Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 574

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    So the Yanks have let True Yankee go before????

    If Cano wants an A-Rod contract then they should let him go too. I have always liked him but we see how those deals end.

    I would move him to third now but they won't.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying the Yanks usually do things that way. If Cano wants 10 years, 275 million trade him now. He's not that good. Almost no one is.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    I would not go more than 5 years or 100 mil for anybody, especially a player over 30 yrs old. Cano would get 5 yrs at 16-18-20-22-24 mil, 100 mil total. I would also not give any player an opt-out. The players union and agents have grown too strong. Thanks, marvin miller.
    Then Cano will be wearing a new jersey in 2014.

    I do not necessarily disagree with you, especially for a 2b, a position that has aged poorly overall. But someone will make him a big offer.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    When will Jeter step up and say "I'll play 3B". If Yanks really believe that Nunez is their future SS, then lets see him play every day. Anything to keep youkilis away.
    That's not his job, it's management's.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    When will Jeter step up and say "I'll play 3B". If Yanks really believe that Nunez is their future SS, then lets see him play every day. Anything to keep youkilis away.
    Agree with the Giambino on this one. He wouldn't move for A-Rod, he won't move for Nunez.

    He should, but he won't. I really am not certain how he would do at third. His reaction time is not the best, but it would require less range and he has the arm for it. If it goes well, when A-Rod comes back, maybe he can play RF. It sounds better than our alternatives, including Youk.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    11,398
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    The players union and agents have grown too strong. Thanks, marvin miller.
    I'll never understand comments like this one. Would you rather the Steinbrenners pocket the extra money? Why should players not earn as much as they can on the open market?
    "There has always been a saying in baseball that you can't make a hitter, but I think you can improve a hitter. More than you can improve a fielder. More mistakes are made hitting than in any other part of the game."
    - Ted Williams

    "I know I'm the world's worst fielder, but who gets paid for fielding? There isn't a great fielder in baseball getting the kind of dough I get paid for hitting."
    - Dick Stuart

  6. #206
    Ronnie Mustelier?

    Ok. I know he is not going to be a star but he can play (at least fake) 3B and RF. He is RH. Hits with power (.497 SLG in two minor league seasons). Gets on base (.378 OBP). Why not give him a shot?

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=mustel000---

    I would feel better about him at 3b or in a platoon in RF with Dickerson than I would with Chris Stewart catching.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Ladies and gentleman, we have entered the Josh Hamilton talks!

    http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/07/ya...?sct=mlb_t2_a4
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Double post.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Ladies and gentleman, we have entered the Josh Hamilton talks!

    http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/07/ya...?sct=mlb_t2_a4
    I also heard this on sports talk. Texas is going in another direction with Upton (trade) and it's not a long term contract (great at 3 years). This will impact Ellsbury and Cano. BoSox are trying to trade Eallsbury now for pitching (tried to get Cliff Lee and sure they talk to Rays). This would be nice for me but not Hal. Brian has to get approval.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Far NE Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,500
    I think the Yankees need to treat ARod as pretty much lost for the season. 4-6 month recovery time is a wide window, but I'm assuming four months is if you're in your 20s while six is more where he's at in age. I saw Ryan Howard and Chase Utley come back after their recovery times were up near the AS break and neither looked strong the rest of the way. Major surgery to the lower body can be a killer on a player - especially and aged one.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Ladies and gentleman, we have entered the Josh Hamilton talks!

    http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/07/ya...?sct=mlb_t2_a4
    I might like this. If the contract is structured with lots of vesting options. It might be able to be done in a manner that would not blow up the budget in 2014. Let's say he wants 5 - 125. Fine.

    2013 - 15 mm
    2014 - 15 mm
    2015 Vesting Option based on 250 games played the prior two years and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2016 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2017 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm.

    Added a couple mm extra to account for slight present value of first two years at a discount. I think that would work for the salary cap issues. Not 100% positive though.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    I might like this. If the contract is structured with lots of vesting options. It might be able to be done in a manner that would not blow up the budget in 2014. Let's say he wants 5 - 125. Fine.

    2013 - 15 mm
    2014 - 15 mm
    2015 Vesting Option based on 250 games played the prior two years and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2016 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2017 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm.

    Added a couple mm extra to account for slight present value of first two years at a discount. I think that would work for the salary cap issues. Not 100% positive though.
    I heard most teams are at 3 - 4 years around 80-100. I like that better than any 33M/yr. Can't they give bonuses that will not count?

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    I might like this. If the contract is structured with lots of vesting options. It might be able to be done in a manner that would not blow up the budget in 2014. Let's say he wants 5 - 125. Fine.

    2013 - 15 mm
    2014 - 15 mm
    2015 Vesting Option based on 250 games played the prior two years and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2016 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2017 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm.

    Added a couple mm extra to account for slight present value of first two years at a discount. I think that would work for the salary cap issues. Not 100% positive though.
    He's not signing for $30 million guaranteed.

  14. #214
    I think it will take at least 6 years 150 millions to sign him (not that I think this would be an intelligent signing).
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mount Sinai,Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I'll never understand comments like this one. Would you rather the Steinbrenners pocket the extra money? Why should players not earn as much as they can on the open market?
    As much as I can't stand the steinbrenners, why shouldn't they pocket the money? They OWN the organization. The players are employees. I understand that the fans are paying to see the players play, but lets be reasonable with the salaries and ticket prices. A large portion of the money comes from television contracts, which is why the games are now 3 hours instead of two. Longer games, more advertisements, more concessions sold. I have no doubt that players are told to step out of the box and fiddle with their batting gloves after every pitch. "Listen Jeter, the longer the game goes on, the more money you'll make". The players should make big bucks, but not so much that the best seats in the house cost hundreds of dollars. I'm thinking from a fans point of view, and I wish that my fellow fans would stop foolishly paying so much for tickets. It's an old argument, and if it didn't happen after the strike in '94 then it will never happen. I cancelled my ticket plan back then, but someone else bought it a minute later. I'll never understand thinking like that--"Screw me over, I'll gladly pay for it"!
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    He's not signing for $30 million guaranteed.
    Probably not. Unless he is very confident he could meet the options and no one else offers him a better alternative.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    As much as I can't stand the steinbrenners, why shouldn't they pocket the money? They OWN the organization. The players are employees. I understand that the fans are paying to see the players play, but lets be reasonable with the salaries and ticket prices. A large portion of the money comes from television contracts, which is why the games are now 3 hours instead of two. Longer games, more advertisements, more concessions sold. I have no doubt that players are told to step out of the box and fiddle with their batting gloves after every pitch. "Listen Jeter, the longer the game goes on, the more money you'll make". The players should make big bucks, but not so much that the best seats in the house cost hundreds of dollars. I'm thinking from a fans point of view, and I wish that my fellow fans would stop foolishly paying so much for tickets. It's an old argument, and if it didn't happen after the strike in '94 then it will never happen. I cancelled my ticket plan back then, but someone else bought it a minute later. I'll never understand thinking like that--"Screw me over, I'll gladly pay for it"!
    this might be true. I think the same happens sometimes in boxing. here in europe the klitschko brothers are very popular. but of course the heavyweight division sucks so they have to really try hard to not knock their opponents out early and so that their TV station can sell more commericial breaks. they are making like 10 million bucks per fight so their station wants some commecials to pay them.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    11,398
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    As much as I can't stand the steinbrenners, why shouldn't they pocket the money? They OWN the organization. The players are employees. I understand that the fans are paying to see the players play, but lets be reasonable with the salaries and ticket prices. A large portion of the money comes from television contracts, which is why the games are now 3 hours instead of two. Longer games, more advertisements, more concessions sold. I have no doubt that players are told to step out of the box and fiddle with their batting gloves after every pitch. "Listen Jeter, the longer the game goes on, the more money you'll make". The players should make big bucks, but not so much that the best seats in the house cost hundreds of dollars. I'm thinking from a fans point of view, and I wish that my fellow fans would stop foolishly paying so much for tickets. It's an old argument, and if it didn't happen after the strike in '94 then it will never happen. I cancelled my ticket plan back then, but someone else bought it a minute later. I'll never understand thinking like that--"Screw me over, I'll gladly pay for it"!
    Can you provide any evidence that lowering player salaries would reduce ticket prices?
    "There has always been a saying in baseball that you can't make a hitter, but I think you can improve a hitter. More than you can improve a fielder. More mistakes are made hitting than in any other part of the game."
    - Ted Williams

    "I know I'm the world's worst fielder, but who gets paid for fielding? There isn't a great fielder in baseball getting the kind of dough I get paid for hitting."
    - Dick Stuart

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mount Sinai,Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,397
    Yes. When the highest paid players made $100,000, the ticket prices ranged from $1.50 to $4.00. Now the highest paid players make 25-30 million and prices range from $15.00 to $1,500. Of course when owners try to reign in salaries, they are accused of collusion.
    Last edited by The Monument; 12-10-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Yes. When the highest paid players made $100,000, the ticket prices ranged from $1.50 to $4.00. Now the highest paid players make 25-30 million and prices range from $15.00 to $1,500. Of course when owners try to reign in salaries, they are accused of collusion.
    Correlation does not prove causation. Player salaries do not drive ticket prices. Demand drives ticket prices.

    If there is the same demand, they will charge the same price. Regardless of whether the payroll is $215mm, $189 mm or $15 mm.

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Looks like Ichiro is likely coming back:

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...gn-ichiro.html
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mount Sinai,Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,397
    Yes, if fans continue to pay the prices, the prices will remain high.Of course owners will charge what the market will bear. But you can't tell me that those prices have nothing to do with salaries.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

  23. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Yes, if fans continue to pay the prices, the prices will remain high.Of course owners will charge what the market will bear. But you can't tell me that those prices have nothing to do with salaries.
    So you are telling me the owners would charge less if they paid less in salary and demand to go the games was the same? They would just leave money on the table out of the kindness of their hearts??

    The only relation that salaries play to ticket prices is that in bringing in star players at high salaries you should be able to field a better more interesting team and generate more demand for tickets.

    Or you could be the Pirates.

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    949
    Blog Entries
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Yes. When the highest paid players made $100,000, the ticket prices ranged from $1.50 to $4.00. Now the highest paid players make 25-30 million and prices range from $15.00 to $1,500. Of course when owners try to reign in salaries, they are accused of collusion.
    I worked in a Boston hotel for close to 5 years. A single room during the slowest week in January went for $69. During college graduation weeks in Boston the very same room went for $349. There was the occasional empty room in January, there was a waiting list in May. It was a 40 room boutique hotel. There is only a slight relationship between price and payroll. if payroll goes down, and it does more often than you think; prices do not decline. the market is the primary determinate.

    Oh yeah Monument, TV used to be free.

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Looks like Ichiro is likely coming back:

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...gn-ichiro.html
    Wow I'm surprised, I didn't think the NYY were interested.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •