Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Yanks have signed Matt Diaz to a minor league deal with a non-roster invite. Could be a very good lefty masher if healthy. Not much of a defender and the if healthy is a big if.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Yanks have signed Matt Diaz to a minor league deal with a non-roster invite. Could be a very good lefty masher if healthy. Not much of a defender and the if healthy is a big if.
    He's awful. Over the last three years, his OPS+ was 77, 68, and 65. Yuck, go after Manny instead.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    He's awful. Over the last three years, his OPS+ was 77, 68, and 65. Yuck, go after Manny instead.
    wRC+ vs lefties over the last 3 seasons 104

In his career his wRC+ vs lefties is 127

With an OF of Granderson-L, Gardner-L and Ichiro-L he's there to hit lefties, that's it

And, it's a minor league deal...he's just an option
    Last edited by filihok; 12-26-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    wRC+ vs lefties over the last 3 seasons 104

In his career his wRC+ vs lefties is 127

With an OF of Granderson-L, Gardner-L and Ichiro-L he's there to hit lefties, that's it

And, it's a minor league deal...he's just an option
    Plus the last three years he was dealing with hand injuries. Can't swing to well if you can't hold the bat. Not likely he gets back to his old self, but if he does he could be an excellent add.

Blog Entries
    Plus the last three years he was dealing with hand injuries. Can't swing to well if you can't hold the bat. Not likely he gets back to his old self, but if he does he could be an excellent add.
    It's a shot. Numbers seem to be on decline. But I am just happy to see something done for a back up. Do we have a secret OFer in the farm system I don't know? Jones and Ibanez are gone and they were our back ups. The thumb really hurt Youk and A Rod so that's big. Most can come back but it takes months. I am not a Provano prayer in this.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    It's a shot. Numbers seem to be on decline. But I am just happy to see something done for a back up. Do we have a secret OFer in the farm system I don't know? Jones and Ibanez are gone and they were our back ups. The thumb really hurt Youk and A Rod so that's big. Most can come back but it takes months. I am not a Provano prayer in this.
    Dickerson is a good back up but being left handed is not a good fit with Gardner, Grandy and Suzuki.

Melky Mesa would likely be an ok back up. Maybe Zoilo Almonte but I would like to see him get another year of seasoning.

Having Gardner and Suzuki in the corners means we do not really need a back up cf. So we could get another righty with power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries
    Dickerson is a good back up but being left handed is not a good fit with Gardner, Grandy and Suzuki.

Melky Mesa would likely be an ok back up. Maybe Zoilo Almonte but I would like to see him get another year of seasoning.

Having Gardner and Suzuki in the corners means we do not really need a back up cf. So we could get another righty with power.

Thanks. I asked my "expert scout" who follows the Dominician Winter Ball. He told me Melky is a great back up and is doing well in DR. This is really great news because I want to see youth. We have to start another "Got Melk" line. (good move by Toronto regardless what MLB said). I would like to see our Melky on the starting roster this Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Thanks. I asked my "expert scout" who follows the Dominician Winter Ball. He told me Melky is a great back up and is doing well in DR. This is really great news because I want to see youth. We have to start another "Got Melk" line. (good move by Toronto regardless what MLB said). I would like to see our Melky on the starting roster this Spring.
    I would rather have 2 Melky's than one Ichiro.

Well, you've got one Melky and one Ichiro.

And Melky doesn't look that good. Huge strike out issues, hasn't been a great minor league hitter.

Yanks just claimed Russ Canzler and DFA'd Dickerson.

I like Dickerson more than Canzler but Canzler is a better fit. Would have been ideal to keep Dickerson and sign a righty RF instead of Suzuki, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Well, you've got one Melky and one Ichiro.

And Melky doesn't look that good. Huge strike out issues, hasn't been a great minor league hitter.
    Unfortunately neither does Suzuki and he is on a two year contract.

Yanks just claimed Russ Canzler and DFA'd Dickerson.

I like Dickerson more than Canzler but Canzler is a better fit. Would have been ideal to keep Dickerson and sign a righty RF instead of Suzuki, but . . .
    Well hopefully Dickerson clears waivers so he can be assigned to Triple A. But, I think someone will claim him.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Well hopefully Dickerson clears waivers so he can be assigned to Triple A. But, I think someone will claim him.
    I was surprised he cleared last year. Doubt it. He could help several teams. Definitely the Dodgers.

I think we should have went after the real Melky.

For once we agree. Would have been a great fit.

For once we agree. Would have been a great fit.

Yeah, good and cheap. Plus the roids won't wear off completely for another year, so I think he'll do fine in 2013. Fantasy baseball is coming, he could be a late round steal.

To me, he was the best signing of the offseason based on dollars-risk-reward.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    To me, he was the best signing of the offseason based on dollars-risk-reward.
    I totally agree. Got to give the Blue Jays GM credit - he had the best off season. I always liked Melky and think he made a mistake but he's good and I feel got something to prove. Their top of the line up is upreal. Can't beleive they got Dickey, too. I still want to see our Melky on the roster and don't think they have a place for Dickerson (good earlier post) so it's good he move on. I only hope they hire Valentine like the BoSox did.

Yanks heavy players along with nearly a dozen teams for Mike Morse. Nice RH bat with only one year left on deal for $7M.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Just marking time until Rupert Murdoch takes full control which means Levine will be out. Stinks of CBS running team on life support, budget will keep going down....
    Last edited by WEB; 01-09-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Okay, WEB..

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Yanks heavy players along with nearly a dozen teams for Mike Morse. Nice RH bat with only one year left on deal for $7M.
    Morse could be a good fit. RH without a bad platoon split. Hits the ball well the other way so Yankee Stadium should be ok for him. Injury prone and terrible defensively. No patience. But a good fit nonetheless. The contract is fair if not a bargain.

Boone Logan and Adam Warren?

What do you think it would take to acquire both Morse and Kurt Suzuki or Ramos? Would you give up a Phelps or a Nova?
    "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."-Ernest Hemingway

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jgangstahippie View Post
    What do you think it would take to acquire both Morse and Kurt Suzuki or Ramos? Would you give up a Phelps or a Nova?
    Kurt Suzuki is godawful. I don't want him anywhere near this team. He is no better than Cervelli at the plate and another thing he has in common with Cervelli is that he's terrible at throwing out base stealers. I believe he has one of the worst CS% over the past few years. And he's going to make over $6 million in 2013 compared with a few hundred grand for Cervelli.

I'm no fan of Cervelli - far from it. But Suzuki is just as bad at > 10x the price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Kurt Suzuki is godawful. I don't want him anywhere near this team. He is no better than Cervelli at the plate and another thing he has in common with Cervelli is that he's terrible at throwing out base stealers. I believe he has one of the worst CS% over the past few years. And he's going to make over $6 million in 2013 compared with a few hundred grand for Cervelli.

I'm no fan of Cervelli - far from it. But Suzuki is just as bad at > 10x the price.
    I am glad they are giving Cervelli the spot for him to lose. (I have more faith in being a back up but we will find out) I did not like Martin at what he got. It will be an interesting ST. I would love to see Romine as the back up. I heard AJ only got 7.5M and I think that's a bargain. Finally got a date (1/16) for A Rod I still can't believe this delay. RGIII already had his. There is another young catcher in our system so we'll see.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast