Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Pineda is hopeless. I don't care if he ever comes back, because missing this long I doubt he will amount to anything anyway. He's over-rated, his 2011 was nothing special at all.
    How about trading him to Seattle for Montero? We need a catcher (too).

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Sounds like a plan.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Reports say Kuroda prefers to pitch in CA to be near his daughter. Think our chances of resigning Kuroda just went down.

Pineda is hopeless. I don't care if he ever comes back, because missing this long I doubt he will amount to anything anyway. He's over-rated, his 2011 was nothing special at all.
    I care if he comes back. If he doesn't, it means that the Yanks traded away the best position-player prospect they've had in a few years for nothing. What really burns me about that trade is that the Yanks are so unsettled at catcher. I know I've griped about this before, but I've been hearing about pitching and catching depth in the minors seemingly for years - yet none of it has materialized.

Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    I care if he comes back. If he doesn't, it means that the Yanks traded away the best position-player prospect they've had in a few years for nothing. What really burns me about that trade is that the Yanks are so unsettled at catcher. I know I've griped about this before, but I've been hearing about pitching and catching depth in the minors seemingly for years - yet none of it has materialized.
    What bothers me even more were the people who said the trade was great when it first happened. I was against it from the start, I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

An undo button would be nice on that one.

Montero did have a bad year and I have heard that the M's may be open to move him but I am sure it would take a lot more than Pineda.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    An undo button would be nice on that one.

Montero did have a bad year and I have heard that the M's may be open to move him but I am sure it would take a lot more than Pineda.
    Yes, you are correct. (I liked him so I followed him occassionally. Most important was it was his first year, he had a lot pressure on him to be the bat, and that stadium is not a good fit. I expect him to have a better year. That being said - He had a better year than Pineda and Martin. This trade has no possibbility and I am hoping for Romine at AS break.)

Yes, you are correct. (I liked him so I followed him occassionally. Most important was it was his first year, he had a lot pressure on him to be the bat, and that stadium is not a good fit. I expect him to have a better year. That being said - He had a better year than Pineda and Martin. This trade has no possibbility and I am hoping for Romine at AS break.)
    He had a better year than Pineda. Not Martin. You keep forgetting there are two sides of baseball offense and defense.

That being said - He had a better year than Pineda and Martin.
    Don't tell that to GiambiJuice and NJYankeeFan. They love Martin, and think his defense greatly makes up for his offense, which they say isn't too bad.

He had a better year than Pineda. Not Martin. You keep forgetting there are two sides of baseball offense and defense.
    I didn't even read your reply before I posted my last reply. How good am I?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    Gary Sanchez is coming along fine, the problem is that he's 18-19. If he keeps progressing as he has, he should arrive by 2014. As for the pitching, at this point I'm only excited about Jose Campos. Yanks should trade Manny and Dellin to some sap GM who's still buying high on either arm. Manny still has good potential, but Dellin isn't going to amount to much until he learns to throw more strikes.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Blog Entries
    I had a thought, why don't the Yanks look to Michael Bourne to play CF and move Granderson over to RF?
    I love everything Bourne brings to the table and is a much better table setter than what the Yanks currently have.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

why are you writing off pineda? there were a lot of pitchers who were injured and came back strong. he does have good stuff and if he stays healthy and commands the ball he can be a good pitcher.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

I didn't even read your reply before I posted my last reply. How good am I?
    That was good. Here though is an article on his defense:

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/10/est...framing-77384/

and another

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-2012-results/

Factor in that Martin had an a .311 OBP despite his .211 BA and you get a pretty good player. Not a star but an underrated contributor.

Blog Entries
    Don't tell that to GiambiJuice and NJYankeeFan. They love Martin, and think his defense greatly makes up for his offense, which they say isn't too bad.
    I never said that I love Martin!!! Go back and read my post. I said we could do much worse from the catcher position. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Blog Entries
    That was good. Here though is an article on his defense:

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/10/est...framing-77384/

and another

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-2012-results/

Factor in that Martin had an a .311 OBP despite his .211 BA and you get a pretty good player. Not a star but an underrated contributor.
    OK, I read the article. Framing is a factor. I loved Molina (rated higher) and also had a gun for an arm. He was much better defensively than Po but Po still could hit (not run) and drive in runs and Molina was our back up catcher. I watched so many games this year I feel we would do better with Cervelli than Martin as a starter (Steward was out of options so he can be backup). Brian did not make a qualifying offer because Martin would have accepted. Brian (reported) talking to Martin about a multiyear contract tells me Brian is clueless.

Blog Entries
    OK, I read the article. Framing is a factor. I loved Molina (rated higher) and also had a gun for an arm. He was much better defensively than Po but Po still could hit (not run) and drive in runs and Molina was our back up catcher. I watched so many games this year I feel we would do better with Cervelli than Martin as a starter (Steward was out of options so he can be backup). Brian did not make a qualifying offer because Martin would have accepted. Brian (reported) talking to Martin about a multiyear contract tells me Brian is clueless.
    Cervelli is a worse hitter AND a worse defender/thrower than Martin. I don't understand the love for Cervelli. Has anyone noticed that he is one of the worst in MLB in throwing out basestealers? Oh, and he can't hit a lick. His batting average might be better than Martin but it's all singles. He has no power whatsoever.

Kuroda signs a one year $15 million deal to stay with the Yankees.
    Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    I had a thought, why don't the Yanks look to Michael Bourne to play CF and move Granderson over to RF?
    I love everything Bourne brings to the table and is a much better table setter than what the Yanks currently have.
    I would not bet on him continuing to bring that. He is a very good player but will he stay a good player once he loses a step. He is also going to be expensive and the Yanks are looking to cut back. Cheaper to move Gardner to CF, Grandy to RF and get a LF.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    why are you writing off pineda? there were a lot of pitchers who were injured and came back strong. he does have good stuff and if he stays healthy and commands the ball he can be a good pitcher.
    Don't write him off, but shoulder surgery is far more serious than elbow surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggtone23 View Post
    Very good news. Now to see what Andy decides. If Andy does return do they package Hughes for an OF?

Wow that's a pleasant surprise as I thought someone here posted that he wanted to pitch in the West Coast as he will be that much closer to his kids in Japan.

I feel we would do better with Cervelli than Martin as a starter
    LOL

In 500+ AAA plate appearances Cervelli has a .248/.334/.323 line

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Tommy John surgery is a lot different than repairing a torn labrum

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...illed_him.html

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/4/25/29...w-york-yankees
    But Pineda has one of the few injuries in baseball that doesn't have a great history of recovery, nor does it have an exact timetable to follow. The shoulder is still a pitcher's worst nightmare

Very good news. Now to see what Andy decides. If Andy does return do they package Hughes for an OF?
    Most likely they would package Nova.

Blog Entries
    WOW. This is great news. This was the one guy I wanted back. Like Brian said: we were lucky to get him and waht he did and are lucky to have him this year. I am sure some teams offered him 2 years but did not see this coming. (As for Nova: it will depend on Andy. I really don't know what happened at the end of last season. He looked so good until then.)

(OK Crevelli is a back up but I like his helmit - it's looks like Spaceballs (great movie) I still don't want Martin back. Yes he has more HRs so does Grandy we need hits.)

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast