• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • White Knight
    Join Zap!
    • Jul 2007

2012/2013 New York Yankees Off-Season Thread

Well, now is as good as anytime to start this thread. There will have to be a lot of work done this off-season, more so than the last few years. I personally let Swisher walk and try and trade Granderson (of course, you have to pick up his option for that). Andruw Jones is a no-brainer gonner.

I'd also resign Ichiro. I think he rebounded big-time in NY, and could certainly get 200 hits again. Another option is Josh Hamilton. Too risky in NY or do we take a chance with a very restrictive contract with op-outs for substance abuse?
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!
  • TonyStarks
    Yankee Forum Janitor
    • Jun 2005

Yes to Ichiro, no to Hamilton. He'd fall off the wagon in NY.

---

FREE AGENTS

Nick Swisher
    Russell Martin
    Hiroki Kuroda
    Andy Pettitte
    Mariano Rivera
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Raul Ibanez
    Derek Lowe
    Eric Chavez
    Andruw Jones
    Freddy Garcia

CLUB OPTIONS

Robinson Cano ($14 million or $2 million buyout)
    Curtis Granderson ($13 million, $2 million buyout)

PLAYER OPTION

Rafael Soriano (owed $14 million for 2013, or can take $1.5 million buyout and become a free agent).
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Yankee Mystique
      • Aug 2007

Resign Ibanez and Ichiro. Get rid of Granderson. I agree about Ichiro still being able to hit 200 hits and hes a better leadoff guy than Jeter. He'll take more pitches depending on the situation. We have to go back to the Damn/Knoblauch leadoff then Jeter formula.

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
        2005 World Series Champs
        • Jun 2010

Bob Nightengale of USA Today wrote that the Whitesox are a leading contender for Alex Rodriguez. With some of the pickups Kenny Williams has done this wouldn't surprise me. (Ken Griffey Jr. Manny Ramirez Kevin Youkilis.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Yankee Mystique
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
          Bob Nightengale of USA Today wrote that the Whitesox are a leading contender for Alex Rodriguez. With some of the pickups Kenny Williams has done this wouldn't surprise me. (Ken Griffey Jr. Manny Ramirez Kevin Youkilis.
          I just read that Arod is staying put. Will refuse to waive his no trade clause. He said he has a lot to prove he says.

Comment

• Blue387
            Ya gotta believe
            • Jul 2010

I hope the Marlins get A-Rod.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
              • Dec 2008

I would probably bring back Swisher. Although his post season record is looking more like a real problem than just a small sample size fluke. As much as I like him I could go either way.

Deal Granderson if there is a good deal. If not keep him one more year and let Swish go. But with a qualifying offer. We need the pics.

Let Soriano walk. Again make the offer. If he turns down his option, he will turn that down.

Bring Martin back. No other good options and his defense May be worth the lousy bat. But just for 1 or 2 years. Let Cervelli back him up.
              Bring Andy back if possible. Kuroda will likely want multiple years. Let phelps and nova round out the rotation.

Spend big on a Dh. But big on a short deal.

Move Jeter to Rf. Play Nunez.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                2005 World Series Champs
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Yankee Mystique View Post
                I just read that Arod is staying put. Will refuse to waive his no trade clause. He said he has a lot to prove he says.
                I gotta admit it will be interesting how it pans out for him if he stays.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                  I gotta admit it will be interesting how it pans out for him if he stays.
                  He was a good but not great player this year. I think he will turn it around next year. Not back to prior levels. But better than most 3b.

Comment

• White Knight
                    Join Zap!
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                    I would probably bring back Swisher. Although his post season record is looking more like a real problem than just a small sample size fluke. As much as I like him I could go either way.

Deal Granderson if there is a good deal. If not keep him one more year and let Swish go. But with a qualifying offer. We need the pics.

Let Soriano walk. Again make the offer. If he turns down his option, he will turn that down.

Bring Martin back. No other good options and his defense May be worth the lousy bat. But just for 1 or 2 years. Let Cervelli back him up.
                    Bring Andy back if possible. Kuroda will likely want multiple years. Let phelps and nova round out the rotation.

Spend big on a Dh. But big on a short deal.

Move Jeter to Rf. Play Nunez.

Don't forget Ichiro. How much and how many years?

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                      Don't forget Ichiro. How much and how many years?
                      1 and 5. I would take him back but do not see him as an everyday player.

He is essentially a slower worse hitting poorer defensive version of Brett Gardner at this stage of his career.

He did well overall as a Yank and had some great streaks as well as a few bad ones.

He was below replacement level with the mariners and has declined for 3 or 4 straight years. I do not want to count on him reversing that due to a strong September.

An of Gardner, Granderson and Suzuki does not have enough power imo. It certainly would be a good defensive of. But defense first outsiders are cheap to come by.

Chris Dickerson is probably a better alternative at the minimum. Just as good defense along with good power and speed. Plus in his career he has always hit righties. Something the Yanks could really use more of.

Comment

• White Knight
                        Join Zap!
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                        1 and 5. I would take him back but do not see him as an everyday player.

He is essentially a slower worse hitting poorer defensive version of Brett Gardner at this stage of his career.

He did well overall as a Yank and had some great streaks as well as a few bad ones.

He was below replacement level with the mariners and has declined for 3 or 4 straight years. I do not want to count on him reversing that due to a strong September.

An of Gardner, Granderson and Suzuki does not have enough power imo. It certainly would be a good defensive of. But defense first outsiders are cheap to come by.

Chris Dickerson is probably a better alternative at the minimum. Just as good defense along with good power and speed. Plus in his career he has always hit righties. Something the Yanks could really use more of.

He is slower, but still fast. He can do 25 stolen bases, and his defense is still very good. Worse hitter? I disagree. I think he will hit for higher average and even have more home runs than Gardner.

Comment

• White Knight
                          Join Zap!
                          • Jul 2007

So what do we do with Soriano? What happens if we let him walk after he ops out, and Mo is in decline?

Comment

• TonyStarks
                            Yankee Forum Janitor
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                            So what do we do with Soriano? What happens if we let him walk after he ops out, and Mo is in decline?
                            Let him walk? He can opt out at any time he wants.

The Yanks could turn to Robertson and give him a real shot, or they could try Joba in that role.
                            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• White Knight
                              Join Zap!
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
                              Let him walk? He can opt out at any time he wants.

The Yanks could turn to Robertson and give him a real shot, or they could try Joba in that role.
                              I know, but after he opts out they can give him another contract, or pass. Joba would be interesting to say the least. I like him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X