• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Honus Wagner Rules
    xFIP?! I laugh at you!
    • Nov 2004

San Francisco Giants 2012 Offseason Thread

Now that the Giants have clinched the franchise's 7th World Series title the off-season has begun. The Giants have lots of personnel decisions to make. Discuss!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis
  • Honus Wagner Rules
    xFIP?! I laugh at you!
    • Nov 2004

So it has begun. The Giants did NOT make qualifying offers to Jeremy Affeldt, Melky Cabrera, nor Angel Pagan. As Rich the Giants Fan has explained in another thread under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), in order to receive draft-pick compensation for losing a free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to a potential free agent. The qualifying offer is a one-year contract offer for the average of the top 125 salaries, which is $13.3 million this season. According to the linked article below not offering a qualify offer to Pagan may have been a bad move.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• KHenry14
      Gigantes Moderator
      • Feb 2004

This issue boils down to a sandwich draft pick? Honestly, maybe they would get that, but is it that big a deal? Also, no matter what Pagan's WAR was, NO WAY he's getting or is worth 22Mil. My guess is that a three year deal for between 40-45 will get it done. He's a great fit for the Giants, and from what I hear he LOVES playing for the team. And really, what type of market will there be for him? He'll get offers for sure, but not superstar offers. And does he want to play for the Mariners or Pirates or Brewers? Or for the World Champs? I expect him to re-up with the team.

The issue for the team really is LF. Blanco was terrific defensively, but there's no way he's a regular LF over 162 games. He's way too streaky for my blood. We can do better IMO. However, I do want to keep Blanco on the team. He's a great defensive sub, a pinch runner and all around pest. This is also where Melky screwed us over, this is a hole that shouldn't need to be filled.

We will need to replace Mota's spot in the pen, and maybe Heath Hembree takes that spot. Might be a good place for the kid to get some experience without much pressure being placed on him. The other problem is that Wilson will be coming back and he'll need a spot someplace. Georgie Kontos did a terrific job late in the season and he's cheap, but he's also easily replaceable. So maybe Weezy takes Kontos' spot.

Of our FA's the one I'm most concerned about is Affeldt. He clearly wants to get paid, and my reading the tea leaves is that he's going to go wherever the best offer is. His issue is that no teams pay top dollar for what he does, so one hopes he understands that. But I'm betting he finds himself elsewhere.

And my concern with Scutaro is only that his situation is just like Aubrey Huff's. Come off a great year late in his career, gets two year deal, and stinks up the joint. I don't think that will happen here, but it is a concern.

Not a lot of holes to fill, but I hate standing pat. Move forward, don't stand still.
      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
        The Natural
        • Jan 2009

I would not pay Pagan big money. If worse comes to worse, get a LF and put Blanco in CF. I am OK with that. He had a really good May and a decent September and was good in the post season. I think he can be more consistent and he is valuable on the bases and in the field.

What they need is a RH 1B as a backup - having two LH 1B was useless. Brett Pill or someone else. Scutaro will be a solid player and he is a good influence on many players including Panda.

Affeldt is a good pitcher but again I would not go crazy if another teams signs him for a ridiculous amount. If he wants to stay here at a reasonable pay, that would be OK

They have Clay Hensley still right? Plus Wilson coming back (I guess). Dump Mota and don't worry about it.

1. LF/CF Pagan or other
        2. Backup RH 1B Pill or other
        3. Affeldt or similar
        4. 4th OF or Blanco if Pagan stays
        Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM.
        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
          xFIP?! I laugh at you!
          • Nov 2004

Michael Borne is a free agent. He may be too expensive for the Giants, though.

Comment

• KHenry14
            Gigantes Moderator
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            Michael Borne is a free agent. He may be too expensive for the Giants, though.
            He's too expensive because Scott Boras is his agent... :choke:
            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
              xFIP?! I laugh at you!
              • Nov 2004

If the Giants don't resign Angel Pagan what do you guys think about Nick Swisher?

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                The Natural
                • Jan 2009

from sfgate.com

I’m working on confirming a report from CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman that the Giants have reached an agreement on a three-year deal with left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt. Heyman reported the deal is worth just over $18 million.

Affeldt, 33, has been an integral part of the Giants’ bullpen, never more than in 2012 as he helped fill the void left by Brian Wilson. He pitched in 67 games in each of the past two years and has been a Giant since 2009.

During the 2012 postseason he did not allow a run in 10 1/3 innings.

General manager Brian Sabean has said his top priority was re-signing Affeldt, Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro. Affeldt’s return might be the most important given uncertainty about Wilson’s ability to close in 2013.
                Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM.
                1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                  The Natural
                  • Jan 2009

If the Giants don't resign Angel Pagan what do you guys think about Nick Swisher?
                  not a good fit

Comment

• KHenry14
                    Gigantes Moderator
                    • Feb 2004

You just had to figure that Affeldt had set his roots in SF , and if the team came up with a competitive offer he'd sign in a heartbeat, and that's what happened. Good move for player and for the team.

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                      The Natural
                      • Jan 2009

Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt and the Giants agreed to terms on a three-year contract, a person familiar with the negotiations said Monday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. Affeldt is expected to undergo a physical Tuesday in San Francisco, another person with knowledge of the situation said, and that is typically the final step in completing a contract.

CBS Sports reported that the deal is for $18 million over three seasons.

Affeldt, 33, went 1-2 with a 2.70 ERA in 67 appearances covering 63 1/3 innings this season for the World Series champions.

When the season ended, Affeldt said he wanted to stay with San Francisco but needed a multiyear deal to provide some security for his family; he has a wife and three young sons. Affeldt also was a key member of the bullpen during the club's 2010 run to the franchise's first championship since 1954.

General manager Brian Sabean called re-signing Affeldt one of his top offseason priorities. Affeldt lives on the West Coast in his hometown of Spokane, Wash., so re-signing with the Giants was appealing from that standpoint as well.

He has spent the past four of his 11 major-league seasons with San Francisco, going 10-9 with a 2.73 ERA in 237 1/3 innings over 261 appearances.

Affeldt dealt with two fluke, non-baseball injuries the past two seasons.

In late April, he sprained his right knee and went on the disabled list after he reached out to catch his son, Walker, as the 60-pound 4-year-old jumped off the couch to hug his arriving father.

On Sept. 8, 2011, the pitcher sliced his non-throwing hand nearly to the artery while separating frozen hamburgers during an outdoor barbecue with his family on an off day. The paring knife he was using pushed through a hamburger patty and deep into his hand. Affeldt came within a millimeter of an artery and underwent surgery about eight hours after the injury to repair nerve damage in his pinkie.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article...#ixzz2C53pq4wt

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                        The Natural
                        • Jan 2009

Reports suggest that the Giants are close to re-signing NLCS MVP, Marco Scutaro, to a two year deal worth a reported 12 million dollars. With the re-signing of Affeldt and Scutaro, along with the depth of this year's free agent outfield class, there is little doubt now that the Giants will have a very successful offseason coming off their second World Series crown in three years.

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
                          xFIP?! I laugh at you!
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                          not a good fit
                          Because?

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                            The Natural
                            • Jan 2009

Because?

slow afoot, poor fielder, ATT is not a park to induce Home runs

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                              The Natural
                              • Jan 2009

Now that left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt is signed for 2013 and beyond, second baseman Marco Scutaro might be next.

Affeldt passed a physical Tuesday, the final step in completing a three-year contract reportedly worth about $18 million. The Giants have not formally announced the deal.

According to multiple sources, the Giants are optimistic they can re-sign Scutaro, who delivered the World Series-clinching single in Detroit and, at 37, is not expecting to break the bank with his contract. He likely will get a two-year deal.

Center fielder Angel Pagan, the third important free agent the Giants hope to retain, is not expected to sign quickly as he sorts through several offers. The Giants have checked on other free-agent center fielders, including Torii Hunter and Shane Victorino, as insurance.

Affeldt pitched 67 games in each of the past two seasons and did not allow a run in 10 1/3 postseason innings this year.

"This was a critical sign for us to get Jeremy back," manager Bruce Bochy said. "He can give you multiple innings. He's effective against lefties and righties. He did a really good job stabilizing our bullpen from the sixth inning through the ninth.

"We used him anywhere. We used him in a lot of crisis situations late in the ballgame. He's really gotten better as a complete pitcher."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article...#ixzz2CAHO7ITO

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X