Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Josh Hamilton getting 5 yrs/125 mil from the Angels makes me think that the Yanks can sign Cano for 5 yrs at a little less than 125m.
    How do you figure? Cano is younger and much less prone to injuries.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    How do you figure? Cano is younger and much less prone to injuries.
    Plus he's not a junkie.

Age and skills aside, Hamilton is the bigger star.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Age and skills aside, Hamilton is the bigger star.
    Bigger name. Not better player or risk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Apparently the Yankees are engaged in trade talks with the Angels for Vernon Wells.

Why would we take on that bad contract for a crappy player like that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Apparently the Yankees are engaged in trade talks with the Angels for Vernon Wells.

I don't want him!!!! I still am stunned they got Hamilton but they have too many OFers and would love to move Vernon Wells. He is a back up making 21M/yr for 2 yrs. I worry when I hear this and knowing Brian (please say no unless they pick up 30M). We paid a lot for Youk (13M) but that was one year. I would rather have Ichiro for 2 years.

(I really don't see Cano around Hamilton contract and he may be gone because of the cap.)

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

I think the idea is the Angels would pay almost all of the contract. If that is the idea, then why not. He is RH and can fake all three OF spots. I would rather look at Scott Van Slyke but who knows, maybe Wells turns it around.

Yankees' righthanded hitting platooner at LF/DH of the last two years, Andruw Jones has supposedly signed a contract to play in Japan next year. He's a little young to be out of the major leagues by today's standards. Isn't he only going to turn 36 next April?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Yankees' righthanded hitting platooner at LF/DH of the last two years, Andruw Jones has supposedly signed a contract to play in Japan next year. He's a little young to be out of the major leagues by today's standards. Isn't he only going to turn 36 next April?
    Yes, he sign the Japan contract for 3.5M (we paid 1.5M and 2M and Dodgers 6M for 2 yrs). I wish him the best but boy he was underperforming in our back up role. Unreal, don't really understand it. I think there was one series with Boston he hit like 3 HRs but may have been it. Wouldn't it be ironic if Brian signed Veron Wells as his replacement.

Why not look at Johnny Damon? I'll take him over Wells.

Why not look at Johnny Damon? I'll take him over Wells.
    Damon is left-handed, so are all the other Yankees OFers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Damon is left-handed, so are all the other Yankees OFers
    Damon can't reach home plate from short left field, even with two bounces. He has the worst outfield arm I've ever seen.

Why is this Ichiro signing taking so long to be official? I'm so nervous that they change their mind, come on and sign already.

Why is this Ichiro signing taking so long to be official? I'm so nervous that they change their mind, come on and sign already.
    Because he is currently in Japan and needs to pass a physical here in the U.S. Just curious, do you read any newspapers or watch MLB network or ESPN? B ecause a lot of your questions, like the Damon question above, seem to have obvious answers to anyone who follows the team. Not breaking chops, just wondering.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Because he is currently in Japan and needs to pass a physical here in the U.S. Just curious, do you read any newspapers or watch MLB network or ESPN? B ecause a lot of your questions, like the Damon question above, seem to have obvious answers to anyone who follows the team. Not breaking chops, just wondering.
    I read stuff several times a day and even have the NY Yankee news app on my phone for updates. The Damon question was not a real question, more sarcasm because they were looking at older players who can't hit. Also, nowhere have I read that the Ichiro signing is official and he's just in Japan and waiting on a physical here. Please provide a link.

The Ichiro signing is now official as of yesterday. 2 years for 13 million. How do you guys feel about this? I like it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb.../?sct=uk_t2_a5

The Ichiro signing is now official as of yesterday. 2 years for 13 million. How do you guys feel about this? I like it.

Incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Incomprehensible.
    You wouldn't even support a one year deal, would you? How about you, GiambiJuice?

You wouldn't even support a one year deal, would you? How about you, GiambiJuice?
    One year for $2-3 million? Maybe. Thing is he does not fit this team.

Pierzynski to Rangers

Looks like the Rangers are going to sign Pierzynski to a 1 year deal.

Another catcher off the board. After they already got Soto.

Blog Entries

Finally. I like it, too. I was worried like that post earlier "took too long" and glad it's over. He did better than I expected last year. I know he's 39 and lost a step but I loved Rickey Henderson and those players are rare. (as for amount - Brian gave 13M for Youk for one year so that says it all) I loved that play where he did that flip and was safe last year. Gardner - Grandy - Ichiro is not bad. Surprise Swisher did not sign with Cleveland and BoSox gave Shane so much. Now sign Ibanez as back up. Heard Nap failed his physical with the BoSox so that deal may be deal. Good back up at catcher and first base.

Blog Entries
    Maybe 1 year for $5 million.

He's a shell of his former self.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Maybe 1 year for $5 million.

He's a shell of his former self.
    Relating a player to his former self isn't a good way to determine his value.

Relating him to the other players in the league is. He produced 2.4 WAR last seasons which was 'worth' about $12 million. If you think he's going to be less than half as productive this season he may be worth only $5 million. It appears the Yankees believe he'll be about as productive in 2013 and 2014 as he was in 2012.

Bill James' projections agree.
    Ichiro 2012: .307/.390 (OBP/SLG)
    Ichiro 2013 projection: .331/.370

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Relating a player to his former self isn't a good way to determine his value.

Relating him to the other players in the league is. He produced 2.4 WAR last seasons which was 'worth' about $12 million. If you think he's going to be less than half as productive this season he may be worth only $5 million. It appears the Yankees believe he'll be about as productive in 2013 and 2014 as he was in 2012.

Bill James' projections agree.
    Ichiro 2012: .307/.390 (OBP/SLG)
    Ichiro 2013 projection: .331/.370
    Sorry, I didn't realize Fangraphs WAR was perfect and infallible. Also, B-Ref has him at 1.6 last season. Quite a difference.

In 2011 and 2012 combined, Ichiro has an an OBP of .308 and an OPS+ of 90. Those numbers just don't cut it for a right fielder. I don't care how many bases he steals. He's still decent defensively, but hard to quantify as dWAR is so unreliable it's not even worth discussing.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 12-21-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize WAR was perfect and infallible.
    It's not.

It's better than 'he's a shell of his former self', though

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast