X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJYankeeFan
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
    Ladies and gentleman, we have entered the Josh Hamilton talks!

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/07/ya...?sct=mlb_t2_a4
    I might like this. If the contract is structured with lots of vesting options. It might be able to be done in a manner that would not blow up the budget in 2014. Let's say he wants 5 - 125. Fine.

2013 - 15 mm
    2014 - 15 mm
    2015 Vesting Option based on 250 games played the prior two years and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2016 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
    2017 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm.

Added a couple mm extra to account for slight present value of first two years at a discount. I think that would work for the salary cap issues. Not 100% positive though.

Comment

• clipper
      Proud to be a Yankee Fan
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
      I might like this. If the contract is structured with lots of vesting options. It might be able to be done in a manner that would not blow up the budget in 2014. Let's say he wants 5 - 125. Fine.

2013 - 15 mm
      2014 - 15 mm
      2015 Vesting Option based on 250 games played the prior two years and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
      2016 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm
      2017 Vesting Option based on 120 games played the prior year and no drug or other violations - 33 mm.

Added a couple mm extra to account for slight present value of first two years at a discount. I think that would work for the salary cap issues. Not 100% positive though.
      I heard most teams are at 3 - 4 years around 80-100. I like that better than any 33M/yr. Can't they give bonuses that will not count?

Comment

• filihok
        Team Veteran
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post

2013 - 15 mm
        2014 - 15 mm

He's not signing for $30 million guaranteed.

Comment

• dominik
          • Oct 2008

I think it will take at least 6 years 150 millions to sign him (not that I think this would be an intelligent signing).
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• The Monument
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
            I'll never understand comments like this one. Would you rather the Steinbrenners pocket the extra money? Why should players not earn as much as they can on the open market?
            As much as I can't stand the steinbrenners, why shouldn't they pocket the money? They OWN the organization. The players are employees. I understand that the fans are paying to see the players play, but lets be reasonable with the salaries and ticket prices. A large portion of the money comes from television contracts, which is why the games are now 3 hours instead of two. Longer games, more advertisements, more concessions sold. I have no doubt that players are told to step out of the box and fiddle with their batting gloves after every pitch. "Listen Jeter, the longer the game goes on, the more money you'll make". The players should make big bucks, but not so much that the best seats in the house cost hundreds of dollars. I'm thinking from a fans point of view, and I wish that my fellow fans would stop foolishly paying so much for tickets. It's an old argument, and if it didn't happen after the strike in '94 then it will never happen. I cancelled my ticket plan back then, but someone else bought it a minute later. I'll never understand thinking like that--"Screw me over, I'll gladly pay for it"!
            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by filihok View Post
              He's not signing for $30 million guaranteed.
              Probably not. Unless he is very confident he could meet the options and no one else offers him a better alternative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• dominik
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                As much as I can't stand the steinbrenners, why shouldn't they pocket the money? They OWN the organization. The players are employees. I understand that the fans are paying to see the players play, but lets be reasonable with the salaries and ticket prices. A large portion of the money comes from television contracts, which is why the games are now 3 hours instead of two. Longer games, more advertisements, more concessions sold. I have no doubt that players are told to step out of the box and fiddle with their batting gloves after every pitch. "Listen Jeter, the longer the game goes on, the more money you'll make". The players should make big bucks, but not so much that the best seats in the house cost hundreds of dollars. I'm thinking from a fans point of view, and I wish that my fellow fans would stop foolishly paying so much for tickets. It's an old argument, and if it didn't happen after the strike in '94 then it will never happen. I cancelled my ticket plan back then, but someone else bought it a minute later. I'll never understand thinking like that--"Screw me over, I'll gladly pay for it"!
                this might be true. I think the same happens sometimes in boxing. here in europe the klitschko brothers are very popular. but of course the heavyweight division sucks so they have to really try hard to not knock their opponents out early and so that their TV station can sell more commericial breaks. they are making like 10 million bucks per fight so their station wants some commecials to pay them.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• GiambiJuice
                  • May 2005

Can you provide any evidence that lowering player salaries would reduce ticket prices?
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• The Monument
                    • Feb 2007

Yes. When the highest paid players made $100,000, the ticket prices ranged from $1.50 to $4.00. Now the highest paid players make 25-30 million and prices range from $15.00 to $1,500. Of course when owners try to reign in salaries, they are accused of collusion.
                    Last edited by The Monument; 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM.
                    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
                      • Dec 2008

Yes. When the highest paid players made $100,000, the ticket prices ranged from $1.50 to $4.00. Now the highest paid players make 25-30 million and prices range from $15.00 to $1,500. Of course when owners try to reign in salaries, they are accused of collusion.
                      Correlation does not prove causation. Player salaries do not drive ticket prices. Demand drives ticket prices.

If there is the same demand, they will charge the same price. Regardless of whether the payroll is $215mm, $189 mm or $15 mm.

Comment

• White Knight
                        Join Zap!
                        • Jul 2007

Looks like Ichiro is likely coming back:

TUESDAY, 5:28pm: With Kevin Youkilis in the fold, the Yankees will next look to finalize a deal with Ichiro Suzuki, …
                        Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

• The Monument
                          • Feb 2007

Yes, if fans continue to pay the prices, the prices will remain high.Of course owners will charge what the market will bear. But you can't tell me that those prices have nothing to do with salaries.

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
                            • Dec 2008

Yes, if fans continue to pay the prices, the prices will remain high.Of course owners will charge what the market will bear. But you can't tell me that those prices have nothing to do with salaries.
                            So you are telling me the owners would charge less if they paid less in salary and demand to go the games was the same? They would just leave money on the table out of the kindness of their hearts??

The only relation that salaries play to ticket prices is that in bringing in star players at high salaries you should be able to field a better more interesting team and generate more demand for tickets.

Or you could be the Pirates.

Comment

• Steven Gallanter
                              • Feb 2009

I worked in a Boston hotel for close to 5 years. A single room during the slowest week in January went for $69. During college graduation weeks in Boston the very same room went for $349. There was the occasional empty room in January, there was a waiting list in May. It was a 40 room boutique hotel. There is only a slight relationship between price and payroll. if payroll goes down, and it does more often than you think; prices do not decline. the market is the primary determinate.

Oh yeah Monument, TV used to be free.

Comment

• Joltin' Joe
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                Looks like Ichiro is likely coming back:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...gn-ichiro.html
                                Wow I'm surprised, I didn't think the NYY were interested.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X