter is an all-out hustler, team player, smart, heady player, and a defensive whiz coming off his best MLB season in terms of batting average (.313). The Phillies, however, will have competiton for Hunter's services from the NYY once the signing season begins this Saturday, November 3, as the Yanks attempt to replace Swisher. I don't see many Phillies fans now clamoring for the team to sign Swisher. He acted like an idiot towards Phils fans at CBP during the 2009 World Series and Phillies fans shouldn't overlook or forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Swisher IS A JERK!
    As a Mets fan, I agree with this sentiment.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

So now we're going for Torii Hunter? Why??? Can I please be GM, I'll even take a massive pay cut.

I think his behavior after Game 2 of the ALCS has switched our opinions on him. TBH we all get frustrated, we all get upset, but blaming the fans? Thats pretty much a big no no. In this case he blamed the wrong ones and turned the Creatures against him. Swisher seems to keep appearing on lists about being unpopular with other players, maybe they knew something all along we didn't?

Blog Entries
    So now we're going for Torii Hunter? Why??? Can I please be GM, I'll even take a massive pay cut.
    You think Hunter would be a terrible signing? Yet you've said that you want to bring Ichiro back? Ichiro, who's older than Hunter, and hits for no power from a corner OF position...

Dont get me wrong. I cant stand Hunter and don't want him anywhere near this team. I'm just having a hard time following your logic.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    You think Hunter would be a terrible signing? Yet you've said that you want to bring Ichiro back? Ichiro, who's older than Hunter, and hits for no power from a corner OF position...

Dont get me wrong. I cant stand Hunter and don't want him anywhere near this team. I'm just having a hard time following your logic.
    Ichiro is gonna be way better in 2013 than Hunter, and he even steals more and at this point is a better defender. He'll get 10 home runs.

Joakim Soria, just 28, would like to close, but he would be willing to go to the Yankees to learn from his idol Mariano Rivera.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...or-the-yankees

I would still like Soriano to come back, but these guys are all about the $ these days.
    Last edited by Hysteria; 11-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Read we are talking to Martin on a contract. Let him go to another team because I don't want him back anymore. I watched too many game to have him come back even for 1 year. He gambled on a good year because he turned down three years. He lost. (to reply to other post - I hope we do trade Granderson but will have to pick up some of the money).

Watch Romine hit a triple at all star game. We are old and made a mistake with Montero - let's dump Martin and take a chance with Romine. I don't feel it will be much of a drop off.
    Last edited by clipper; 11-06-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Re: Martin. Any major leaguer who hits below .250 had better be an outstanding defensive player. Martin has hit WELL below .250 two years in a row and is good, not great behind the plate. Call me crazy, but I don't mind rebuilding with youth for a couple of years and slashing payroll as well. Stewart, Cervelli and Romine may not be front-line catchers, but could they be worse than Martin?
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Ichiro is gonna be way better in 2013 than Hunter, and he even steals more and at this point is a better defender. He'll get 10 home runs.
    Hunter has been a superior play to Suzuki for a few years now. Plus Hunter as a RHH gives some balance to the Yankee OF. It would be an upgrade. Maybe not a huge one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Re: Martin. Any major leaguer who hits below .250 had better be an outstanding defensive player. Martin has hit WELL below .250 two years in a row and is good, not great behind the plate. Call me crazy, but I don't mind rebuilding with youth for a couple of years and slashing payroll as well. Stewart, Cervelli and Romine may not be front-line catchers, but could they be worse than Martin?
    Huh? The guy averages 15 runs saved per 120 games with his pitch framing. If you buy into that theory he is one of the two or three best catchers in the game defensively. The Yanks seem to buy into it. The Yankee pitchers have fared well with Martin. Stewart has been good but in a much smaller sample.

On top of that he is an average hitter for a catcher. His wOBA of .316 was 15th amongst catchers. Combine that with top of the line defense and you have a very valuable player.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Huh? The guy averages 15 runs saved per 120 games with his pitch framing. If you buy into that theory he is one of the two or three best catchers in the game defensively. The Yanks seem to buy into it. The Yankee pitchers have fared well with Martin. Stewart has been good but in a much smaller sample.

On top of that he is an average hitter for a catcher. His wOBA of .316 was 15th amongst catchers. Combine that with top of the line defense and you have a very valuable player.
    15th!!! Let him be valuable on another team. He sucked at the plate for most of the games I watched and it was better at the end only because his batting average was below .200. I wanted Steward more most of the year. We need a change here. Let Romine be the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    15th!!! Let him be valuable on another team. He sucked at the plate for most of the games I watched and it was better at the end only because his batting average was below .200. I wanted Steward more most of the year. We need a change here. Let Romine be the backup.
    Stewart was way worse. And has been historically. Martin gets on base and hits for power. Batting average is something Joe Morgan cares about. I do not think framing is something easily detectible from the bleachers or TV. If it was it would not work, but it does. Pitchers get more called strikes on balls outside the zone with Martin catching than with just about any other catcher. Strikes and balls matter.

Blog Entries
    For his two seasons with the Yankees, Martin has averaged 20 home runs and about 2 WAR per season. He hasn't been great but you can certainly do much worse from the catcher position.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast