Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I am glad they are giving Cervelli the spot for him to lose. (I have more faith in being a back up but we will find out) I did not like Martin at what he got. It will be an interesting ST. I would love to see Romine as the back up. I heard AJ only got 7.5M and I think that's a bargain. Finally got a date (1/16) for A Rod I still can't believe this delay. RGIII already had his. There is another young catcher in our system so we'll see.
    Gary Sanchez? I liked him better than Montero...but he won't get real mention until maybe 2014.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Sanchez is not going to be ready.
    Stewart is terrible.
    Romine is probably not ready.
    Cervelli has shown very little and is now showing he does not care to compete for the job by going to the WBC.

The A's just DFA'd Kotteras. Get him!!

I wish we would have gotten Morse but honestly lucking into Kotteras might be better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Stewart is terrible.
    Cervelli has shown very little and is now showing he does not care to compete for the job by going to the WBC.

I wish we would have gotten Morse but honestly lucking into Kotteras might be better.
    I think Cervelli played WBC every year and may help. Heard he got hit in the head again! I agree with Stewart and hope Romine is our back up. As for Sanchez I hope he our answer but it's too early. Forget Kotteras, I do feel Cervelli is better.

Blog Entries
    Stewart is terrible.

Right, like I said 2014 for a cup of coffee. 2014, is banking that he doesn't get hurt and he keeps progressing like he has.
    If anything he'll could be ready by 2015 Opening Day.

Romine has to be ready, he's been a Top Prospect for 3-4 years now. I know injuries have set him back but if ever there was a time for him to step up and take this role, it's now! There's no big time free agent catcher in the mix and there isn't a Top Prospect Catcher ahead of him on the depth chart. His time is now.

Cervelli is a nice guy to have on your team has he can hit in some pressure situations and he does provide plenty of spark for his team, but he's probably the guy you want as a backup.

Kotteras? Why? Why in the world would you want him?? He's a career .200 who throws out about 15% of would be base stealers. I'd much rather go with the guy already on the team. Cervelli's a .271 hitter who's throws out 20% of runners....at half the price. At least with Romine you could be building towards something that may have value, with Kotteras you already know what you get and he's just a warm body quite frankly.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    Romine has to be ready, he's been a Top Prospect for 3-4 years now. I know injuries have set him back but if ever there was a time for him to step up and take this role, it's now! There's no big time free agent catcher in the mix and there isn't a Top Prospect Catcher ahead of him on the depth chart. His time is now.
    What does the availability of other players have to do with Romine's development?
    He only had 200 PA's last season.

Cervelli is a nice guy to have on your team has he can hit in some pressure situations and he does provide plenty of spark for his team, but he's probably the guy you want as a backup.
    In Cervelli's major league career, he's hit .313/.289 in high-leverage situations. That's a .275 wOBA which is about 40% worse than league average.

Kotteras? Why? Why in the world would you want him?? He's a career .200 who throws out about 15% of would be base stealers. I'd much rather go with the guy already on the team. Cervelli's a .271 hitter who's throws out 20% of runners....at half the price. At least with Romine you could be building towards something that may have value, with Kotteras you already know what you get and he's just a warm body quite frankly.
    Because Romine's probably not ready.
    Because batting average does a terrible job of indicating offense.
    Cervelli has a career .339 OBP. He's made 389 (B-R outs minus CS) outs in 562 PA's. That's 484 outs per 700 PA's
    Kottaras has a career .320 OBP. He's made 485 outs in 694 PA's. That's 489 outs per 700 PA's

Cervelli has a .353 SLG and Kottaras has a .412 SLG.

Kottaras is the better hitter.

The best thing to do would be a platoon
    Kottaras vs L: .336/.323 - 14% worse than league average
    Cervelli vs R: .305/.336 - 28% worse than league average

Kottaras vs R: .315/.436 - league average
    Cervelli vs L: .414/.393 - 25% better than league average

So no talk on A-Rod's hip? I hear it went well. You guys think he makes it back right after the ASB?
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Kottaras vs R: .315/.436 - league average
    Cervelli vs L: .414/.393 - 25% better than league average
    This ^^^^

It could be a nice cheap platoon and would serve to get rid of Stewart.

Question: Let's say Jeter doesn't invoke his player option because he plays really well again after this season and wants a bigger pay day than his $8 million option. So the question is with the Yankees wanting to get below $189 million next year, what happens if they have the choice to retain Jeter( the face of the franchise) or retain Cano(the rising star of the franchise)? Who would you choose to keep and let the other walk?

My choice is Cano. Sorry Jeter, I like you, but have to go with the younger power bat that is also very good defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Question: Let's say Jeter doesn't invoke his player option because he plays really well again after this season and wants a bigger pay day than his $8 million option. So the question is with the Yankees wanting to get below $189 million next year, what happens if they have the choice to retain Jeter( the face of the franchise) or retain Cano(the rising star of the franchise)? Who would you choose to keep and let the other walk?

My choice is Cano. Sorry Jeter, I like you, but have to go with the younger power bat that is also very good defensively.
    Jeter. 4,000 supersedes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Jeter. 4,000 supersedes anything.
    You would let the teams best player* walk just to have the small chance of Jeter reaching 4,000 hits as a Yankee?

*Up to debate of course.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    You would let the teams best player* walk just to have the small chance of Jeter reaching 4,000 hits as a Yankee?

*Up to debate of course.
    Well, *I* would personally sign them both. Do you think the 189 limit is absolute? For players like these two, I think Hank and Hal will make some exceptions.

Well, *I* would personally sign them both. Do you think the 189 limit is absolute? For players like these two, I think Hank and Hal will make some exceptions.
    I would sign them both as well. And the question assumes the $189 million limit is absolute for the sake of getting an answer instead of, " They will fudge the limit to resign both".

Has anyone found it odd for A-Rod to have his surgery in January instead of, say, November?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Has anyone found it odd for A-Rod to have his surgery in January instead of, say, November?
    No, considering that the doctors recommended that he rehab and strengthen the hip before surgery. Arod didn't decide on his own to have it in Jan.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Lohud: Jennings: Yankees have no interest in Kottaras

Was told today that the Yankees have no interest in C George Kottaras, who was recently DFA by Oakland.

CAIRO says Kottaras would project to hit around .235/.330/.416 as a Yankee. More importantly than that, he’d project to have a wOBA of .334 vs. RHP, in contract to Francisco Cervelli’s projected wOBA of .292 vs. RHP and Chris Stewart’s projected wOBA of .283 vs. RHP. About 400 of the Yankees 619 catcher PAs last season came against RHP. Here’s the difference in run value over 400 PA with those numbers.

.334 vs. .292 = 14
    .334 vs. .283 = 17

Is it possible defense nullifies that gap? It’s possible, but I also think it’s doubtful.

I really don’t get this team.
    http://www.rlyw.net/

I don't get Cashman either.

Cervelli could actually be servicable in a platoon. Maybe Stewart could too. But not full time. Kotteras makes a real nice platoon player. Yes his defense is supposedly subpar, but I think I recall him framing well (BP is down this AM).

Why would a team opt to go with Chris Stewart when there are other alternatives???

Move Jeter to Rf. Play Nunez.
    Cannot see that happening and would be reversed the first time Nunez threw the ball only vaguely in the direction of first base. Which would probably in his first game. He could become a prime candidate for Knoblauch-itis. Just can't see that move at all, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sandlot View Post
    He could become a prime candidate for Knoblauch-itis.
    Based on what?

He's a poor defensive player, and especially thrower, but Knoblauch's issue was more of a 'condition' than just not being good at throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by sandlot View Post
    Cannot see that happening and would be reversed the first time Nunez threw the ball only vaguely in the direction of first base. Which would probably in his first game. He could become a prime candidate for Knoblauch-itis. Just can't see that move at all, sorry.
    Oh I know it won't happen. Girardi is too concerned about hurting Jeter's ego. As bad as Nunez is defensively Jeter is worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Oh I know it won't happen. Girardi is too concerned about hurting Jeter's ego. As bad as Nunez is defensively Jeter is worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Even if his range is better, roughly 30+ errors a year playing full time would make him worse.

Blog Entries
    Maybe Girardi should suit up and play catcher for us. It's been a while since we've seen a player/manager.

Blog Entries
    What's with the Nunez lovefest here? He has an 88 OPS+ in 180 games and he can't field.

Even if his range is better, roughly 30+ errors a year playing full time would make him worse.
    Let's see if we can clarify a little.
    Let's say (assuming he plays full-time again) Jeter makes 10 errors again next year, his five-year average total.
    One angle is that Nuñez would have to save 20-plus hits that would get by Jeter, if he were in fact to make 30-plus errors as a full-timer.
    Some of the errors would likely be two-base throwing errors, so that's against Nuñez.
    But he'd also be more likely to keep some balls as infield hits, preventing runners from advancing an extra base.
    Also, some balls that far-ranging shortstops reach but can't hold are scored errors, whereas they're simply hits with shortstops that don't cover as much ground.

What else could enter the equation to support the (so far unsupported) contention?
    Last edited by VIBaseball; 01-28-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Maybe Girardi should suit up and play catcher for us. It's been a while since we've seen a player/manager.
    Hopefully, the next one will be Jeter next year when Girardi's contract is up. Then, onward to 4,257 by any means necessary at any expense.

Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    Let's see if we can clarify a little.
    Let's say (assuming he plays full-time again) Jeter makes 10 errors again next year, his five-year average total.
    One angle is that Nuñez would have to save 20-plus hits that would get by Jeter, if he were in fact to make 30-plus errors as a full-timer.
    Some of the errors would likely be two-base throwing errors, so that's against Nuñez.
    But he'd also be more likely to keep some balls as infield hits, preventing runners from advancing an extra base.
    Also, some balls that far-ranging shortstops reach but can't hold are scored errors, whereas they're simply hits with shortstops that don't cover as much ground.

What else could enter the equation to support the (so far unsupported) contention?
    In 2012 320 balls were hit into Jeter's zone. He made 239 plays. That's about 75%
    In his career at SS Nunez as fielded 116 of 148 balls hit into his zone. That's about 78%

Given 320 balls in his zone, and fielding at the same rate, Nunez would field 251 balls compared to Jeter's 239 - 12 more plays.

let's say they are both not good. who was the leader in that stat? (can you post that link)
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast