Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 574

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    So now we're going for Torii Hunter? Why??? Can I please be GM, I'll even take a massive pay cut.
    You think Hunter would be a terrible signing? Yet you've said that you want to bring Ichiro back? Ichiro, who's older than Hunter, and hits for no power from a corner OF position...

    Dont get me wrong. I cant stand Hunter and don't want him anywhere near this team. I'm just having a hard time following your logic.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,645
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    You think Hunter would be a terrible signing? Yet you've said that you want to bring Ichiro back? Ichiro, who's older than Hunter, and hits for no power from a corner OF position...

    Dont get me wrong. I cant stand Hunter and don't want him anywhere near this team. I'm just having a hard time following your logic.
    Ichiro is gonna be way better in 2013 than Hunter, and he even steals more and at this point is a better defender. He'll get 10 home runs.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  3. #53
    Joakim Soria, just 28, would like to close, but he would be willing to go to the Yankees to learn from his idol Mariano Rivera.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...or-the-yankees

    I would still like Soriano to come back, but these guys are all about the $ these days.
    Last edited by Hysteria; 11-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Read we are talking to Martin on a contract. Let him go to another team because I don't want him back anymore. I watched too many game to have him come back even for 1 year. He gambled on a good year because he turned down three years. He lost. (to reply to other post - I hope we do trade Granderson but will have to pick up some of the money).

    Watch Romine hit a triple at all star game. We are old and made a mistake with Montero - let's dump Martin and take a chance with Romine. I don't feel it will be much of a drop off.
    Last edited by clipper; 11-06-2012 at 04:28 AM.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mount Sinai,Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,484
    Re: Martin. Any major leaguer who hits below .250 had better be an outstanding defensive player. Martin has hit WELL below .250 two years in a row and is good, not great behind the plate. Call me crazy, but I don't mind rebuilding with youth for a couple of years and slashing payroll as well. Stewart, Cervelli and Romine may not be front-line catchers, but could they be worse than Martin?
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Ichiro is gonna be way better in 2013 than Hunter, and he even steals more and at this point is a better defender. He'll get 10 home runs.
    Hunter has been a superior play to Suzuki for a few years now. Plus Hunter as a RHH gives some balance to the Yankee OF. It would be an upgrade. Maybe not a huge one.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Re: Martin. Any major leaguer who hits below .250 had better be an outstanding defensive player. Martin has hit WELL below .250 two years in a row and is good, not great behind the plate. Call me crazy, but I don't mind rebuilding with youth for a couple of years and slashing payroll as well. Stewart, Cervelli and Romine may not be front-line catchers, but could they be worse than Martin?
    Huh? The guy averages 15 runs saved per 120 games with his pitch framing. If you buy into that theory he is one of the two or three best catchers in the game defensively. The Yanks seem to buy into it. The Yankee pitchers have fared well with Martin. Stewart has been good but in a much smaller sample.

    On top of that he is an average hitter for a catcher. His wOBA of .316 was 15th amongst catchers. Combine that with top of the line defense and you have a very valuable player.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Huh? The guy averages 15 runs saved per 120 games with his pitch framing. If you buy into that theory he is one of the two or three best catchers in the game defensively. The Yanks seem to buy into it. The Yankee pitchers have fared well with Martin. Stewart has been good but in a much smaller sample.

    On top of that he is an average hitter for a catcher. His wOBA of .316 was 15th amongst catchers. Combine that with top of the line defense and you have a very valuable player.
    15th!!! Let him be valuable on another team. He sucked at the plate for most of the games I watched and it was better at the end only because his batting average was below .200. I wanted Steward more most of the year. We need a change here. Let Romine be the backup.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    15th!!! Let him be valuable on another team. He sucked at the plate for most of the games I watched and it was better at the end only because his batting average was below .200. I wanted Steward more most of the year. We need a change here. Let Romine be the backup.
    Stewart was way worse. And has been historically. Martin gets on base and hits for power. Batting average is something Joe Morgan cares about. I do not think framing is something easily detectible from the bleachers or TV. If it was it would not work, but it does. Pitchers get more called strikes on balls outside the zone with Martin catching than with just about any other catcher. Strikes and balls matter.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    For his two seasons with the Yankees, Martin has averaged 20 home runs and about 2 WAR per season. He hasn't been great but you can certainly do much worse from the catcher position.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    For his two seasons with the Yankees, Martin has averaged 20 home runs and about 2 WAR per season. He hasn't been great but you can certainly do much worse from the catcher position.
    OK. We'll disagree. I thought Stewart was better (less power) and I like Cervelli - now we have a prospect Romine. Yes, Martin has more HR; so does Granderson and I don't want him back next year either. All I know is I watched a ton of games and when we needed a clutch hit with a RISP Martin mostly was an out. (I think he sucks) He has been in a decline for the last 5 years. I don't think he looked good the two last play offs (I think he got one HR) and the second half of the year. I don't feel we can win another penant unless we make change and I don't want Martin (or Granderson) back even fort one year. Screw the framing BS, we need a hit with RISP. I hope Brian can make a move next week or start something.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,645
    I can't wait until I hear that Swisher signs elsewhere. Oh yeah can we Sticky this too?
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I can't wait until I hear that Swisher signs elsewhere. Oh yeah can we Sticky this too?
    Agree. And Hunter would look good in pinstrips. The BoSox are interested in Hunter and if they take Swisher they will have to give us a draft. That would be sweet.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I can't wait until I hear that Swisher signs elsewhere. Oh yeah can we Sticky this too?
    Please don't sticky it. Can't even read stickied threads on Tapatalk.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Far NE Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,644
    I'm in the middle of running a redo of the 2012 Phillies season on Out of the Park Baseball, and got this message today (yes it's fictitious):
    Code:
    Message Type  Contracts
    Subject Swisher Signs for 4 Years
    Date 07/16/2012
    
    Fans hailed the signing of Nick Swisher today as the New York Yankees right fielder came to terms with the club.
    
    Set to make $54,000,000 over the upcoming years along with a fifth-year option, Swisher signed primarily out of loyalty to the organization, thrilling the most diehard supporters who think there isn't much loyalty in a market driven by free agency.
    
    This season Swisher is batting .288 with 67 hits, 18 home runs, 47 RBIs, 42 walks, .398 OBP and has scored 42 runs. He has played in 68 games.
    I actually think this is a very solid deal. Then again, I remember how brutal signing Raul Ibanez was at an average of over $10M per for his 37-39 years, and with this one ending by the time Nick's 35 or so, I don't think it's bad at all in comparison to some of the other players possibly available.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,645
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Please don't sticky it. Can't even read stickied threads on Tapatalk.
    That's only because they are using an old version and need to update.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,645
    So if the worst happens and the Yanks don't make the playoffs, do the Yanks pass on Girardi for a new contract when the season is over?
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  18. #68
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    So if the worst happens and the Yanks don't make the playoffs, do the Yanks pass on Girardi for a new contract when the season is over?
    I doubt it.

    .....

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,645
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I doubt it.

    .....
    Well, he certainly won't be fired mid season or anything like that, they have to give him that respect. But to be perfectly honest, he's not bad but he's not really that good either. I don't think they re-sign him if the Yanks fail to make the playoffs or don't go past the ALDS.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    That's only because they are using an old version and need to update.
    Maybe they did. Got an update this morning and now i can respond.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Well, he certainly won't be fired mid season or anything like that, they have to give him that respect. But to be perfectly honest, he's not bad but he's not really that good either. I don't think they re-sign him if the Yanks fail to make the playoffs or don't go past the ALDS.
    I think he is a good not great manager. Not sure if there is such a thing as a great manager though. Maybe Buck.

    But if they are planning on austerity 2014 looks like a miss. And maybe 2013 and 2015 too. So don't hold it against Joe. It is time to reload anyway.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    258
    TBH, I really think IF we don't make it to the WS then there will be a slightly more vocal calling to get a new manager though he will likely be re-signed but if we crash out in a WC Game or ALDS, or if the worst comes to the worst repeat 2008 then the chances of him being offered a favorable contract will be great reduced or not offered at all.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieNYY View Post
    TBH, I really think IF we don't make it to the WS then there will be a slightly more vocal calling to get a new manager though he will likely be re-signed but if we crash out in a WC Game or ALDS, or if the worst comes to the worst repeat 2008 then the chances of him being offered a favorable contract will be great reduced or not offered at all.
    I agree. I saw so many lead of doubles and not being able to move the runner to third and leaving the pitcher out there until the lead is gone or his arm falls off. Joe will not be back. He has to manage better this year and make to to WS. I want Coney and with O'Neill. I love Buck but don't know if it will fit.

    Also, does anyone know if Kevin is working with ARod on his swing? (I really like Kevin and he did a great job off season before) ARod has to use a lighter back and shorten his swing. Everybody saw he could not get around a FB. If Brian says he will be back he has to change because he is killing us in the clean up.

    Lastly, why didn't Brian sign Kuroda to 2 years? We don't have a replacement and was solid. Andy may retire and his FB is gone.

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I agree. I saw so many lead of doubles and not being able to move the runner to third and leaving the pitcher out there until the lead is gone or his arm falls off. Joe will not be back. He has to manage better this year and make to to WS. I want Coney and with O'Neill. I love Buck but don't know if it will fit.

    Also, does anyone know if Kevin is working with ARod on his swing? (I really like Kevin and he did a great job off season before) ARod has to use a lighter back and shorten his swing. Everybody saw he could not get around a FB. If Brian says he will be back he has to change because he is killing us in the clean up.

    Lastly, why didn't Brian sign Kuroda to 2 years? We don't have a replacement and was solid. Andy may retire and his FB is gone.
    They do not want Kuroda in 2014. I thought he might have accepted the qualifying offer. But ok, I like getting 4 first round picks this season. They need the talent infusion.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    They do not want Kuroda in 2014. I thought he might have accepted the qualifying offer. But ok, I like getting 4 first round picks this season. They need the talent infusion.
    I want Brian's job. Now, we don't have a replacement for Kuroda (our #2)!!! Pineda? (heard he will not be ready Opening Day) 16 wins, 220 innings, 3.32 era (those are sweet), etc. This was a gamble with Nova.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •