Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Ready For Some Football?!

This is gonna sound controversial, but I feel baseball is such a more civilized sport than football. It is for more intelligent people, and while I enjoy football, those who go nuts over it are usually barbaric brutes and troublemakers.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

I like the fact that living outside of the US I get baseball all year round...once the Major League season is done our domestic league over here is getting under way, so there is always baseball for me to follow.

I was a big fan of football (both pro and college) for quite a few years but like many here got tired of the hype etc and now find it utterly tedious to watch and only watch the Super Bowl if I go to my mates party his family throw for it.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    This is gonna sound controversial, but I feel baseball is such a more civilized sport than football. It is for more intelligent people, and while I enjoy football, those who go nuts over it are usually barbaric brutes and troublemakers.
    I agree...

Anyone who thinks football is NOT for barbarians should go to a Raiders home game.

"If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew82 View Post
    I like the fact that living outside of the US I get baseball all year round...once the Major League season is done our domestic league over here is getting under way, so there is always baseball for me to follow.

I was a big fan of football (both pro and college) for quite a few years but like many here got tired of the hype etc and now find it utterly tedious to watch and only watch the Super Bowl if I go to my mates party his family throw for it.
    The new Aussie competition started the year I left for the USA. I would certainly be enjoying it if I was back home. I do miss Rugby though. I watch the NFL and College football but would take Rugby any day, it is far more exciting than American Football. When in Rome.......!!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    The new Aussie competition started the year I left for the USA. I would certainly be enjoying it if I was back home. I do miss Rugby though. I watch the NFL and College football but would take Rugby any day, it is far more exciting than American Football. When in Rome.......!!
    I feel there is more strategy in rugby and I like the non-stop action of the game. Having watched my son play for four years in college I am now beginning to appreciate the game. There are almost as many guys playing college rugby as there are playing college football or college baseball. More people play rugby around the globe than play American football.

Unfortunately US Rugby will never grow in popularity unless youth and school programs are offered everywhere. I don't see pop warner and high school football programs or little league baseball programs giving the thumbs up to rugby. But when you compare the cost of equipment then playing rugby is much cheaper.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Rugby League Its fast, exciting, action packed, fierce tackling, big hits, & tactical thinking.

What more could you want

The game is simple:

* The aim is to place the ball behind the goal line (like a touch down but the ball must be controlled & touch the field). This is called a try
    * When a team scores a try they can then attempt to kick the ball over the goal cross bar. This is called a conversion.

Try = 4 points
    Conversion = 2 points
    Field Goal = 1 point

* The player with the ball has to pass it behind him
    * He can kick the ball forward but the receiving player has to be behind the kicker when it is kicked
    * A team can get tackled five times in their attempt to score
    * If the attacking team gets caught in a sixth tackle they have to hand the ball to the other team

PLEASE ENJOY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCBDg9xBW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLlX...eature=related
    I believe in all that - in baseball, in picnics, in freedom. Walt Whitman, 1888

Quote Originally Posted by AussieYank View Post
    Rugby League – It’s fast, exciting, action packed, fierce tackling, big hits, & tactical thinking.

What more could you want

The game is simple:

* The aim is to place the ball behind the goal line (like a touch down but the ball must be controlled & touch the field). This is called a try
    * When a team scores a try they can then attempt to kick the ball over the goal cross bar. This is called a conversion.

Try = 4 points
    Conversion = 2 points
    Field Goal = 1 point

* He can kick the ball forward but the receiving player has to be behind the kicker when it is kicked
    * If the attacking team gets caught in a sixth tackle they have to hand the ball to the other team

PLEASE ENJOY:

Can any of these guys ice skate?

A lot of newer players tend to throw one too many passes that are picked off by their opponents. Thanks for sharing these.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Quote Originally Posted by AussieYank View Post
    Rugby League – It’s fast, exciting, action packed, fierce tackling, big hits, & tactical thinking.

What more could you want

The game is simple:

Try = 4 points
    Conversion = 2 points
    Field Goal = 1 point

PLEASE ENJOY:

Some spectacular try scoring there, but in a way the game has become a little pedestrian. It is still far more exciting than American Football and there is no need for helmets or huge padding because the players learn from a young age how to tackle properly. There were at least 5 concussions in the last weekend of NFL despite the helmets (which to me are a weapon not a protection). There would hardly be 5 concussions in a full season of NRL or Rugby. And a touchdown is just that: a touchdown. The ball must touch the ground while the player has full control, not just cross an imaginary 'plane'. The second video shows some great hits (tackles) but also shows some of the ugly side of the game. The punch ups highlighted were probably over about 4 or 5 seasons, they are not a day to day occurrence. The boys do get testy at times! And the punch ups do generally result in the offenders getting 10 minutes in the 'sin-bin' to cool down. Occasionally one may get sent off for the rest of the game if the offence is too bad.
    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 11-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

I do love football, grew up watching it as well, a big Washington Redskins/Notre Dame/Virginia Tech fan. I love sports overall. But baseball is a different story. Now I dont often post on here, not a soul here who isnt more educated then me on baseball. I came up as a young kid who loved baseball, left if for my teen years, up until a couple years ago, I started watching again, and now that my son was born in Sept 2011, it has brought me full force back into this game. I guess having a child brings it back.....it is more than just a game, hate that I turned my back on her so many years ago. But there is nothing like baseball....no other sports can compare. Someone made the comment about it being a game of intelligence....I have to agree, even my wife, who hates sports, says that of all the sports I like she respects baseball the most cause it seems more like an intellectual sport.....

Gotta admit, football's awesome this weekend. Great matchups and the wonder of who will play who next week as the top teams have byes.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

NBC's at risk here since CBS is showing #1 UConn vs #5 ND girls basketball. After seeing 6 consecutive missed shots from inside the paint... nah.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

No NY teams and no Cowboys in the playoffs equals no more watching for me.

No NY teams and no Cowboys in the playoffs equals no more watching for me.
    I think the Ravens and Vikings have a couple of players who own cattle ranches.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

The Bengals/Texans game is on in the background as I type this, but I couldn't name a Bengal or Texan player to save my life, so I can't really get involved. I'll probably watch the Vikings/Packers later tonight, at least I've heard of some of them.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    The Bengals/Texans game is on in the background as I type this, but I couldn't name a Bengal or Texan player to save my life, so I can't really get involved. I'll probably watch the Vikings/Packers later tonight, at least I've heard of some of them.
    I think ESPN is worse for its recognition of NFL players than they are for MLB players. They may as well be run by White Knight considering the teams he cares about and add the Patriots.

My parents leave for Florida for the rest of winter next week. Dad's really looking forward to spring training.

I am.

It is funny how football shows are devoted to what may happen this weekend.

"This team has to do this."
    "They have to stop this guy."
    "If they do this, the other team will do that."
    "Will the travel affect the Seahawks?"
    "Which player is the x-factor?"

With baseball we don't have entire weeks between games so you don't have such overkill with the pre-game chatter.

Tight game so far between Baltimore and Denver. I really expected Manning and Co. to take off early, but I remember his issues in the past with cold weather. Regardless, it's a tight battle that's been fun to watch so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Tight game so far between Baltimore and Denver. I really expected Manning and Co. to take off early, but I remember his issues in the past with cold weather. Regardless, it's a tight battle that's been fun to watch so far.
    The playoffs, thus far, have been very entertaining. Only one real blowout game.

Baseball won't really have that because of the pacing. But that's it. I'll watch the playoffs and look forward to pitchers and catchers reporting. Derek Jeter is rehabbing in Tampa. Can we say it has begun already?

Super Bowl Sunday! Even many who don't like football partake in this game, even if it's just to party with friends / family or to watch the commercials. Hopefully, it'll be a good game as many of the past SBs have after a decaded or so of blowouts.

Monday is said to be the least productive business day in America. More people take off or call in sick the day after the SB than any other business day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Monday is said to be the least productive business day in America. More people take off or call in sick the day after the SB than any other business day.
    Why is that?

Probably because of massive hangovers.
    "If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Probably because of massive hangovers.
    Can't be worse than New Years Day hangovers. The average drinking time lasts far longer and deeper into the night than on Super Bowl Sunday.

Can't be worse than New Years Day hangovers. The average drinking time lasts far longer and deeper into the night than on Super Bowl Sunday.
    Most people do not have to work on 1/1 as opposed to the day after the Super Bowl when pretty much all businesses are open.

Quote Originally Posted by Muncus Agruncus View Post
    Most people do not have to work on 1/1 as opposed to the day after the Super Bowl when pretty much all businesses are open.
    Exactly. Also, NYE can fall on a Friday/Saturday night in which many businesses are closed during weekends anyway. But the SB is always on a Sunday. Three of my friends have taken this day off for years. I do the same thing - except for opening day of baseball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast