Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Russell Martin wants to play SS in the WBC. Interesting. He claims it is his most natural position and he has played 2b and 3b before as well.

I know it is a stretch but if he handles it in the WBC, might it be an option as an extra back up?? How much worse could he be then Jeter and Nunez??
    I just want him out of NY, I hope someone signs him before Cashman changes his mind.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Word is, Yanks signed Pettitte to a 1-year/$12M deal.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I just want him out of NY, I hope someone signs him before Cashman changes his mind.
    Last I heard, Yanks go 2 years but the Pirates may be willing to go 3 - stupid Pirates. IMO, Martin's an okay option as a fallback, but I'd hardly offer up $8M or so for multiple seasons.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Last I heard, Yanks go 2 years but the Pirates may be willing to go 3 - stupid Pirates. IMO, Martin's an okay option as a fallback, but I'd hardly offer up $8M or so for multiple seasons.
    Problem is what is the alternative.

I have been hearing three years. Maybe 4.

I would reluctantly go 3. I would like to see them get a good back up. Ideally Kotteras.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Mo is signed, Martin signed with the Pirates 2 years/$17 million. I wonder what the Yankees offer was.....

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Mo is signed, Martin signed with the Pirates 2 years/$17 million. I wonder what the Yankees offer was.....
    Apparently 2 for $12-$14. Discussions. No offer.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/11/ros...-martin-79817/

Happy Mo is back but it was expected and not re-upping Martin at that rate is a disgrace. It is not like we have any prospect that will be held back by not being up even in 2014.

Who is going to catch next year?

Ok. So seriously now, who catches, and by seriously I mean it is not going to be AJ Pierzynski, Mike Napoli or Jason Giambi.

1. Austin Romine. Probably the most talented/close to ready catcher on the team. Problem is the word "close". Yankees have always liked him. For some reason.
    2. Chris Stewart. No power. Can't hit. Won't take a walk. Other than the three points mentioned before little evidence that he is good defensively.
    3. Franki Cervelli. Well he can take a walk. But that is about it. In the minors they said he had good defense, but has not showed it in the majors.
    4. Non-tender candidates?
    a. George Kotteras. LH. Takes a walk. Small sample says he can frame pitches. Would have been my choice to back up Martin.
    b. Jesus Flores. Was once considered a talent.
    c. Geovany Soto. Used to hit. Key on "used to". Never could field.
    5. Trade possiblity? Who to go for? Who to give up? While I think this is how they go (and soon), I have no idea, who it would be?

Blog Entries
    Ok. So seriously now, who catches, and by seriously I mean it is not going to be AJ Pierzynski, Mike Napoli or Jason Giambi.

1. Austin Romine. Probably the most talented/close to ready catcher on the team. Problem is the word "close". Yankees have always liked him. For some reason.
    2. Chris Stewart. No power. Can't hit. Won't take a walk. Other than the three points mentioned before little evidence that he is good defensively.
    3. Franki Cervelli. Well he can take a walk. But that is about it. In the minors they said he had good defense, but has not showed it in the majors.
    4. Non-tender candidates?
    a. George Kotteras. LH. Takes a walk. Small sample says he can frame pitches. Would have been my choice to back up Martin.
    b. Jesus Flores. Was once considered a talent.
    c. Geovany Soto. Used to hit. Key on "used to". Never could field.
    5. Trade possiblity? Who to go for? Who to give up? While I think this is how they go (and soon), I have no idea, who it would be?
    I wonder if the Twins would give us Joe Mauer if we eat the whole contract.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    That would kill the $189 mm idea.

Plus I have heard he is not available, although that seems like a smoke screen / public relations ploy. How could you not want to deal John Olerud at that rate?

Would you have Tex catch?

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    That would be awesome, but I doubt it'll happen.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Would you bee happy with 200 hits and 12 home runs? Keep Gardner, try and trade Grandy.
    I would love to package Grandy for Joe Mauer if the Twins would pick up 5M/yr of that contract. This would be 18M for 6 yrs. This is the Twins and I still can not believe that contract they gave him. They say Joe is not on the market but that contract is a killer for them. I love Joe but that that contract is almost as bad as A Rod's. Glad Martin is gone because I don't have to watch him at the plate next year. I have no problem with Cervelli with Romine and DFA Steward. I do fill we should give Romine a shot. Heard Napoli wants 4 yrs (no way).

A Rod needs to be working with Kevin this off season!!!

With the Giants not likely to try to keep Wilson, do you think the Yankees should pursue him considering we could get him cheaply relatively( with performance based incentives) due to him coming off of injury to replace Soriano? If he returns to form coming off TJ surgery, we would be going, " Soriano who?". We would have great bullpen depth with Robertson-Rivera-Wilson like we had the last two years with Robertson-Rivera-Soriano.

Had Yasmani Grandal not gotten susended for 50 games this coming season, I think the Padres would have offered up Nick Hundley at a very reasonable cost simply to use the saved money on areas of need.

With the Giants not likely to try to keep Wilson, do you think the Yankees should pursue him considering we could get him cheaply relatively( with performance based incentives) due to him coming off of injury to replace Soriano? If he returns to form coming off TJ surgery, we would be going, " Soriano who?". We would have great bullpen depth with Robertson-Rivera-Wilson like we had the last two years with Robertson-Rivera-Soriano.
    Well the beard may be an issue.

I fully agree if he would be willing to set up but I doubt it. He will likely get a deal similar to Madsen's. Maybe better given more saves even if he looked off in 2011 before the injury (although that could have been a sign of the injury). I would rather have Soria if that is possible.

Overall, I think this is a non-need. If Rivera is healthy, Robertson can continue to be among the best set-up men in the game. Combine that with Aardsma and Chamberlain from the right and Logan and Rapada from the left, you have a ridiculous bullpen. Don't forget Montgomery and Whitley in the minors. At some point Betances could also be included in that discussion. Rather find a catcher.

Had Yasmani Grandal not gotten susended for 50 games this coming season, I think the Padres would have offered up Nick Hundley at a very reasonable cost simply to use the saved money on areas of need.
    I agree Hundley was available. He did not have a confidence inspiring year but it would have been a nice pick up and one I had not thought of. Of course I really just started thinking about this seriously after the Yanks got outbid by the Pirates.

If it could have been done as part of a much bigger deal where the Yanks also landed Headley, it would have been that much better.

Well the beard may be an issue.

I fully agree if he would be willing to set up but I doubt it. He will likely get a deal similar to Madsen's. Maybe better given more saves even if he looked off in 2011 before the injury (although that could have been a sign of the injury). I would rather have Soria if that is possible.

Overall, I think this is a non-need. If Rivera is healthy, Robertson can continue to be among the best set-up men in the game. Combine that with Aardsma and Chamberlain from the right and Logan and Rapada from the left, you have a ridiculous bullpen. Don't forget Montgomery and Whitley in the minors. At some point Betances could also be included in that discussion. Rather find a catcher.
    Aardsma and Chamberlain are still recovering from injury. I can't believe how much love Chamberlain still gets. People are clinging onto 2007 Joba too much( not to mention the starter wet dream). We can't trust anyone besides Robertson in the pen right now. Mo is coming off an injury( though it wasn't an injury critical to his pitching talent, and along with his age, can't be an automatic return to form assumption).

Wilson is a risk as well, but we need to add someone to the pen that can shut down batters. Not a reliever that was dominant in his debut, but then became an average reliever( Joba), not someone who can't control his pitches( Betances), and people not even close to being ready to pitch in the majors.

Aardsma and Chamberlain are still recovering from injury. I can't believe how much love Chamberlain still gets. People are clinging onto 2007 Joba too much( not to mention the starter wet dream). We can't trust anyone besides Robertson in the pen right now. Mo is coming off an injury( though it wasn't an injury critical to his pitching talent, and along with his age, can't be an automatic return to form assumption).

Wilson is a risk as well, but we need to add someone to the pen that can shut down batters. Not a reliever that was dominant in his debut, but then became an average reliever( Joba), not someone who can't control his pitches( Betances), and people not even close to being ready to pitch in the majors.
    Aardsma and Joba are both further removed from their injury than Wilson or Soria for that matter.

Joba did well towards the end of the year. Expecting him to come back 100% right away was unreasonable. No one should have ever expected him to repeat his rookie season, anymore than anyone should have expected Robertson to repeat his 2011. But Joba is an effective reliever. With only 1 year left as a Yankee, might as well use him that way now. Aardsma is a very good 4th rightty out of the pen, even if he is only 80% of his old self.

Then look at what the Yanks have in the minors.

Why waste limited resources on this?

And by the way Wilson was by no means a shut down reliever in 2011. He had a couple of nice years in 2009-10. So thinking he is a sure thing is really foolish.

@Joelsherman1

Surgery will be done early in new year, recuperation time is 3-6 months. #Yankees hope A-Rod is back in June as a full player.

@Buster_ESPN

To follow up on Joel Sherman's report on Alex Rodriguez: Hip surgery has been recommended for him, to take place in January.

Ouch.

@Joelsherman1

Surgery will be done early in new year, recuperation time is 3-6 months. #Yankees hope A-Rod is back in June as a full player.

@Buster_ESPN

To follow up on Joel Sherman's report on Alex Rodriguez: Hip surgery has been recommended for him, to take place in January.

Ouch.
    Very bad news in that there are not a lot of options out there. Maybe good news if he gets it fixed and that was the problem at the end of the year.

Yanks need to make a trade for a 3b. I think they should move Phil Hughes + something for Chase Headley. I would not give up Hughes and a top 5 prospect for 1 year of Headley but he could be a long term solution. Hughes would excel in the big ballpark in San Diego (even if they bring the fences in some). Plus he is from CA and I think this would be his last year as a Yankee anyway.

Blog Entries
    Very bad news in that there are not a lot of options out there. Maybe good news if he gets it fixed and that was the problem at the end of the year.

Yanks need to make a trade for a 3b. I think they should move Phil Hughes + something for Chase Headley. I would not give up Hughes and a top 5 prospect for 1 year of Headley but he could be a long term solution. Hughes would excel in the big ballpark in San Diego (even if they bring the fences in some). Plus he is from CA and I think this would be his last year as a Yankee anyway.
    Re-signing Eric Chavez seems like a no-brainer now - his hitless postseason and inability to hit LHP notwithstanding.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast