• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DownUnderDodger
    Learning all the time.
    • Aug 2002

Mark McGwire to be new Hitting Coach

The official website of the Los Angeles Dodgers with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

If this plays out it could not be any worse than this past season.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda
  • bhss89
    The hips drive the swing
    • Mar 2004

I am taking a "wait and see" approach on this one. True, we finished 13th in hitting this past season, but it all depends if players and coach are willing to work together. At any rate, it's a done deal.
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

• bhss89
      The hips drive the swing
      • Mar 2004

Great addition to bench corps in signing Schumaker. He is a SoCal dweller who works frequently with Nig Mac according to team site. Gonna come in handy in PHing spots and when occasional tests are needed for starters. Plus, he seems like a cool dude who will be great in the clubhouse and a fan fav.
      "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

• Herr28
        A Midsummer Knight
        • Jan 2012

I think McGwire will do great for you guys this year. He is going back home and I believe he did a great job with a lot of our Redbird hitters. Also, Skip Schumaker will be a nice addition to your team! I loved that guy these past 6 or so years with our team. Great teammate, hard worker, and pretty good contact hitter that plays a decent CF and really not too bad at 2B either. I will certainly miss both of these guys this year, and I hope they do well for your team! Good luck Dodgers fans, it would be exciting to see you guys go deep in the postseason! I always liked those fine Dodgers teams back in the '80s.
        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• crzblue
          • Nov 2005

Always liked Skip Schumaker so I am happy about him. McGwire got to win me over.

Comment

• Herr28
            A Midsummer Knight
            • Jan 2012

I know that injuries have truly plagued the Dodgers this season (maybe more so than any other possible division winning pick before the season started), but I was wondering how Big Mac has done so far? I know it is early, but I was just wondering if there have been any stories around the LA area talking about the new hitting coach, good or bad.

He really did work well with a lot of our guys in St. Louis, and I was hoping that would translate well when he went back home to SoCal.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
              Learning all the time.
              • Aug 2002

Dodgers offense is not producing at all and Skip is part of that. I don't know whether it is McGwire, the players' attitude or both, but it is not working right now!

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• Herr28
                A Midsummer Knight
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
                Dodgers offense is not producing at all and Skip is part of that. I don't know whether it is McGwire, the players' attitude or both, but it is not working right now!
                I don't know. Skip had a 15 game hitting streak when he started seeing more playing time. I know he was a decent hitter when he played everyday, but wasn't so good sitting a lot and coming in cold. That's why he wanted to leave St. Louis, the playing time was affecting his hitting. He isn't ever going to be anything more than a singles-hitter, and may still get the BA up around the .300 mark. What do they call those slap hitters? A banjo hitter? Just a solid singles guy, doesn't walk or strikeout a lot.

McGwire looked pissed in that brawl! He got Puig out of there (thank God) and then charged right back into the D-Backs side of the fray grabbing guys! Crazy. I bet he is super frustrated with this season, like many of the guys on that team (not to mention fans, obviously). He is a very good hitting coach, he understands hitting a LOT better than some people think. Some just remember him as a young, big, powerful 1B with the A's (Bash Brother) swinging from his heels. He was for the first few years, but really learned how to be a successful hitter and not just a big time slugger.

Comment

• jnakamura
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                  I don't know. Skip had a 15 game hitting streak when he started seeing more playing time. I know he was a decent hitter when he played everyday, but wasn't so good sitting a lot and coming in cold. That's why he wanted to leave St. Louis, the playing time was affecting his hitting. He isn't ever going to be anything more than a singles-hitter, and may still get the BA up around the .300 mark. What do they call those slap hitters? A banjo hitter? Just a solid singles guy, doesn't walk or strikeout a lot.

McGwire looked pissed in that brawl! He got Puig out of there (thank God) and then charged right back into the D-Backs side of the fray grabbing guys! Crazy. I bet he is super frustrated with this season, like many of the guys on that team (not to mention fans, obviously). He is a very good hitting coach, he understands hitting a LOT better than some people think. Some just remember him as a young, big, powerful 1B with the A's (Bash Brother) swinging from his heels. He was for the first few years, but really learned how to be a successful hitter and not just a big time slugger.
                  Agree.

You can't pin it on McGwire anymore than you can pin the bullpen's 15 losses on Honeycutt. I blame the players and even Mattingly. Has he hit and run even once this season? He's probably the most conservative, least imaginative managers I've ever seen.
                  I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Herr28
                    A Midsummer Knight
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                    Agree.

You can't pin it on McGwire anymore than you can pin the bullpen's 15 losses on Honeycutt. I blame the players and even Mattingly. Has he hit and run even once this season? He's probably the most conservative, least imaginative managers I've ever seen.
                    Has Mattingly been taking a lot of heat for the way this season has gone? I have seen some comments here, but haven't really paid much attention elsewhere. What's the word on him keeping his job out there? I imagine (despite the ridiculous amount of injuries) that he can't be all that comfrtable in his job security with the expectations placed on this new team and ownership group...

Comment

• jnakamura
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                      Has Mattingly been taking a lot of heat for the way this season has gone? I have seen some comments here, but haven't really paid much attention elsewhere. What's the word on him keeping his job out there? I imagine (despite the ridiculous amount of injuries) that he can't be all that comfrtable in his job security with the expectations placed on this new team and ownership group...
                      When Brandon League blew his last save, League was booed when he left the field, but the boos when Mattingly left the field were, as ESPN described them, "thunderous". ESPN wasn't exaggerating--I've never heard a Dodger manager booed off the field that loudly before.

The boos were loud for Brandon League, but they were thunderous for Don Mattingly.

When the Los Angeles Dodgers manager walked back to the dugout after finally relieving League of the ball in the ninth inning, the damage well done in a costly 5-4 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks, a smallish but feisty crowd rained down their frustration from every corner of Dodger Stadium.

It was one of the louder bouts of home-team booing this season
                      Management hasn't said anything except that they're not planning on making any changes (said several weeks ago). But I can't see them renewing his contract.
                      I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                      - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Herr28
                        A Midsummer Knight
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                        When Brandon League blew his last save, League was booed when he left the field, but the boos when Mattingly left the field were, as ESPN described them, "thunderous". ESPN wasn't exaggerating--I've never heard a Dodger manager booed off the field that loudly before.

Management hasn't said anything except that they're not planning on making any changes (said several weeks ago). But I can't see them renewing his contract.
                        Man, that's ugly and too bad. I always like Mattingly, as a player, but I don't have any idea what kind of manager he has been. Too bad. It sucks when a team gets a great player as MGR, then gives them far too much rope to get hung with, like Alan Trammell with those terrible Tigers in 2003. Sometimes you just have to scrap the idea and start fresh with someone else. I wonder if that isn't why so many very successful players don't want to manage after they are done. Either they don't want to, or they know they couldn't do it and it would just end up tarnishing their image.

Mattingly would be better off going someplace else. The Dodgers should let him go, get someone else to try and piece something together this year (I am still hoping they don't completely fall flat and can get something going) and let Don go and try again elsewhere. He should have gone down to the minors to manage first, like Ryne Sandberg did.

What do you think of Tim Wallach? I was talking to a bunch of Round Rock season ticket holders last week when the Isotopes were in town. Matt Wallach went 3-4 with a HR in that game, so Tim came up. They were saying he was something like PCL MGR of the Year I guess not too long ago. I hate to derail the thread about McGwire with this, but just curious what you think about giving Tim Wallach a shot, at least to finish this year?

Who would you like to see come in (if not Wallach, a former MLB AS 3B and former Dodger) and take the reins next year to try and get this team back to where they belong, on top of the West?

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                          Learning all the time.
                          • Aug 2002

Listening to Mattingly (and watching in frustration at his fidgety hands) I don't see a lot of spark. He seems too blasé although that possibly doesn't exactly indicate his managing style. I think the main problem with the team is lack of leadership both in the clubhouse and on the field. Puig has added some spark on the field and that seems to be rubbing off a little, as well as getting players healthy again, but offense is still lacking with way too many stranded in scoring position and LOB and they seem to hit into way too many double plays. On only 10 occasions have they scored more than 6 in a game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X