Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    False

True

Based on?

Yeah. Measuring things with numbers...what a ridiculous idea.
    Based on stats, my own opinion, and many broadcaster's comments. Fangraphs is not ridiculous at all, just not absolute. Aren't you the one that uses it in nearly every post? If you're the one I'm thinking of, it's basically you're Bible. I'd swear you would use it in not baseball, real life situations if you could. Again, if that's not you I'm thinking of, I do apologize.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    Jeter needs the NYY far more than The NYY needs Jeter, not even close.
    It's a two way street. I expect him to be more popular than ever with the A-Rod fiasco. Like it or not, they would lose fans without him, and right now there is nowhere to play him full time besides SS.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Fangraphs is not ridiculous at all, just not absolute.
    I don't know anyone who would claim that it is absolute.

It's almost certainly better than the opinions of broadcasters, though.

Aren't you the one that uses it in nearly every post?
    No.
    I do refer to it often, though.

If you're the one I'm thinking of, it's basically you're Bible.
    I'm not the Bible, nor any other work of art.
    One major difference between FanGraphs and religious texts is that religious texts teach you what to think, FanGraphs gives you information to allow you to make your own decisions.

I'd swear you would use it in not baseball, real life situations if you could.
    Analysis, data and rational thinking?
    I do use those things in real life situations.
    Last edited by filihok; 02-03-2013 at 03:01 PM.

How huge a backlash would there be if Jeter was let go. Probably pretty huge. The Yankees can't get rid of him unless he is terrible, more like absolutely terrible. Which I doubt he will be and if he is he'll get a second chance the next year... and if that second chance is anything hovering around average he'll get another year.
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    How huge a backlash would there be if Jeter was let go. Probably pretty huge. The Yankees can't get rid of him unless he is terrible, more like absolutely terrible. Which I doubt he will be and if he is he'll get a second chance the next year... and if that second chance is anything hovering around average he'll get another year.
    That's why they structured his contract the way they did. He has the option of coming back at reduced salary. Jeter is the one that has to make decision to walk away or only be overpaid less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    That's why they structured his contract the way they did. He has the option of coming back at reduced salary. Jeter is the one that has to make decision to walk away or only be overpaid less.

If he has a similar year to 2012, he won't take that option. He'll want a three year deal.

If he has a similar year to 2012, he won't take that option. He'll want a three year deal.
    Then let him be the bad guy and walk. No one would give him 3 more years.

You think $8 million is being overpaid if he maintains his second half 2011-2012 performance in 2013? Sure talk about changing positions( which won't happen most likely), but $8 million isn't overpaying for a person who hits .320, gets on base, etc.

I'm with NJYankeefan, if Jeter wants 3 years, let him walk. I would personally offer him a 1 year deal worth $13 million with a club option for a 2nd year worth $10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    You think $8 million is being overpaid if he maintains his second half 2011-2012 performance in 2013? Sure talk about changing positions( which won't happen most likely), but $8 million isn't overpaying for a person who hits .320, gets on base, etc.

I'm with NJYankeefan, if Jeter wants 3 years, let him walk. I would personally offer him a 1 year deal worth $13 million with a club option for a 2nd year worth $10 million.
    That is still a lot for a player with negative defensive value. If he is worth 2-3 wins, then $8 mm is in the ballpark fair.

He will likely decline though.

I would not offer a club option. Not exercising it would be a media nightmare. This way it is Jeter who is the bad guy in the tabloids if he walks.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

That is still a lot for a player with negative defensive value. If he is worth 2-3 wins, then $8 mm is in the ballpark fair.

I would not offer a club option. Not exercising it would be a media nightmare. This way it is Jeter who is the bad guy in the tabloids if he walks.

FanGraphs calculates the value of 1 WAR at something like $5 million.

So, $8 million is a pretty big bargain for a 2-3 WAR player, especially one who is a team/city/sport/cultural icon like Jeter.

double post

Koufax was not great in any era. he simply had the advantage of pitching when very few good hitters were around.
    I would actually say that there were more good hitters around then. Today with 14 more teams you have several hundred players who wouldn't
    even have been close to making it to the majors. Also most of today's hitters are very one dimensional. What's the biggest complaint about
    the current Yankee team? It's that they can't move runners along. Good fundamentals were valued more back then. BTW, if you had actually
    seen Koufax back in '63, 64 and 65, you wouldn't be making these ridiculous statements. OK rant over, grandpa's going to go have some warm
    milk and go take a nap now.

Quote Originally Posted by solderjockey View Post
    I would actually say that there were more good hitters around then. Today with 14 more teams you have several hundred players who wouldn't even have been close to making it to the majors.
    Then again, with so many teams (and therefore spots available) players have a chance to make it and absolutely shine where they wouldn't have in a more compressed league. I wonder how many possibly very good players never made it simply because there were so few opportunities to do so back before the expansion boom. I've said it before, so I have to stay with my pretzel logic - athletes have improved over time, and I doubt it's some phenomenon that it happens in every single sport except baseball. We as fans can get lost in the history of this game, but I'm a believer that the human race improves with each decade.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

But he would never be the bad guy in the NY tabloids, the team would be the one for not giving him a three year deal when he had a good year. I would give a three year deal at a reduced rate. After all, how else is he going to get to 4,000?

But he would never be the bad guy in the NY tabloids, the team would be the one for not giving him a three year deal when he had a good year. I would give a three year deal at a reduced rate. After all, how else is he going to get to 4,000?
    He does give out a lot of autographs.

God. I hope he is not. We are about the same age. Do you remember Pete Rose going for the record? Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    FanGraphs calculates the value of 1 WAR at something like $5 million.

So, $8 million is a pretty big bargain for a 2-3 WAR player, especially one who is a team/city/sport/cultural icon like Jeter.
    If he keeps it up. Big if. Chances are his offense will decline and his defense will get even worse.

More proof that steroids do not work:

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/02/pas...-clinic-82120/

Blog Entries
    More proof that steroids do not work:

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/02/pas...-clinic-82120/
    Why? Cervelli might be a keg softball catcher without them.

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Why? Cervelli might be a keg softball catcher without them.
    You mean you think they made him worse??? I was a keg softball catcher in my day!

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast